- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
KNOWLEDGE DECOUPLING: AN INSTITUTIONAL APPROACH TO THE GAP BETWEEN CREATION AND UTILIZATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGIES
지식창출과 활용의 괴리: 녹색기술인증의 제도론적 분석
- Received : 2017.01.20
- Accepted : 2017.02.21
- Published : 2017.03.31
While prior work has noted the importance of knowledge creation in gaining competitive advantages, much less is understood about why firms do not actually use what they create. Building upon institutional approaches to organization studies, we offer a new framework to explain the gap between knowledge creation and utilization. We test our framework in an empirical context of sustainable innovation and environmental technologies where ideas of environmental sustainability have recently gained public popularity and shaped how interested audiences make evaluative assessments of firms. In such a context, firms are apt to perceive the social attention toward sustainability to be a normative pressure, which causes them to create new knowledge and develop technologies consistent with the pressure. Using data from the government-initiated certification system for green technologies, our study finds that firms do not always fully implement new environmental technologies they develop in response to the certification program, the situation we refer to as knowledge decoupling. We also examine a set of conditions under which knowledge decoupling becomes more or less amplified. Taken together, our findings show how a firm's knowledge creation and utilization is shaped by its external institutional environment as well as internal learning processes.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 김명서, 김요환 2008. "환경친화기업의 환경정보 공시가 기업가치에 미치는 영향," 대한경영학회지 (21:6), pp. 2655-2679.
- 김효근, 최인영, 강솔 2000. "지식경영연구의 개관 및 향후 연구과제," 지식경영연구 (1:1), pp. 19-46.
- 문계완, 김기환, 최석봉 2009. "지식경영에 대한 제 접근: 사회적 네트워크, 자원의존 및 제도화 이론을 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (10:4), pp. 43-60.
- 박호원, 허성관 1995. "기준을 초과한 공해물질 배출 보도의 정보효과," 경영학연구 (24:1), pp. 111-127.
- 오준환, 장희복 2011. "녹색경영의 평가시스템과 성과에 관한 중소기업의 관리적 인지도," 대한경영학회지 (24:2), pp. 627-646.
- 이무원 2015. "조직학습이론 (Organizational Learning Theory) 의 과거, 현재, 그리고 미래," 인사조직연구 (23:4), pp. 11-32.
- 정동일 2012. "제도적 네트워크, 중층적 배태성, 조직 관행의 확산: ISO 14001 환경 표준의 국제적 확산, 1995-2008," 인사조직연구 (20:4), pp. 167-209.
- 조선미, 강정한 2011. "제도의 채택과 디커플링 (Decoupling) 정도에 영향을 미치는 조직의 특성," 인사조직연구 (19:2), pp. 253-297.
- 최만기, 신창호 2003, "자원기반이론과 제도화 이론에 기초한 연구개발집단의 지식경영 연구모형," 지식경영연구 (4:2), pp. 35-53.
- 최선, 유애리 2003. "기업의 환경성과가 주가에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 환경경영연구 (1:1), pp. 45-70.
- Audia, P. G., Locke, E. A., and Smith, K. G. 2000. "The Paradox of Success: An Archival and a Laboratory Study of Strategic Persistence Following Radical Environmental Change," Academy of Management Journal (43:5), pp. 837-853. https://doi.org/10.2307/1556413
- Bansal, P., and Clelland, I. 2004. "Talking Trash: Legitimacy, Impression Management, and Unsystematic Risk in the Context of the Natural Environment," Academy of Management Journal (47:1), pp. 93-103. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159562
- Bansal, P. and Hoffman, A. J. 2012. The Oxford Handbook of Business and the Natural Environment (Eds.), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Baron, J. N., Dobbin, F. R., and Jennings, P. D. 1986. "War and Peace: The Evolution of Modern Personnel Administration in US Industry," American Journal of Sociology (92:2), pp. 350-383. https://doi.org/10.1086/228504
- Baum, J. A., Rowley, T. J., Shipilov, A. V., and Chuang, Y. T. 2005. "Dancing with Strangers: Aspiration Performance and the Search for Underwriting Syndicate Partners," Administrative Science Quarterly (50:4), pp. 536-575. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.50.4.536
- Bowen, F. E. 2000. "Environmental Visibility: a Trigger of Green Organizational Response?," Business Strategy and the Environment (9:2), pp. 92-107. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0836(200003/04)9:2<92::AID-BSE230>3.0.CO;2-X
- Burns, L. R., and Wholey, D. R. 1993. "Adoption and Abandonment of Matrix Management Programs: Effects of Organizational Characteristics and Interorganizational Networks," Academy of Management Journal (36:1), pp. 106-138. https://doi.org/10.2307/256514
- Campbell, J. L., and Lindberg, L. N. 1990. "Property Rights and the Organization of Economic Activity by the State," American Sociological Review (55:5), pp. 634-647. https://doi.org/10.2307/2095861
- Colquitt, J. A. 2013. "The Last Three Years at AMJ-Celebrating the Big Purple Tent," Academy of Management Journal (56:6), pp. 1511-1515. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2013.4006
- Crilly, D., Zollo, M., and Hansen, M. T. 2012. "Faking it or Muddling Through? Understanding Decoupling in Response to Stakeholder Pressures," Academy of Management Journal (55:6), pp. 1429-1448. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2010.0697
- Cyert, R. M., and March, J. G. 1963. A Behavioral Theory of the Firm, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Delmas, M. A., and Montes-Sancho, M. J. 2007. "Voluntary Agreements to Improve Environmental Quality: Are Late Joiners the Free Riders?," in ISBER Publications, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Delmas, M. A., and Terlaak, A. K. 2001. "A Framework for Analyzing Environmental Voluntary Agreements," California Management Review (43:3), pp. 44-63. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166088
- Demsetz, H. 1988. "The Theory of the Firm Revisited," Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization (4:1), pp. 141-161.
