- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analyses of the Patterns of the Synchronous and Asynchronous Social Media Usage in College e-Learning Settings
대학 이러닝 환경에서 실시간과 비실시간 소셜미디어 활용유형 차이분석
- Received : 2017.02.15
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
As information technology has been developed in a rapid way, a lot of users get to be familiar with social media. Accordingly, the possibility of social media for educational use has increased. From the view point of learning, social media help learners make communities of practice that can lead to collective intelligence. In this study, two different types of social media, synchronous and asynchronous, were compared in terms of usage patterns in the e-learning settings of college level. Content analysis has figured out four factors: learning content, tasks and assignments, emotional communications, and chatting. There found to be a statistical differences in the postings in all of the factors except tasks and assignments. In the qualitative interviews, the participants told various usage patterns of synchronous and asynchronous social media. In sum, the learners generally preferred synchronous social media. Rather, asynchronous social media were mainly used for deep thinking and summarizing. Last, suggestions were made to improve educational environments for the learners in the digital and social media age.
- C. B. Eric. "Pharmacists' perception of synchronous versus asynchronous distance learning for continuing education problem" Applied American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2014, Vol. 78, No. 1, 2014.
- D. H. Yang, "Educational problems with MOOC, suggestions, and convergence of MOOC and universities" Applied Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 121-129, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.121
- D. R. Garrison, "E-Learning in the 21st century" hbk, Routledge. 2011.
- H. S. Woo, M. R. Yeom, & D. Y. Jung, "An analysis on the UCC media for STEAM integrated education" Applied Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 43-48, 2016.
- J. I. Yi & J. S. Han, "A study on developing a Learning material Screening system for improving foreign language learning efficiency" Applied Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 87-92, 2017. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.1.087
- J. R. Young, "10 high fliers on twitter" Applied The Chronicle of Higher Education. Vol. 55, No. 31, 2009.
- K. Krippendorff, "Third edition content analysis :an introduction to its methodology" Sage Publication, 2013.
- K. Lim, "A case study on a learning with social network services on smartphones: communication contents and characteristics analyses of the applications" Applied The Korean Association for Educational Methodology Studies, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 91-114, 2010.
- K. Lim, "A case study on the effect of real-time microblogging activities in offline lecture environments" Applied Digital Contents Society, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 195-203, 2011. https://doi.org/10.9728/dcs.2011.12.2.195
- K. Lim, "The study on experts' perceptions on usage elements of SNSs and the investigation on the priority of the elements for SNSs' educational use through importance-performance analysis" Applied Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 925-952, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.28.4.925
- L. M. Harasim, "Global network: computers and international communication : Cambridge. ma: MIT Press", 2003.
- L. S. Vygotsky, "Mind and society: the development of higher mental processes: Harvard University Press", 1978.
- M. Allen, J. Bourhis, N. Burrell & E. Mabry, "Comparing student satisfaction with distance education to traditional classrooms in higher education: a meta-analysis" Applied Am J Distance Educ, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 83-97, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15389286AJDE1602_3
- O. H. Lee, E. Y. Kwak & Y. W. Lim, "Contents analysis of asynchronous discussion in the online learning" Applied The Schoolnet Korea, No. 8, pp.38-46, 2003.
- S. Glenn, "Asynchronous communication as a stimulus for synchronous speaking and listening" Applied English, Vol. 4, no. 11, 2012.
- S. H. Choi, "A study on smart campus information services" Applied Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 79-83, 2016.
- S. J. Taylor & R. Bogdan, "International to qualitative research methods(2nd ed.)" new york wiley, 1984.
- S. S. Lee, " An analysis of interaction patterns in face-to-face and online synchronous/asynchronous learning environments" Applied The Korean Society for Educational Technology, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 63-88, 2004.
- X. S. Huang & E. L. Hsiao, "Synchronous and asynchronous communication in an online environment: faculty experiences and perceptions" Applied The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2012.