- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of numerical model for estimating thermal environment of underground power conduit considering characteristics of backfill materials
되메움재 특성을 고려한 전력구 열환경 변화 예측 수치해석모델 개발
- Kim, Gyeonghun (Risk Management Research Center, Dongbu Insurance) ;
- Park, Sangwoo (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sejong University) ;
- Kim, Min-Ju (Korea Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Dae-Soo (Department chief, Korea Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Hangseok (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2017.01.18
- Accepted : 2017.03.10
- Published : 2017.03.31
The thermal analysis of an underground power conduit for electrical cables is essential to determine their current capacity with an increasing number of demands for high-voltage underground cables. The temperature rises around a buried cable, caused by excessive heat dissipation, may increase considerably the thermal resistance of the cables, leading to the danger of "thermal runaway" or damaging to insulators. It is a key design factor to develop the mechanism on thermal behavior of backfilling materials for underground power conduits. With a full-scale field test, a numerical model was developed to estimate the temperature change as well as the thermal resistance existing between an underground power conduit and backfill materials. In comparison with the field test, the numerical model for analyzing thermal behavior depending on density, moisture content and soil constituents is verified by the one-year-long field measurement.
Supported by : 한국전력연구원, 한국연구재단
- Adams, J., Baljet, A.F. (1980), "The thermal behavior of cable backfill materials", IEEE Transactions on power apparatus and systems, Vol. PAS-87, No. 4, Ontario Hydro, Toronto, Canada
- Anderson, B. (2006), Convections for U-value calculation, BRE Scotland, pp. 19-20.
- ASHRAE Handbook-Fundamentals, 2009.
- Boggs, S.A., Chu, F.Y., Radhakrishna, H.S., Steinmanis, J. (1980), "Measurement of soil thermal properties - techniques and instrumentation", IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-99, No.2, Ontario Hydro, Toronto, Canada.
- Choi, J-M, Cho, S-W (2011), "The Characteristic of Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient by Natural Heat Transfer Coefficient and Forced Heat Transfer Coefficient" Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea (Korean), Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 205-212.
- Churchill, S.W., Chu, H.H.S. (1975), "Correlating equation for laminar and turbulent free convection a vertical plate", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 18, p. 1323. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(75)90243-4
- Jeong, S.H., Kim, D.K., Choi, S.B., Nam, K.Y., Ryoo, H.S., Kang, J.W., Jang, T.I. (2003), "A study on the conductor temperature estimation of underground power cables considering the load current change", Journal of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers (Korean), 2003.7, pp. 247-249.
- Kim, D.H., Lee, D.S. (2002), "Thermal resistivity of backfill materials for underground power cables", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society (Korean), Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 209-220.
- Kim, Y.S., Koo, H.W. (2011), "Resistivity characteristic of the backfill materials for underground power cables", KSCE 2011 Convention.
- Kimura, K. (1997), Scientific basis of air conditioning, London Applied Science Publishers Ltd.
- Oh, K.D., Kim, D.H., Kim, K.R. (2008), "Fundamental properties and thermal resistance of recycled aggregates for backfilling", Report Korea Electric Power Corporation, KEPRI.
- Tanaka, T., Adachi, T., Takeda, H., Tsuchiya, T., (1997), The latest architectural environmental engineering. pp. 164-165.
- Wi, J., Hong, S-Y, Lee, D-S, Park, S., Choi, H. (2011), "Evaluation of compaction and thermal characteristics of recycled aggregates for backfilling power transmission pipeline", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society (Korean), Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 17-33. https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2011.27.7.017
- Yazdanian, M., Klems, J.H. (1994), "Measurement of the exterior convective film coefficient for windows in low-rise building", ASHRAE Trasactions, Vol. 100, No. 1, pp. 1-15.
- Kim, D.Y., Lee, H.S. (2011), "A study on the design of tunnel lining insulation based on measurement of temperature in tunnel", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 13, No. 4 pp. 319-345.
- Roh, J.H. (2012), "A study on the prediction of HLW Temperature from Natural Ventilation Quantity using CFD", Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 429-437. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2012.22.6.429
- Yoo, J.O. (2013), "A numerical study on the characteristics of the smoke movement and the effects of structure in road tunnel fire", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 289-300. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2013.15.3.289
- Churchill, S.W. Bernstein, M. (1997), "A correlating equation for forced convection from gases and liquids to a circular cylinder in crossflow", Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 99, No. 2, pp. 300-307. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3450685
- Clauser, C., Hugenges, E. (1995), "Thermal conductivity of rocks and minerals", Rock physics & phase relations: A handbook of physical constants, pp. 105-126.
- COMSOL Multiphysics (2012), "COMSOL multiphysics user guide (Version 4.3 a)", COMSOL, AB.
- Patankar, S.V. (1980), "Numerical heat transfer and fluid flow", CRC press.