- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Mechanical properties of SFRHSC with metakaolin and ground pumice: Experimental and predictive study
- Saridemir, Mustafa (Department of Civil Engineering, Omer Halisdemir University) ;
- Severcan, Metin Hakan (Department of Civil Engineering, Omer Halisdemir University) ;
- Celikten, Serhat (Department of Civil Engineering, Omer Halisdemir University)
- Received : 2016.02.17
- Accepted : 2017.01.24
- Published : 2017.04.10
The mechanical properties of steel fiber reinforced high strength concrete (SFRHSC) made with binary and ternary blends of metakaolin (MK) and ground pumice (GP) are investigated in this study. The investigated properties are ultrasonic pulse velocity (
steel fiber;metakaolin;ground pumice;strength properties;high strength concrete
- Abbas, A.-A. (2013), "The effect of steel fiber on some mechanical properties of self compacting concrete", Am. J. Civil Eng., 1(3), 102-110. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajce.20130103.14
- ACI Committee 318 (1995), Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-1995) and Commentary; Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- ACI Committee 363 (1992), State-of-the art report on high strength concrete (ACI 363R-92); Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- ASTM A820/A820M-11 (2011), Standard specification for steel fibers for fiber-reinforced concrete; USA.
- ASTM C 192 (2000), Standard practice for making and curing concrete test specimens in the laboratory; Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 04.02.
- ASTM C 39/C 39M-12 (2012), Standard test method for compressive strength of cylindrical concrete specimens; ASTM Vol.04.02, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM C618-12a (2012), Standard specification for coal fly ash and raw or calcined natural pozzolan for use in concrete; USA.
- Atis, C.D. and Karahan, O. (2009), "Properties of steel fiber reinforced fly ash concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(1), 392-399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.11.002
- Bauchkar, S.D. and Chore, H.S. (2014), "Rheological properties of self consolidating concrete with various mineral admixtures", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 51(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.51.1.001
- Bernal, S., Gutierrez, R.D., Delvasto, S. and Rodriguez, E. (2010), "Performance of an alkali-activated slag concrete reinforced with steel fibers", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(2), 208-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.10.027
- Berrocal, C.G., Lundgren, K. and LOfgren, I. (2013), "Influence of steel fibres on corrosion of reinforcement in concrete in chloride environments: a review", Fibre Concrete 2013, Prague, Czech Republic, September.
- Bui, D.D., Hu, J. and Stroeven, P. (2005), "Particle size effect on the strength of rice husk ash blended gap-graded Portland cement concrete", Cement Concrete Comp., 27(3), 357-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2004.05.002
- Demirboga, R., Turkmen, I. and Karakoc, M.B. (2004), "Relationship between ultrasonic velocity and compressive strength for high-volume mineral-admixtured concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 34(12), 2329-2336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.04.017
- El-Dieb, A.S. (2009), "Mechanical, durability and microstructural characteristics of ultra-high-strength self-compacting concrete incorporating steel fibers", Mater. Des., 30(10), 4286-4292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.04.024
- Eren, O. and Celik, T. (1997), "Effect of silica fume and steel fibers on some properties of high-strength concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 11(1-8), 373-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-0618(97)00058-5
- Ferreira, C. (2001), "Gene expression programming: A new adaptive algorithm for solving problems", Complex Syst., 13(2), 87-129.
- Gesoglu, M., Guneyisi, E., Alzeebaree, R. and Mermerdas, K. (2013), "Effect of silica fume and steel fiber on the mechanical properties of the concretes produced with cold bonded fly ash aggregates", Constr. Build. Mater., 40, 982-990. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.11.074
- Giaccio, G., Sensale de, G.R. and Zerbino, R. (2007), "Failure mechanism of normal and high-strength concrete with rice-husk ash", Cement Concrete Comp., 29(7), 566-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2007.04.005
- Giner, V., Ivorra, S., Baeza, F.J. and Ferrer, B. (2011), "Effect of different admixtures on dynamic structural behavior of fiber reinforced concrete elements", Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2011, Leuven, Belgium, July.
