- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on Meta-cognition, Self-efficiency, Clinical competence of nursing students
간호대학생의 메타인지, 자기효능감, 임상수행능력의 융복합적 영향
- Chin, Eun Young (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Lee, Myung In (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Kim, Yoon Lee (Department of Nursing, Hanil University and Presbyterian Theological Seminary)
- Received : 2017.02.25
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
This study examined the influence of meta-cognition, self-efficiency and clinical competence in nursing students. A convenience sample of 153 subjects were recruited from fourth year nursing students, and the survey was conducted from September 1st to 30th 2015. The data were collected by questionnaires and analyzed SPSS/Win 18.0 program, using descriptive statistics, Pearson's correlation coefficient, t-test, one-way ANOVA and hierarchical regression. Significant positive correlation among the meta-cognition, self-efficiency and clinical competence were found. The regression model explained 27% of the clinical competence. The meta-cognition and self-efficiency for the nursing students were factors influencing clinical competence. Therefor, it is necessary develop an educational program to improve the meta-cognition and self-efficiency of nursing students.
Nursing student;Meta-cognition;Self-efficiency;Clinical competence;Convergence Effect
Supported by : Wonkwang Health Science University
- Lee, S. A., Jeon, E. Y., Oh, H. K. Effects of team based simulation learning depending on the level of Metacognition, Journal of Korean Society for Simulation in Nursing, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 45-53, 2015.
- Hwang, Y. Y., Park, C. S., Chu, M. S. Correlations among metacognition, critical thinking and self-efficacy of nursing students studying through problem based learning(PBL), Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 146-155, 2007.
- Jho, M., Y., Chae, M. Y. Impact of self-directed learning ability and metacognition on clinical competence among nursing students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 513-522, 2014.
- Anna, L., Karin, W. Facilitating and obstructing factors for development of learning in clinical practice: a student perspective. Journal of advanced nursing, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 43-50, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.3411739.x
- Kim, D. H. Metacognition and problem solving ability among nursing students in Korea, Global Health Nursing, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 42-48, 2014.
- Watson, R., Stimpson, A., Topping, A., Porock, D. (2002). Clinical competence assessment in nursing: a systematic review of the literature, Journal of advanced nursing, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 421-431, 2002.
- Chung, Y. L., Kim, S. O. Analysis of metacognition, self-efficacy, and perceptions of the constructivist learning environment in science for middle and high school students, Research Institute of Curriculum Instruction, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 125-144, 2012. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2012.16.1.125
- Choi, H. J. The effects of PBL(Problem-Based Learning) on the metacognition, critical thinking and problem solving process of nursing students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 712-721, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.712
- Kim, M., O. Study of self-efficacy, communication competency, critical thinking disposition and clinical performance ability of nursing students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 609-617, 2016.
- Kim, K. N. Affecting factors on competence of clinical practice of nursing students, The Korean journal of stress research, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 55-65, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.2.55
- Kang, Y. H., Hong, M. J. Influencing factors of learning style, critical thinking disposition on clinical performance competency of nursing students, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 2841-2853, 2014.
- Lee, E. K., Park, J. A. Ego-resilience and the clinical competence of nursing students, Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 293-303, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.2.293
- Yu, H., S. Relationship among Stress of clinical practice, practice satisfaction and clinical competence in nursing students, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 1129-1144, 2015.
- Seo, B. M., Park, H. J. Factors affecting clinical competence among nursing students, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 149-161, 2014.
- Park, Y. M., Ju, H. J. (2016). Personality Types of Nurses and the Relation between Self-Efficacy and Clinical Performance Ability, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 333-345, 2013.
- Han, H. H. (2016). A Study of Convergence on Frequency of Performance, Self-Confidence, Performance Assessment Scores of Core Nursing Skills of Nursing Students, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 355-362, 2016.
- Pintrich, P. R., Smith, D. A. F., Garcia, T., Mckeachie, W. J. Reliability and predictive validity of the motivated strategies for learning questionnaire (Mslq), Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 801-813, 1993. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0013164493053003024 https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164493053003024
- Choi, J. S., Son, J. S. The development of Korean students' motivated strategies for learning scale, Research Review, Vol. 21, pp. 89-119, 1993.
- Sherer, M., Maddux, J. E., Mercandante, B., Steven, P. R., Jacobs, B., Rogers, R. W. The selfe-efficacy scale: construction and validation, Psychological Reports, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 663-671, 1982.doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.523. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2063
- Oh, H. S. Health promoting behaviors and quality of life of Korean women with arthritis. University of Texas at Austin, Austin, 1993. Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr/link?id=T8437328.
- Schwirian, P. M. Evaluating the performance of nurses: a multidimensional approach. Nursing Research, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 347-351, 1978.
- Choi, M. S. A Study on Relation between Teachong Effective of Clinical Nursing Education and Clinical Competency in Nursing Students. Master's thesis, p. 68, The Graduate School of Clinical Health Sciences. 2005.
- Jho, M. Y. Effects of writing reflective journal on meta-cognition and problem solving ability in nursing students taking a fundamental nursing skills course applying blended learning, Journal of the Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 430-439, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.4.430
- Choi, E. J. Relationships between Metacognition, Problem Solving Process, and Debriefing Experience in Simulation as Problem-based Learning (S-PBL), The Korean Contents Association, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 459-469, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.01.459
- Jang, K. S., Kim, N., Y., Ryu, S., A., Kim, Y. M., Chung, K., H. Effects of collaborative learning on problem-solving processes according to the level of metacognition in clinical practice of nursing management, Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.191-198, 2007.
- Kim, E. H. The relationship between clinical stress, fatigue, satisfaction and self-efficacy in clinical practice of nursing students, Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 24-36, 2015.
- Yilmaz, T. O., Topcu, M. S. Investigating the relationships among elementary school students' epistemological beliefs, metacognition, and constructivist science learning environment, Journal of Science Teacher Education, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 255-273, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10972-009-9163-6