- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design considerations and field applications on inflatable structure system to protect rapidly flooding damages in tunnel
해저터널 급속차폐를 위한 팽창구조체의 설계 및 현장적용에 대한 연구
- Kim, Hyeob (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Hoseo University) ;
- Kang, Si-On (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Hoseo University) ;
- Yoo, Kwang-San (Yookwang Construction Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Sang-Hwan (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Hoseo University)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.03.13
- Published : 2017.03.31
This paper presents the design considerations and field applications on inflatable structure system to protect rapidly flooding damages in large section tunnel. This inflatable structure system is very valuably used to protect passively and rapidly the possibilities of tunnel damages by flooding threats and unusual leakage to be occurred during and after underground infrastructure. In particular, this system should be necessary in subsea tunnel. The predominant factors in the design of inflatable structure system are the leakage and friction characteristics between the inflater and tunnel liner. The analytical and experimental studies are performed to develop the design considerations and to examine the design parameters of the inflatable structure system. The analytical solutions are developed using membrane theory to suggest the design considerations. The relative friction tests of several fabric materials are also carried out to determine the friction characteristics according to the different friction conditions between inflater and tunnel surface. The test results show that the friction coefficients in wet surface condition are about 20% lower than the values in dry surface condition. In addition, virtual design of tunnel protection system for two virtual subsea tunnel sites which is under reviewing in Korea, is carried out based on this research. It is expected that the results of this research will be very useful to understand the inflater structure design and development the technology of tunnel protection structures in the future.
Grant : 고수압 초장대 해저터널 기술자립을 위한 핵심요소 기술개발
Supported by : 건설교통과학기술진흥원
- Kim, N.Y. (2014), "Subsea tunnel research trends for the maximization of the national transportation network hub", Joumal of the Korean Geoenvi-ronmental Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 38-42.
- Lee, C.Y. (2014), "A fundamental study on inflater structure to protect the tunnel damage due to flooding threats", Hoseo University Master thesis.
- Yoo, K.S., Lee, J.H., Kim, Y.D., Kim, S.H. (2015), "Model testing of leakage effect due to multi-cell inflater of rapid protection system in subsea tunnel", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 295-303. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2015.17.3.295
- Yoo, K.S., Lee, J.H., Kim, Y.D., Kim, S.H. (2016), "Friction behavior of inflatable structure system to protect rapidly flooding damages in subsea tunnel", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 109-117. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2016.18.1.109
- Shin, J.H., Kim, K.H., Kim, D.R., Ji, H.S. (2015), "An experimental study on the static behavior of advanced composite materials drainage pipe member for an undersea tunnel", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 65-74. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2015.17.2.065
- Barbero, E.J., Sosa, E.M., Martinez, X., Gutierrez, J.M. (2013), "Reliability design methodology for confined high pressure inflatable structures", Engineering Structures.
- Marinez, X., Davalos, J., Barbero, E., Sosa, E., Huebsch, W., Means, K., Banta, L., Thompson, G. (2012) "Inflatable plug for threat mitigation in transportation tunnels", Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering 2012 Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Sosa, E.M., Thompson, G.J., Barbero, E.J. Ghosh, S., Peil, K.L. (2014), "Friction characteristics of confined inflatable structures", Friction-a springerpen journal, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 365-390. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40544-014-0069-8