- Giner, V.T., Baeza, F.J., Ivorra, S., Zornoza, E. and Galao, O. (2012), "Effect of steel and carbon fiber additions on the dynamic properties of concrete containing silica fume", Mater. Design, 34, 332-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.07.068
- Guneyisi, E., Gesoglu, M., Karaoglu, S. and Mermerdas, K. (2012), "Strength, permeability and shrinkage cracking of silica fume and metakaolin concretes", Constr. Build. Mater., 34, 120-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.02.017
- Guneyisi, E., Gesoglu, M., Akoi, A.O.M. and Mermerdas, K. (2014), "Combined effect of steel fiber and metakaolin incorporation on mechanical properties of concrete", Compos.: Part B: Eng., 56, 83-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.08.002
- Guven, A. and Gunal, M. (2008), "Genetic programming approach for prediction of local scour downstream of hydraulic structures", J. Irrig. Drain. Eng., 134(2), 241-249. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(2008)134:2(241)
- Hamid, R., Yusof, K.M. and Zain, M.F.M. (2010), "A combined ultrasound method applied to high performance concrete with silica fume", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(1), 94-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.08.012
- Holschemacher, K., Mueller, T. and Ribakov, Y. (2010), "Effect of steel fibres on mechanical properties of high-strength concrete", Mater. Design, 31(5), 2604-2615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.11.025
- Hwang, J.-H., Lee, D.H., Park, M.K., Choi, S.-H., Kim, K.S. and Pan, Z. (2015), "Shear performance assessment of steel fiber reinforced-prestressed concrete members", Comput. Concrete, 16(6), 825-846. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.6.825
- Jedrzejowicz, P. and Ratajczak-Ropel, E. (2009), "Agent-based gene expression programming for solving the RCPSP/max problem", Adapt. Nat. Comput. Algor., 5495, 203-212.
- Jiang, C., Fan, K., Wu, F. and Chen, D. (2014), "Experimental study on the mechanical properties and microstructure of chopped basalt fibre reinforced concrete", Mater. Design, 58, 187-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.01.056
- Kaikea, A., Achoura, D., Duplan, F. and Rizzuti, L. (2014), "Effect of mineral admixtures and steel fiber volume contents on the behavior of high performance fiber reinforced concrete", Mater. Design, 63, 493-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.06.066
- Kayadelen, C., Gunaydin, O., Fener, M., Demir, A. and Ozvan A. (2009), "Modeling of the angle of shearing resistance of soils using soft computing systems", Expert Syst. Appl., 36(9), 11814-11826. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.04.008
- Kayali, O., Haque, M.N. and Zhu, B. (2003), "Some characteristics of high strength fiber reinforced lightweight aggregate concrete", Cement Concrete Comp., 25(2), 207-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(02)00016-1
- Kelestemur, O. and Demirel, B. (2010), "Corrosion behavior of reinforcing steel embedded in concrete produced with finely ground pumice and silica fume", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(10), 1898-1905. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.04.013
- Khatib, J.M. (2008), "Metakaolin concrete at a low water to binder ratio", Constr. Build. Mater., 22(8), 1691-1700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.06.003
- Koksal, F., Altun, F., Yigit, I. and Sahin, Y. (2008), "Combined effect of silica fume and steel fiber on the mechanical properties of high strength concretes", Constr. Build. Mater., 22(8), 1874-1880. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.04.017
- Luccioni, B., Ruano, G., Isla, F., Zerbino, R. and Giaccio, G. (2012), "A simple approach to model SFRC", Constr. Build. Mater., 37, 111-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.027
- Mo, K.H., Yap, K.K.Q., Alengaram, U.J. and Jumaat, M.Z. (2014), "The effect of steel fibres on the enhancement of flexural and compressive toughness and fracture characteristics of oil palm shell concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 55, 20-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.12.103
- Nasser, K.W. and Al-Manaseer, A.A. (1987), "It's time for a change from 6x12 to 3x6 inch cylinders", ACI Mater. J., 84(3), 213-216.
- Nazari, A. (2013), "Compressive strength of geopolymers produced by ordinary Portland cement: Application of genetic programming for design", Mater. Design, 43, 356-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.07.012
- Neville, A.M. (1996), Properties of Concrete, (4th and Final Ed.), Addison Wesley Logman, England.