- DiMaggio, P. 1988. "Interest and Agency in Institutional Theory," Institutional Patterns and Organizations: Culture and Environment (1), pp. 3-22.
- DiMaggio, P., and Powell, W. W. 1983. "The Iron Cage Revisited: Collective Rationality and Institutional Isomorphism in Organizational Fields," American Sociological Review (48:2), pp. 147-160. https://doi.org/10.2307/2095101
- Dobbin, F., and Dowd, T. J. 2000. "The Market That Antitrust Built: Public Policy, Private Coercion, and Railroad Acquisitions, 1825 to 1922," American Sociological Review (65:5), pp. 631-657. https://doi.org/10.2307/2657540
- Edelman, L. B. 1992. "Legal Ambiguity and Symbolic Structures: Organizational Mediation of Civil Rights Law," American Journal of Sociology (97:6), pp. 1531-1576. https://doi.org/10.1086/229939
- Elsbach, K. D., and Sutton, R. I. 1992. "Acquiring Organizational Legitimacy through Illegitimate Actions: A Marriage of Institutional and Impression Management Theories," Academy of Management Journal (35:4), pp. 699-738. https://doi.org/10.2307/256313
- Fligstein, N. 1985. "The Spread of the Multidivisional Form among Large Firms, 1919-1979," American Sociology Review (50:3), pp. 377-391. https://doi.org/10.2307/2095547
- Fombrun, C., and Shanley, M. 1990. "What's in a Name? Reputation Building and Corporate Strategy," Academy of Management Journal (33:2), pp. 233-258. https://doi.org/10.2307/256324
- Grant, R. M. 1996. "Toward a Knowledge-Based Theory of the Firm," Strategic Management Journal (17:2), pp. 109-122. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199602)17:2<109::AID-SMJ796>3.0.CO;2-P
- Greve, H. R. 1998. "Performance, Aspirations, and Risky Organizational Change," Administrative Science Quarterly (43:1), pp. 58-86. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393591
- Greve, H. R. 2003. Organizational Learning from Performance Feedback: A Behavioral Perspective on Innovation and Change, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Guillen, M. F. 2001. "Is Globalization Civilizing, Destructive or Feeble? A Critique of Five Key Debates in the Social Science Literature," Annual Review of Sociology (27:1), pp. 235-260. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.soc.27.1.235
- Guler, I., Guillen, M. F., and Macpherson, J. M. 2002. "Global Competition, Institutions, and the Diffusion of Organizational Practices: The International Spread of ISO 9000 Quality Certificates," Administrative Science Quarterly (47:2), pp. 207-232 https://doi.org/10.2307/3094804
- Hannan, M. T., and Freeman, J. 1984. "Structural Inertia and Organizational Change," American Sociological Review (49:2), pp. 149-164. https://doi.org/10.2307/2095567
- Hosmer, D. W. 2013. Applied Logistic Regression, Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley.
