- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Correlates of Digital Disparity among Older Seoul Residents
서울시 고령자의 정보격차 관련 요인에 관한 연구
- Nam-Gung, Hyun Kyoung (Dept. of Health Administration, Jungwon University) ;
- Kim, Il Ho (Dept. of Psychology, University of Toronto) ;
- Chun, Heeran (Dept. of Health Administration, Jungwon University)
- Received : 2017.02.27
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
The use of Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) is closely related to the improvement of health and quality of life in later life. The elderly in general, however, face difficulty in adapting to ICT. The purpose of this study is to examine the social disparities and determinants in the use of information of the elderly residing in seoul. The data is based on the "2015-2016 Seoul Survey on Elderly Health and Functional Assessment", which include a total of 1,605 people aged 60 to 89. The results of multivariate logistic regression analysis showed that the older, women, the lower educated, and those with restricted activity or poorer health were found to be the significant determinants of the digital poverty among older people. The results call for special attention to disparity within the older group to solve digital divide issues.
Elderly;ICT;Socio-economic position;Digital disparity;Digital poverty
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- Y. J. Shin, M. J. Koo, "An explorative study on computer education for the elderly and their life satisfaction", International Journal of Adult & Continuing Education, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.119-147, 2010.
- S. Y. Yong, H. J. Son, "Research on Relationships between Internet Use and the Elderly's Life Quality", The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp.235-244, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.04.235
- H. K. Woo, E. Y. Shim, Y. T. Cho, "Big data and Mobile health: Values and Future Challenges in public health", Journal of The Korean Official Statistics, Special Issue, pp.96-111, 2016.
- W. S. Jung, H. G. Kang, M. H. Suk, E. H. Kim, "The Use of the Internet Health Information for the Elderly", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.48-60, 2011.
- E. H. Kim, "The Effects of Internet Satisfaction Levels obtained from the Elderly Internet Users on their Subjective well-being", 2008.
- H. S. Yoon, Othelia Lee, K. A. Beum, Y. J. Kim, "Effects of Online Social Relationship on Depression among Older Adults in South Korea", The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp.623-637, 2016.
- J. H. Ahn, K. C. Lim, Y. J. Lee, K. S. Kim, "Effects of Computer/Internet Game Play on Depression and Life Satisfaction among the Elderly : Mediating Effects of Perceived Self-Control", The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp.406-417, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.7.406
- Y. J. Lee, "The effect of information conditions on mental health among elderly", The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol 11. No. 10. pp.17-29, 2013.
- B. J. Lee, S. H. Myeong, "Comparative Analysis on the Information Use of the Elderly People in Metropolitan Cities", The Korean Association for Policy Science, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.25-51, 2011.
- B. J. Lee, "A Study on the Effective Direction of Information Policies to Enhance the Information Level for the Elderly", Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, Vol. 68, pp.107-132, 2015.
- H. K. Kim, "The countermeasures for promoting 'Digital Aging' and solving 'Digital Divide' for the elderly" Institute for Information Technology Advancement. 2005.
- S. G. Jin, "Analysis of the Trend in Changes in Digital Divide" Journal of Korean Association for Regional Information Society, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp.161-188, 2013.
- E. H. Hwang, S. J. Shin, D. Y. Jung, "A Study of the Pattern of Elderly's Internet Usage, Self-efficacy, and Self-esteem", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.118-128, 2011.
- S. W. Shim, S. K. Cheong, "A Multivariate Analysis of Changing Information Gaps in Korea", Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.235-253, 2001.
- M. S. Hong, "Study of Internet Usage of Elderly in Korea", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.187-203, 2003.
- B. Tennant, M. Stellefson, V. Dodd, B. Chaney, S. Paige, J. Alber, "eHealth Literacy and Web 2.0 Health Information Seeking Behaviors Among Baby Boomers and Older Adults", Journal of Medical Internet Research, Vol. 17, No. 3, p.10, 2015. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.3749
- B, J, Lee, S. H. Myeong, "The impact of the perception of Information, Communication, and Technology (ICT) and the use of Internet on social networks among the elderly" Journal of Korean Association for Regional Information Society, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.151-179, 2010(b).
- T. Fokkema, C. P. M. Knipscheer, "Escape loneliness by going digital: A quantitative and qualitative evaluation of a Dutch experiment in using ECT to overcome loneliness among other adults" Aging and Mental Health, Vol 11, No 5, pp496-504. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860701366129
- N. G. Choi & D. M. DiNitto, "The Digital Divide Among Low-Income Homebound Older Adults: Internet Use Patterns, eHealth Literacy, and Attitudes Toward Computer/Internet Use", Journal of Medical Internet Research, Vol. 15, No. 5, p.12, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2211
- H. J. LEE, K. S. Hong, J. W. LEE, '2013 Survey on the Elderly People's Digital Divide, National Information Society Agency, 2014.