Nik, A.S. and Omran, O.L. (2013), "Estimation of compressive strength of self-compacted concrete with fibers consisting nano-
$SiO_2$using ultrasonic pulse velocity", Constr. Build. Mater., 44, 654-662. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.03.082
- Nikbin, I.M., Dehestani, M., Beygi, M.H.A. and Rezvani, M. (2014), "Effects of cube size and placement direction on compressive strength of self-consolidating concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 59, 144-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.02.008
- Nili, M. and Afroughsabet, V. (2012), "Property assessment of steel-fibre reinforced concrete made with silica fume", Constr. Build. Mater., 28(1), 664-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.10.027
- Parande, A.K., Babu, B.R., Karthik, M.A., Kumaar, K.K.D. and Palaniswamy, N. (2008), "Study on strength and corrosion performance for steel embedded in metakaolin blended concrete/mortar", Constr. Build. Mater., 22(3), 127-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.10.003
- Perumal, R. (2014), "Performance and modeling of highperformance steel fiber reinforced concrete under impact loads", Comput. Concrete, 13(2), 255-270. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.13.2.255
- Poon, C.S., Kou, S.C. and Lam, L. (2006), "Compressive strength, chloride diffusivity and pore structure of high performance metakaolin and silica fume concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 20(10), 858-865. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2005.07.001
- Rashid, M.A., Mansur, M.A. and Paramasivam, P. (2004), "Correlations between mechanical properties of high-strength concrete", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 14(3), 230-238.
- Rashiddadash, P., Ramezanianpour, A.A. and Mahdikhani, M. (2014), "Experimental investigation on flexural toughness of hybrid fiber reinforced concrete (HFRC) containing metakaolin and pumice", Constr. Build. Mater., 51, 313-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.10.087
- Ruano, G., Isla, F., Pedraza, R.I., Sfer, D. and Luccioni, B. (2014), "Shear retrofitting of reinforced concrete beams with steel fiber reinforced concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 54, 646-658. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.12.092
- Saridemir, M. (2009), "Prediction of compressive strength of concretes containing metakaolin and silica fume by artificial neural networks", Adv. Eng. Softw., 40(5), 350-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2008.05.002
- Shaaban, A.M. and Gesund, H. (1993), Splitting tensile strength of steel fiber reinforced concrete cylinders consolidated by rodding or vibrating. ACI Mater. J., 90(4), 366-369.
- Shariq, M., Prasad, J. and Masood, A. (2013), "Studies in ultrasonic pulse velocity of concrete containing GGBFS", Constr. Build. Mater., 40, 944-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.11.070
- Sim, J.-II, Yang, K.-H., Kim, H.-Y. and Choi, B.-J. (2013), "Size and shape effects on compressive strength of lightweight concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 38, 854-864. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.09.073
- TS EN 12390-3 (2010), Testing hardened concrete - part 3: compressive strength of test specimens; TSE, Turkey.
- TS EN 12390-5 (2010), Testing hardened concrete - part 5: flexural strength of test specimens; TSE, Turkey.
- TS EN 12390-6 (2010), Testing hardened concrete - part 6: tensile splitting strength of test specimens; TSE, Turkey.
- TS EN-197-1 (2004), Cements-Part 1: Compositions and conformity criteria for common cements; Turkish Standards Institute, TSE, Turkey.
- Xu, B.W. and Shi, H.S. (2009), "Correlations among mechanical properties of steel fiber reinforced concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(12), 3468-3474. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.08.017
- Yazici, S. and Sezer, G.I. (2007), "The effect of cylindrical specimen size on the compressive strength of concrete", Build. Environ., 42(6), 2417-2420. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2006.06.014
- Yi, S.-T., Yang, E.-I. and Choi, J.-C. (2006), "Effect of specimen sizes, specimen shapes and placement directions on compressive strength of concrete", Nucl. Eng. Des., 236(2), 115-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2005.08.004
- Zhang, X.X., Elazim, A.M.A., Ruiz, G. and Yu, R.C. (2014), "Fracture behaviour of steel fibre-reinforced concrete at a wide range of loading rates", Int. J. Impact Eng., 71, 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2014.04.009