- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Convergence Relationship between Job Stress and Mental Health of Subway Operators after the Installation of Screen Doors
안전문(screen doors) 설치 이후 지하철 기관사의 직무스트레스와 정신건강과의 융복합적 관련성
- Choi, Suk-Kyong (Department of Nursing, Kyungdong of University)
- 최숙경 (경동대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.02.21
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
This study was conducted to determine the relationship between the job stress levels of 669 subway operators in Seoul after the installation of screen doors and their mental health. Data were collected using a structured questionnaire and via web site. A multiple linear regression analysis was conducted using the SPSS 20.0 statistical program. The total score of job stress turned to be higher than the standard score, and physical environment, job demand, insufficient job autonomy, interpersonal conflict and occupational climate were within the top 50% and organizational system within the top 25%. A correlation analysis revealed that job stress was positively correlated with all sub-domains of mental health. In terms of effects of job stress on mental health, there were significant differences according to job demand, organizational system, lack of reward and occupational climate, with an explanatory power of 36.6%. It is expected that this study can provide foundation for the establishment of organizational measures accustomed to job characteristics to prevent job stress of subway operators and the development and implementation of intervention programs for mental health promotion.
- Theorell T, Leymann H, Jodko M, Konarski K, Norbeck H. E, "Person under train incidents from the subway driver's point of view-a prospective 1-year follow-up: the design,and medical and psychiatric data", Social Science Medicine, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 471-475, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(94)90449-9
- Chemtob C. M, and Carson J. G, "Psychological effects of domestic violence on children and their mothers", International Journal of Stress Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 209-226, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/1072-5245.11.3.209
- Goran Kecklund, Torbjorn Akerstedt, Michael Ingre, Marie Soderstrom, "Train drivers' working conditions and their impact on safety, stress and sleepiness: a literature review, analyses of accidents and schedules", National Institute for Psychosocial factors and Health, Stress Research Report no 288, 999.
- Kecklund L, Ingre M, Kecklund G, Soderstrom M, Åkerstedt T, Lindberg E, Jansson A, Olsson E, Sandblad B, Almqvist P, "The TRAIN-Project: Railway safety and the train driver information environment and work situation", Presented at 2. Signalling Satety 2001, London, 26-27 February 2001.
- M. G. Kim, W. C. Lee, Y. M. Lee, J. H. Ryoo, H. C. Kim, S. W. Yoo, K. H. Nam, "Factors Associated with Quality on Sleep of Subway Workers by Shift-Work." Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 326-334, 2008.
- S. K. Choi, "The effectiveness of intervention program for job stress and post traumatic stress disorder symtoms due to person under train in subway workers". Catholic University Graduate School of Public Health Doctor's Thesis, 2006.
- K. H. Jung, Y. C. Kim, D. M. Kang, J. W. Kim, "Study of the Relation Between Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders.Psychiatric Disorders and Job Stress in Train Drivers". Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 1-7, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2008.27.1.001
- C. Y. Hur, J. O. Park, "An Empirical Study on Job Stress Preventive Management Strategies", Journal of the Korean Academy of Human Resource Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.9-32, 2008.
- J. M. Ivanceivich and M. T. Matteson, Organizational Behavior and Management(3rd ed.), Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin. 1994.
- Y. S. Lee, "A Study on the Effect of Job Stress on Mental Health Problems among Subway Drivers", Hankuk University of Foreign Studies Graduate School of education Counselling Psychology Master's Thesis, 2004.
- Mino Y, Shigemi J, Tsuda T, Yasuda N, Bebbington P. Perceived job stress and mental health in precision machine workers of Japan: a 2 year cohort study. Occup Environ Med, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 41-45, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.56.1.41
- G. H. Lim, "The Reillumination on Psychological Measurement of Symptom Checklist-90-Revised", Korea J Educational Psychology Asscciation, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 157-189, 1997.
- J. Y. Kim, "Study on Stress and Mental Health of Metropolitan New City Housewives." Ewha Women University Graduate school master's thesis, 2003.
- A News Release, "On completion of the screen doors, the subway, safety responsibility for the platform!, Urban Transport Policy Center, Seoul, Korea, January, 2010.
- S. J. Chang, S. B, Koh, D. M. Kang, S. A. Kim, M. G. Kang, C. G. Lee, J. J. Chung, J. J. Cho, M. A. Son, C. H. Chae, J. W. Kim, J. I. Kim, H. S. Kim, S. C. Roh, J. B. Park, J. M. Woo, S. Y. Kim, J. Y. Kim, M. N. Ha, J. S. Park, K. Y. Rhee, H. R. Kim, J. Y. Kong, I. A. Kim, J. S. Kim, J. H. Park, S. J. Huyun and D. K. Son, "Developing an Occupational Stress Scale for Korean Employees", Korean J Occup Environ Med. Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 297-317, 2005.
