- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on the Institutionalization of Speech-to-text Services for the Deaf People
난청인을 위한 문자통역서비스 제도화 연구
- Chun, Dong-Il (Kangwon National University) ;
- Seo, Jeong-Min (Social Welfare Research Center of Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.02.26
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
The purpose of this study is to look at the way that speech-to-text (STT) services are used at present, and to explore measures to institutionalize such services for ease of communication for the hearing impaired. The results of this study show the following: 1) 17.8% of those surveyed had experience of using STT services, with younger individuals showing a higher rate of use; and 2) In terms of organizations providing STT services, social welfare organizations followed by civic groups (18.3%) and public organizations (18.3%). The following institutional measures are needed for STT services. First, STT services should be actively promoted as one of the reasonable conveniences defined in the 'Act on the Prohibition of Discrimination Against Disabled Persons, Remedy Against Infringement of Their Rights, etc.' Second, STT services should be additionally listed as one of the clauses of the 'Act on Welfare of Persons with Disabilities'. In particular, establishing a communication system for those with hearing impairments should serve as a catalyst for integration with sign language interpretation and welfare services. If STT services for face-to-face contacts can be improved or further enhanced using ICT, it will not only open the way for a new influx of disabled workers to join vocational rehabilitation, but also help to improve quality of life for the hearing impaired.
Hearing loss;Deafness;Speech-to-text services;Institutionalization of speech-to-text services;Hearing impairment
- S. H. Kim, Y. H. Lee, J. H. Hwang, M. A. Oh, M. K. Lee, N. H. Lee, D. W. kang, S. J. Kweon, H. K. Oh, S. Y. Yoon, S. W. Lee, "A Study on the Actual Condition of Disabled Persons in 2014", Ministry of Health and Welfare / Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2015.
- J. H. An, Y. H. Kim, H. S. Seo, S. J. Shin, B. H. Jang, H. J. Song, S. Y. Park, J. Y. Park, W. H. Jung, I. J. Mun, "An Analysis of the Effectiveness of Hearing Aids in Domestic Hearing Cases", National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. 2011.
- M. S. Lee, S. J. Cho, "A Study on the Quality of Life (QoL) in Hearing Impaired Students", Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol.15, No.2, pp.175-187. 2011.
- J. Y Lee, H. K, Hwang, H. S. Jang, "Communication Difficulties as a Function of Hearing Sensitivity & Speech Recognition in Elderly with Hearing Loss", Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.331-352. 2014.
- S. Y. Jung, K. W. Lim, S. S. Kim, "Comparison of the Quality of Communication Life Between the Physically Disabled, the Hearing Impaired and Without Disabilities", Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol.17, No.2, pp.279-298. 2013.
- D. N. Cho, Y. J. Song, B. H. Kang, "Test on the Effectiveness of Message Translation Distance Learning Support to Assist Students with Hearing Impairments Subject Learning in Regular Schools", Journal of Higher Education and post -secondary Education for Individuals with Disabilities, Vol.2, No.1, pp.23-42. 2016.
- S. H. H, D. S. Lim, "Visual and Auditory Statistical Learning and Language Performance in Children With Normal Hearing and Children With Cochlear Implant", Journal of Speech & Hearing Disorders, Vol.. 25, No.3, pp. 173-190. 2016. https://doi.org/10.15724/jslhd.2016.25.3.013
- Moores D., The education of the deaf: Psychology, Principles and practice. (3rd edition). Boston: Hougton Milffin. 1987.
- K. H Kim, K. M. Kim, D. Y. Han. A Study on Information and Communication for Welfare, Korea Culture Information Service Agency, 1995.
- I. S. Kim, et. al., A Study on Promoting Strategies for Assistive Technology Industry, Ministry of Health and Welfare / Korea Disabled People's Developement Institute, 2010.
- S. K Min, Up-to-date psychiatry, SamshinMoonHwasa, Seoul. 1996.
- Korean Psychiatric Society for the Elderly Psychosomatic psychiatry, Jungang MoonHwasa, Seoul. 1998.
- J. H. Lee, "Effects of Hearing Aids Hearing Aids", Journal of the K orea Gerontolog ical Society, Vol.16, pp.151- 161.1996
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2012's Guidelines for the welfare of disabled persons, 2012.
- H. U. Shin, Analyzing vocational outcomes of people with hearing impairments : A data mining approach, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No. 11, pp.449-459, 2015.