- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Changes in the Hosptal Length of Stay and Medical Cost between before and after the Applications of the DRG payment system using Health Insurance Big Data
건강보험 빅 데이터를 활용한 종합병원에서의 포괄수가제 적용 전·후 재원일수와 진료비의 변화
- Received : 2016.12.29
- Accepted : 2017.04.24
- Published : 2017.04.30
This study aimed to identify appropriateness and efficiency in the DRG payment system by analysing the hospital length of stay and changes in fees before and after the application of DRG payment system. The subjects of the study were a total of 398 patients consisting of 204 for the fee for service system and 194 for the DRG payment system. They received surgery in the Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGY) department of a general hospital in G metropolitan city between January and December 2013. The mean hospital length of stay was significantly decreased after application of the DRG payment system(p=0.013). Total fees, insurance charges, and deductions increased significantly(p<0.001), and non-payment charges and total deductions decreased significantly(p<0.001). Application of the DRG payment system reduced length of stay, non-payment charges and total patient's cost sharing and increased out-of-pocket, insurance charges, and total fees.
Supported by : 조선대학교
- B. Kim, "A Buffer Size-based Retransmission Persistence Control for ARQ Protocols," J. of the Korea institute of electronic communication sciences, vol. 6, no. 4, 2011, pp. 487-492.
- K. Song, Y. Ko, and W. Lee, "Development of the Skin Treatment Unit using Low Temperature Plasma," J. of the Korea institute of electronic communication sciences, vol. 9, no. 12, 2014, pp. 1427-1433. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2014.9.12.1427
- J. Choi, "The Development of Educational program on NCS-Based Medical expense management and Examination claim," J. of the Korea institute of electronic communication sciences, vol. 11, no. 10, 2016, pp. 1009-1015. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2016.11.10.1009
- M. Lee and J. Kim, "Issues and policy according to the DRG expansion," Issues and challenges, National Assembly Research Service, no. 439, 2012.
- OECD, OECD Reviews of Health Care Quality: Korea 2012 - Raising Standards, 2012.
- J. Kim, "Positions and problems for the implementation of the DRG," Issues and challenges, National Assembly Research Service, no. 478, 2012.
- S. Shin and J. Kim, "A study of Simulations on the Changes of Physician's Practice Patterns in University Hospitals after the Introduction of DRG in Obstetrics and Gynecology," J. of digital policy & management, vol. 11, no. 6, 2013, pp. 289-298.
- W. Hsiao, H. Sapolsky, and D. Dunn, "Lessons of the New Jersey DRG payment system," Health Affairs (Project Hope), vol. 5, no. 2, 1986, pp. 32-45. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.5.2.32
- H. Kim, "Problems and solutions for Korean DRG system," J. the Korean hospital association, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 32-44, 2008.
- E. Park, K. Yu, and J. Kim, A Study on the Current State and Direction of Bundled Payment. Seoul: Korean Medical Association reaserch institute for healthcare policy, 2014.
- Ministry of health and welfare, The second year evaluation on DRG payment system and plan for the third year. Seoul: Minstry of health and welfare, 1999.
- Seoul National University, The study on the evaluation and improvement for the DRG payment system. Seoul: Ministry of health and welfare, 2000.
- J. Kim, "The re-evaluation of the DRG payment system - focused on the evaluation method," Korean health economic review, vol. 8, no. 1, 2002, pp.59-89.
- C. Son, Impact of DRG payment on practice of caesarean section, Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2010.
- Korea health industry development institute, A study on the development of DRG payment system. Seoul: Ministry of health and welfare, 2001.
- S. Shin, G. Kang, and S. Kim, "Simulation on the Change of Practice Pattern after the Introduction of 7 Diagnosis-related Groups Prospective Payment System in a University Hospital," Health policy and management, vol. 23, no. 2, 2013, pp. 103-111. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2013.23.2.103
- E. Chung, Impact of Mandatory DRG payment system on Medical cost and Length of Stay, Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, 2014.
- H. Jeong, J. Cho, and D. Son, The impact analysis after the implementation of 7 DRG payment system. Seoul: National health insurance service, 2013.
- S. Seo, An Analysis of the Change of Payment Factors under the DRGs - Focusing on G Medical Institution in Incheon-, Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University, 2014.
- E. Park, K. Yu, and J. Kim, "Current State and problem of DRG," Research Institute for Healthcare Policy Korean Medical Association, vol. 11, no. 2, 2013, pp. 50-59.
- W. Schwartz and D. Mendelson, "Hospital cost containment in the 1980s. Hard lessons learned and prospects for the 1990s," The New England J. of Medicine, vol. 324, no. 15, 1991, pp. 1037-1042. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199104113241506
- K. Wang, P. Li, and L. Chen, "Impact of the Japanese diagnosis procedure combination-based payment system in Japan," J. of Medical Systems, vol. 34, no. 1, 2010, pp. 95-100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-008-9220-2
- J. Choi, S. Jand, and S. Jang, "The Effect of Mandatory Diagnosis-Related Groups Payment System," Health Policy and Management, vol. 26, no. 2, 2016, pp. 135-147 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2016.26.2.135