- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experimental study and calculation of laterally-prestressed confined concrete columns
- Nematzadeh, Mahdi (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Mazandaran) ;
- Fazli, Saeed (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Mazandaran) ;
- Hajirasouliha, Iman (Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Sheffield)
- Received : 2016.11.04
- Accepted : 2017.01.24
- Published : 2017.04.10
In this paper, the effect of active confinement on the compressive behaviour of circular steel tube-confined concrete (STCC) and concrete-filled steel tube (CFST) columns is investigated. In STCC columns the axial load is only applied to the concrete core, while in CFST columns the load is carried by the whole composite section. A new method is introduced to apply confining pressure on fresh concrete by laterally prestressing steel tubes. In order to achieve different prestressing levels, short-term and long-term pressures are applied to the fresh concrete. Three groups of STCC and CFST specimens (passive, S-active and L-active groups) are tested under axial loads. The results including stress-strain relationships of composite column components, secant modulus of elasticity, and volumetric strain are presented and discussed. Based on the elastic-plastic theory, the behaviour of the steel tube is also analyzed during elastic, yielding, and strain hardening stages. The results show that using the proposed prestressing method can considerably improve the compressive behaviour of both STCC and CFST specimens, while increasing the prestressing level has insignificant effects. By applying prestressing, the linear range in the stress-strain curve of STCC specimens increases by almost twice as much, while the improvement is negligible in CFST specimens.
prestressing;stress-strain;elastic-plastic theory;confined concrete;steel tube;active confinement
- Abed, F., Alhamaydeh, M. and Abdalla, S. (2013), "Experimental and numerical investigations of the compressive behavior of concrete filled steel tubes (CFSTs)", J. Constr. Steel Res., 80, 429-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.10.005
- Aboutaha, R.S. and Machado, R. (1998), "Seismic resistance of steel confined reinforced concrete (SCRC) columns", The Structu. Des. Tall Build., 7(3), 251-260. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1794(199809)7:3<251::AID-TAL112>3.0.CO;2-J
- ACI Committee 211.1-91 (2000), Standard practice for selecting proportions for normal, heavyweight, and mass concrete; ACI manual of concrete practice, Part 1. Michigan (USA): American Concrete Institute, 38 p.
- ASTM C39/C39M (2002), Standard test method for compressive strength of cylindrical concrete specimens; Annual Book of ASTM Standard 04.
- Chang, X., Huang, C.K. and Chen, Y.J. (2009), "Mechanical performance of eccentrically loaded prestressing concrete filled circular steel tube columns by means of expansive cement", Eng. Struct., 31(11), 2588-2597. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.06.007
- Ellobody, E. and Young, B. (2006), "Design and behaviour of concrete-filled cold-formed stainless steel tube columns", J. Eng. Struct., 28(5), 716-728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.09.023
- Fu, Z., Ji, B., Lv, L. and Yang, M. (2011), "The Mechanical Properties of Lightweight Aggregate Concrete Confined by Steel Tube", Geotechnical Special Publication No. 219, ASCE, 33-39.
- Han, L.H., Yao, G.H., Chen, Z.P. and Yu, Q. (2005), "Experimental behaviour of steel tube confined concrete (STCC) columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 5(6), 459-484. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2005.5.6.459
- Hosford, W. (2010), Solid Mechanics, University of Michigan, Emeritus, Cambridge University Press, 262 p.
- Hua, W., Wang, H.J. and Hasegawa, A. (2014), "Experimental study on reinforced concrete filled circular steel tubular columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(4), 517-533. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.4.517
- Huang, Y., Xiao, J. and Zhang, C. (2012), "Theoretical study on mechanical behavior of steel confined recycled aggregate concrete", J. Constr. Steel Res., 76, 100-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.020
- Janke, L., Czaderski, C., Ruth, J. and Motavalli, M. (2009), "Experiments on the residual load-bearing capacity of prestressed confined concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 31(10), 2247-2256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.04.006
- Kim, J.K., Kwak, H.G. and Kwak, J.H. (2013), "Behavior of hybrid double skin concrete filled circular steel tube columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 14(2), 191-204. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.2.191
- Krstulovic-Opara, N. and Thiedeman, P.D. (2000), "Active confinement of concrete members with self-stressing composites", ACI Mater. J., 97(3), 297-308.
- Lai, M.H. and Ho, J.C.M. (2014), "Confinement effect of ringconfined concrete-filled-steel-tube columns under uni-axial load", J. Eng. Struct., 67, 123-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.02.013
- Moghaddam, H., Samadi, M., Pilakoutas, K. and Mohebbi, S. (2010), "Axial compressive behavior of concrete actively confined by metal strips; Part A: Experimental study", Mater. Struct., 43(10), 1369-1381. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-010-9588-6
- Mokari, J. and Moghadam, A.S. (2008), "Experimental and theoretical study of reinforced concrete columns with poor confinement retrofitted by thermal post tension steel jacketing", J. Appl. Sci., 8(24), 4579-4586. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2008.4579.4586
- Mortazavi, A.A., Pilakoutas, K. and Son, K.S. (2003), "RC column strengthening by lateral pre-tensioning of FRP", Constr. Build. Mater., 17(6), 491-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-0618(03)00046-1
- Nematzadeh, M. and Naghipour, M. (2012), "Compressive strength and modulus of elasticity of freshly compressed concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 34, 476-485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.02.055
- Nematzadeh, M., Fazli, S., Naghipour, M. and Jalali, J. (2017), "Experimental study on modulus of elasticity of steel tubeconfined concrete stub columns with active and passive confinement", Eng. Struct., 130, 142-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.10.008
- Shinohara, Y. (2008), "Effect of transverse prestressing on shear behaviors of high-strength concrete columns", Proceedings of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Bejing, China, October.
- Shin, M. and Andrawes, B. (2010), "Experimental investigation of actively confined concrete using shape memory alloys", Eng. Struct., 32(3), 656-664. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.11.012
- Tokgoz, S. and Dundar, C. (2010), "Experimental study on steel tubular columns in-filled with plain and steel fiber reinforced concrete", Thin-Wall. Struct., 48(6), 414-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2010.01.009
- Uy, B., Tao, Z. and Han, L.H. (2011), "Behaviour of short and slender concrete-filled stainless steel tubular columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(3), 360-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.10.004
- Yu, Q., Tao, Z., Liu, W. and Chen, Z.-B. (2010), "Analysis and calculation of steel tube confined concrete (STCC) stub columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66(1), 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.08.003
- Wan, C.Y. and Zha, X.X. (2016), "Nonlinear analysis and design of concrete-filled dual steel tubular columns under axial loading", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 20(3), 571-597. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.3.571