- Howard-Grenville, J., Buckle, S. J., Hoskins, B. J., and George, G. 2014. "Climate Change and Management," Academy of Management Journal (57:3), pp. 615-623. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2014.4003
- Kalev, A., Shenhav, Y., and De Vries, D. 2008. "The State, the Labor Process, and the Diffusion of Managerial Models," Administrative Science Quarterly (53:1), pp. 1-28. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.53.1.1
- Kennedy, M. T., and Fiss, P. C. 2009. "Institutionalization, Framing, and Diffusion: The logic of TQM adoption and Implementation Decisions among US Hospitals," Academy of Management Journal (52:5), pp. 897-918. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.44633062
- Klassen, R. D., and Whybark, D. C. 1999. "The Impact of Environmental Technologies on Manufacturing Performance," Academy of Management Journal (42:6), pp. 599-615. https://doi.org/10.2307/256982
- Kraatz, M. S., and Zajac, E. J. 1996. "Exploring the Limits of the New Institutionalism: The Causes and Consequences of Illegitimate Organizational Change," American Sociological Review (61:5), pp. 812-836. https://doi.org/10.2307/2096455
- Lant, T. K., and Mezias, S. J. 1992. "An Organizational Learning Model of Convergence and Reorientation," Organization Science (3:1), pp. 47-71. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.3.1.47
- Lant, T. K., Milliken, F. J., and Batra, B. 1992. "The Role of Managerial Learning and Interpretation in Strategic Persistence and Reorientation: An Empirical Exploration," Strategic Management Journal (13:8), pp. 585-608. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250130803
- Marquis, C., and Huang, Z. 2009. "The Contingent Nature of Public Policy and the Growth of US Commercial Banking," Academy of Management Journal (52:6), pp. 1222-1246. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.47084828
- Meyer, J. W., and Rowan, B. 1977. "Institutionalized Organizations: Formal Structure as Myth and Ceremony," American Journal of Sociology (83:2), pp. 340-363. https://doi.org/10.1086/226550
- Nohria, N., and Gulati, R. 1996. "Is Slack Good or Bad for Innovation?," Academy of Management Journal (39:5), pp. 1245-1264. https://doi.org/10.5465/256998
- Oliver, C. 1991. "Strategic Responses to Institutional Processes," Academy of Management Review (16:1), pp. 145-179. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1991.4279002
- Palmer, D. A., Jennings, P. D., and Zhou, X. 1993. "Late Adoption of the Multidivisional Form by Large US Corporations: Institutional, Political, and Economic Accounts," Administrative Science Quarterly (38:1), pp. 100-131. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393256
- Park, S., Sine, W. D., and Tolbert, P. S. 2011. "Professions, Organizations, and Institutions: Tenure Systems in Colleges and Universities," Work and Occupations (38:3), pp. 340-371. https://doi.org/10.1177/0730888411412725
- Pouder, R., and John, C. H. S. 1996. "Hot Spots and blind spots: Geographical Clusters of Firms and Innovation," Academy of Management Review (21:4), pp. 1192-1225. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071867
- Santos, F. M., and Eisenhardt, K. M. 2009. "Constructing Markets and Shaping Boundaries: Entrepreneurial Power in Nascent Fields," Academy of Management Journal (52:4), pp. 643-671. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.43669892
- Sharfman, M. P., Wolf, G., Chase, R. B., and Tansik, D. A. 1988. "Antecedents of Organizational Slack," Academy of Management Review (13:4), pp. 601-614. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4307484
- Sine, W. D., and Lee, B. H. 2009. "Tilting at windmills? The Environmental Movement and the Emergence of the US Wind Energy Sector," Administrative Science Quarterly (54:1), pp. 123-155. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.2009.54.1.123
- Sine, W. D., David, R. J., and Mitsuhashi, H. 2007. "From Plan to Plant: Effects of Certification on Operational Start-up in the Emergent Independent Power Sector," Organization Science (18:4), pp. 578-594. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1070.0300
- Suchman, M. C. 1995. "Managing Legitimacy: Strategic and Institutional Approaches," Academy of Management Review (20:3), pp. 571-610. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1995.9508080331
- Tolbert, P., and Zucker, L. G. 1983. "Institutional Sources of Change in the Formal Structure of Organizations: The Diffusion of Civil Service Reform, 1880-1935," Administrative Science Quarterly (28:1), pp. 22-39. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392383
- Tolbert, P., and Zucker, L. G. 1996. "The Institutionalization of Institutional Theory," in Handbook of Organization Studies, S. Clegg, C. Hardy, and W. Nord (eds.), Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp. 175-190.
- Weber, K., Davis, G. F., and Lounsbury, M. 2009. "Policy as Myth and Ceremony? The Global Spread of Stock Exchanges, 1980-2005," Academy of Management Journal (52:6), pp. 1319-1347. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.47085184
- Westphal, J. D., and Zajac, E. J. 1994. "Substance and Symbolism in CEOs' Long-term Incentive Plans," Administrative Science Quarterly (39:3), pp. 367-390. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393295
- Westphal, J. D., and Zajac, E. J. 1997. "Defections from the Inner Circle: Social Exchange, Reciprocity, and the Diffusion of Board Independence in US Corporations," Administrative Science Quarterly (42:1), pp. 161-183. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393812
- Westphal, J. D., Gulati, R., and Shortell, S. M. 1997. "Customization or Conformity? An Institutional and Network Perspective on the Content and Consequences of TQM Adoption," Administrative Science Quarterly (42:2), pp. 366-394. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393924
- York, J., Hargrave, T., and Pacheco, D. 2016. "Converging Winds: Logic Hybridization in the Colorado Wind Energy Field," Academy of Management Journal (59:2), pp. 579-610. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2013.0657