- Volume 4 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Damage detection on output-only monitoring of dynamic curvature in composite decks
- Domaneschi, M. (Politecnico di Torino, Department of Structural, Geotechnical and Building Engineering) ;
- Sigurdardottir, D. (Ramboll, Stockholm Branch) ;
- Glisic, B. (Princeton University, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- Received : 2016.12.09
- Accepted : 2017.01.25
- Published : 2017.03.25
Installation of sensors networks for continuous in-service monitoring of structures and their efficiency conditions is a current research trend of paramount interest. On-line monitoring systems could be strategically useful for road infrastructures, which are expected to perform efficiently and be self-diagnostic, also in emergency scenarios. This work researches damage detection in composite concrete-steel structures that are typical for highway overpasses and bridges. The techniques herein proposed assume that typical damage in the deck occurs in form of delamination and cracking, and that it affects the peak power spectral density of dynamic curvature. The investigation is performed by combining results of measurements collected by long-gauge fiber optic strain sensors installed on monitored structure and a statistic approach. A finite element model has been also prepared and validated for deepening peculiar aspects of the investigation and the availability of the method. The proposed method for real time applications is able to detect a documented unusual behavior (e.g., damage or deterioration) through long-gauge fiber optic strain sensors measurements and a probabilistic study of the dynamic curvature power spectral density.
Supported by : Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation (CAIT), National Science Foundation
- AASHTO (2010), AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specification (5th Edition) with 2010 Interim Revisions, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.
- Ardito, R. and Cocchetti, G. (2006), "Statistical approach to damage diagnosis of concrete dams by radar monitoring: Formulation and a pseudo-experimental test", Eng. Struct., 28(14), 2036-2045. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.04.001
- Bathe, K.J. (1996), Finite Element Procedures, Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-301458-4.
- Colombo, M., Domaneschi, M. and Ghisi, A. (2016), "Existing concrete dams: loads definition and finite element models validation", Struct. Monit. Maint., 3(2), 129-144. https://doi.org/10.12989/SMM.2016.3.2.129
- Corradi, L. (1992), Meccanica delle strutture, Volume 1 [in Italian], McGraw Hill. ISBN 88-386-0665-X.
- De Sortis, A. and Paoliani, P. (2007), "Statistical analysis and structural identification in concrete dam monitoring", Eng. Struct., 29(1), 110-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.04.022
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R. and Prime, M.B. (1998), "A summary review of vibration-based damage identification methods", Shock Vib. Dig., 30(2), 91-105. https://doi.org/10.1177/058310249803000201
- Domaneschi, M. (2012), "Experimental and numerical study of standard impact tests on polypropylene pipes with brittle behavior", Proc. Inst. Mech. Engineers, Part B: J. Eng. Manuf., 226(12), 2035-2046. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405412461983
- Domaneschi, M., Limongelli, M.P. and Martinelli, L. (2013), "Vibration based damage localization using MEMS on a suspension bridge model", Smart Struct. Syst., 12(6), 679-694. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.6.679
- Domaneschi, M., Limongelli, M.P. and Martinelli, L. (2016), "Wind-driven damage localization on a suspension bridge", Baltic J. Road Brid. Eng., 11(1), 11-21. https://doi.org/10.3846/bjrbe.2016.02
- DOT-FHWA (2014), National Bridge Inventory, Retrieved August 21, 2014, from http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/nbi.cfm (U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration).
- Glisic, B. and Inaudi, D. (2007), Fibre Optic Methods for Structural Health Monitoring, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ISBN: 978-047006142-8. DOI: 10.1002/9780470517819.
- Hong, W., Wu, Z., Yang, C., Wan, C. and Wu, G. (2012), "Investigation on the damage identification of bridges using distributed long-gauge dynamic macrostrain response under ambient excitation", J. Intel. Mater. Syst. Struct., 23(1), 85-103. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X11430743
- Kaundinya, I. and Heimbecher, F. (2011), "Identification and classification of European bridge and tunnel types", Proceedings of ABSE-IASS 2011 symposium. - The International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, London, United Kingdom, September.
- Kharrazi, M.H.K., Ventura, C.E., Brincker, R. and Dascotte, E. (2002), "A study on damage detection using output-only modal data", Proceedings of IMAC - XX, Los Angeles, California, February.
- Nagarajaiah, S. and Basu, B. (2009), "Output only modal identification and structural damage detection using time frequency & wavelet techniques", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 8(4), 583-605. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-009-9120-6
- Oppenheim, A.V. and Schafer, R.W. (2010), Discrete-time Signal Processing, Pearson. ISBN 978-0-13-198842-2.
- Papoulis, A. and Unnikrishna Pillai, S. (2002), Probability, Random Variable and Stochastic Processes, McGraw Hill. ISBN 0-07-122661-3.
- Ratcliffe, C.P. (2000), "A frequency and curvature based experimental method for locating damage in structures", J. Vib. Acoust., 122(3), 324-329. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1303121
- Ren, W.X. and Zong, Z.H. (2004), "Output-only modal parameter identification of civil engineering structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 17(3-4), 429-444. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2004.17.3_4.429
- Sampaio, R.P.C., Maia, N.M.M. and Silva, J.M.M. (1999), "Damage detection using the frequency response function curvature method", J. Sound. Vib., 226(5), 1029-1042. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1999.2340
- Sigurdardottir, D.H. and Glisic, B. (2013), "Neutral axis as damage sensitive feature", Smart Mater. Struct., 22(7), 075030 https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/7/075030
- Sigurdardottir, D.H. and Glisic, B. (2014), "Detecting minute damage in beam-like structures using the neutral axis location", Smart Mater. Struct., 23(12), 125042. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/23/12/125042
- Vicario, F., Phan, M.Q., Betti, R. and Longman, R.W. (2015), "Output-only observer/Kalman filter identification (O3KID)", Struct. Control Hlth., 22(5), 847-872. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1719
- Volkovas, V. (2013), "The concept of buildings stability monitoring and damage diagnostics", Key Eng. Mater., 569-570, 238-245. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.569-570.238
- Normalized Curvature Ratio for Damage Detection in Beam-Like Structures vol.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3389/fbuil.2017.00050
- Application of distributed optical fiber sensors for the health monitoring of two real structures in Barcelona vol.14, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2018.1438479