- J. H. Kim, K. I. Kim, "The standardization study of Symptom Checklist-90-Revision in Korea III." Mental Health Research, Vol. 2, pp. 278-311, 1984.
- Derogatis L. R, SCL-90 Manual-1. Baltimore, MA: John Hopkins University Clinical Psychometrics Research Unit. 1977.
- S. K. Choi, "Convergence Study on Relationship between Workplace Violence and Mental Health for Subway Workers", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 379-388, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.379
- S. K. Choi, E. S. Jung, "The influential Factors of excessive daytime sleepiness for public Service Workers at Subway Stations." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 225-233, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.225
- B. R. Jeon, H. J. Lee, "Comparison in Convergence Factors in Stress of Workers in the Field of Railroad Electricity and Vehicles by their working position." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 337-347, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.337
- S. K. Choi, K. S. Lee, S. Y. Lee, J. H. Yu, A. R. Hong, J. H. Chae, S. J. Chang, "The Effectiveness of an Intervention Program for Subway Operators for Symptons of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder After the Persons Had Fallen Under a Train", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 29-36, 2010.
- J. M. Woo, T. Y. Kang, J. E. Lee, "Increasing Risk of Mental Health Problems Among Subway Drivers Experiencing Accidents on the Track", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 36-43, 2005.
- T. W. Kim, K. S. Kim, Y. S. Ahn, "Relationship between Job Stress and Depressive Symptoms among Field Firefighters", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol. 22, No, 4, pp. 378-387, 2010.
- K. Y. Yu, K. J. Lee, K. B. Min, K. C. Park, S. K. Chai, J. B. Park, "Association between Job Stress and mental health among Workers in a Large Company", J Korean Soc Occup Environ Hyg, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 146-155, 2011.
- S. W. Lee, K. S. Kim, T. G. Kim, H. W. Ryu, M. Y. Lee, Y. L. Won, Y. H. Song, "The Relationship between Job Stress and Depressive Symptoms in Migrant Workers in Kyung-gi Province in Korea", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 76-86, 2009.
- M. J. Kim, G. Y. Kang, "The Convergence Study on the Relationship between the Job Stress and Mental Health of Nurses", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039
- Y. J. Oh, Y. H. Choi, "Effects of emotional labor, job stress and burnout on somatization in nurses : In convergence era", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 415-424, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.415
- E. S. Shin, "Convergence Relationship between Occupational Stress and Fatigue Symptoms among Blue Collar Workers in Manufacturing Plants", Journal of the Korea Conergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 57-68, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.057
- S. S. Choi, G. W. Kim, "Impact of Job-stress on Fatigue Among 119 Rescue Workers", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No. 4, pp. 433-439, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.433
- H. Y. Lee, J. T. Baek, Y. C. Cho, "Relationship between Job Stress and Fatigue Symptoms among Manufacturing Male Workers", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 543-554, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.543
- Y. K. Kim, "Associations between Job Stress and Musculoskeletal Symptoms in Child Care Teachers", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No. 8, pp. 301-310, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.301
- S. Y. Park, "The relations between the Musculoskeletal Symptoms and Job Stress of Occupational Therapists at Rehabilitation Hospitals", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 2, pp. 43-51, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.043
- M. D. Kim, C. H. Lee, "A Study on the Relavance betweenWorkers' Job Characteristics and Organizational Effectiveness by Job Stress in Small & Medium Sized Enterprises", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 207-215, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.207
- H. J. Lim, M. H. Gang, K. O. Oh, "Nursing Activity, Job Stress, and Job Satisfaction of Nurses in Community Mental Health Facilities", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp.507-513, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.507
- K. S. Yun, S. M. Lee, "A Study on the Relationships between Job Stress and Job Satisfaction of Disabled Workers", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 53-63, 2008.
- Y. J. Shin, S. N. Lee, "The Impact of Emotional Labor and Job Stress on the Job Burnout in the Digital Era : Focusing on Staff Accountants", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 61-71, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.61
- Y. M. Cho, M. S. Choi, "Effect of Clinical Nurses's Basic Psychological Need, Self-Leadership and Job Stress on Nursing Performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 343-353, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.343
- K. L. Choi, S. E. Heo, D. H. Moon, "Convergence Study on the Influence of Job Stress of Shift Work Nurse on Nursing Performance", Journal of the Korea Conergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 107-121, 2016.