- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Semi-rigidity of cap plate and extended end plate connections
- Nassani, Dia Eddin (Department of Civil Engineering, Hasan Kalyoncu University) ;
- Chikho, Abdul Hakim (Faulty of Civil Engineering, Aleppo University) ;
- Akgonen, Aliriza llker (Department of Civil Engineering, Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University)
- 투고 : 2016.08.12
- 심사 : 2017.01.20
- 발행 : 2017.04.10
The behaviour of steel frames is highly influenced by the beam-column connections. Traditionally, Steel frames were usually designed assuming that connections are ideally pinned or fully rigid. A semi-rigid connection, however, creates a balance between the two extreme approaches mentioned above. In this research, two full scales of Extended End Plate Connections (EEPCs) were tested. Mathematical and numerical models were used to analyse the connections, and close correlations were found between these models and the corresponding tested specimens, which confirmed the confidence in the experimental results. The experimental results obtained enrich the available test data about behaviour of EEPC. In addition, the purpose of studying EEPC experimentally is to compare the stiffness and moment-rotation curve of EEPCs with that of Cap Plate Connections (CPCs), which were tested in a previous work. CPCs have not been studied sufficiently in the literature. The results obtained show that the typical CPC reduces the connection stiffness and these results will make a valuable contribution to the available test data in the research area of CPC.
extended end plate;cap plate;semi-rigid connection;experimental test;moment-rotation curve
- Abolmaali, A., Kukreti, A., Motahari, A. and Ghassemieh, M. (2009), "Energy dissipation characteristics of semi-rigid connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(5), 1187-1197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.05.014
- AISC ASD (1989), Manual of Steel Construction, Allowable Stress Design; (Ninth Edition), American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL, USA.
- AISC LRFD (2005), Manual of steel construction, Load and Resistance Factor Design; American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Al-Jabri, K.S., Burgess, I.W., Lennon, T. and Plank R.J. (2005), "Moment rotation temperature curves for semi-rigid joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(3), 281-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.09.001
- ANSYS Inc. (2013), ANSYS CFX, Release 15.0, USA.
- Bahaari, M.R. and Sherbourne, A.N. (1996), "3D simulation of bolted connections to unstiffened columns - I. T-stub connection", J. Constr. Steel Res., 40(2), 169-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(96)00048-X
- Bai, R., Chan, S.L. and Hao, J.P. (2015), "Improved design of extended end-plate connection allowing for prying effects", J. Constr. Steel Res., 113, 13-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.05.008
- Baniotopoulo, C.C. and Wald, F. (2000), The Paramount Role of Joints into the Reliable Response of Structures, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands.
- Bose, B. and Hughes, A.F. (1995), "Verifying the performance of standard ductile connections for semi-continuous steel frames", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Structures and Buildings, 110(4), 441-457. https://doi.org/10.1680/istbu.1995.28061
- Coelho, A.M.G., Bijlaard, F.S.K. and Silva, L.S.D. (2004), "Experimental assessment of the ductility of extended end plate connections", Eng. Struct., 26(9), 1185-1206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2000.09.001
- Couchman, G.H. (1997), Design of Semi-Continuous Braced Frames; Steel Construction Institute Publication 183, Silkwood Park, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7QN, UK.
- Del Savio, A.A., Nethercot, D.A., Vellasco, P.C.G.S., Andrade, S.A.L. and Martha, L.F. (2009), "Generalised component-based model for beam-to-column connections including axial versus moment interaction", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(8), 1876-1895. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.02.011
- El-Boghdadi, M.H. (1998), "Elastic plastic analysis of semi-rigid industrial frames", Ph.D. Thesis; KFUPM, KSA.
- EN 1993-1-8:2005 (2005), Eurocode 3: design of steel structures-part 1-8: design of joints; European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- Faella, C., Piluso, V. and Rizzano, G. (2000), Structural Steel Semirigid Connections: Theory, Design and Software, New Directions in Civil Engineering; CRC publishers (EEUU), Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Fang, C., Yam, M.C.H., Lam, A.C.C. and Xie, L. (2014), "Cyclic performance of extended end-plate connections equipped with shape memory alloy", J. Constr. Steel Res., 94, 122-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.11.008
- Hayalioglu, M.S. and Degertekin, S.O. (2005), "Minimum cost design of steel frames with semi-rigid connections and column bases via genetic optimization", Comput. Struct., 83(21), 1849-1863. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2005.02.009
- Jaspart, J.P., Braham, M. and Cerfontaine, F. (1999), "Strength of joints subjected to combined action of bending moments and axial forces", Proceedings of European Conference on Steel Structures-Eurosteel, Prague, Czech Republic, May, pp. 465-468.
- Jaspart, J.P. and Maquoi, R. (1990), "Guidelines for the design of braced frames with semi-rigid connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 16(4), 319-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(90)90033-D
- Jones, S.W., Kirby, P.A. and Nethercot, D.A. (1983), "The Analysis of Frames with Semi-Rigid Connections-A State of the Art Report", J. Constr. Steel Res., 3(2), 2-13.
- Kishi, N. and Chen W.F. (1990), "Moment-rotations of semi-rigid connections with angles", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 116(7), 1813-1834. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:7(1813)
- Kong, Z. and Kim, S.E. (2016), "Numerical estimation of the initial stiffness and ultimate moment capacity of single-web angle connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 121, 282-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.02.011
- Lui, E.M. and Chen, W.F. (1987), "Steel frame analysis with flexible joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 8, 161-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(87)90058-7
- Nassani, D.E. (2011), "Static and dynamic behavior of frames with semi-rigid connection", Ph.D. Thesis; Aleppo University, Syria.
- Nassani, D.E. (2014), "Behaviour of steel cap plate connections: Experimental tests", Int. J. Steel Struct., 14(3), 649-657. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-014-3022-9
- Nassani, D.E. and Chicko, A.H. (2015), "A Simple formula for estimating the column ultimate load with effect of semi-rigid connections", Int. J. Steel Struct., 15(1), 31-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-014-1104-3
- Patnana, V. and Vyavahare, A.Y. (2016), "Moment rotation curves for semi rigid connections", Proceedings of International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, and Optimization Techniques (ICEEOT), Chennai , India, March.
- Penar, B.W. (2005), "Recentering beam-column connections using shape memory alloys", Master Thesis; School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA.
- Salmon, C.G., Johnson, E.J. and Malhas, F.A. (2009), Steel Structures, Design and Behavior, (5th Edition), Pearson Prentice Hall, USA.
- Scerbo, J.S. (1996), "Analysis of steel frames with deformable beam to column connections", M.Sc. Thesis; The University of Manitoba, Canada.
- Tahir, M.M.D., Sulaiman, A. and Saggaff, A. (2008), "Structural behaviour of trapezoidal web profiled steel beam section using partial strength connection", Electr. J. Struct. Eng., 8, 55-66.
- Thai, H.T., Uy, B., Kang, W.H. and Hicks, S. (2016), "System reliability evaluation of steel frames with semi-rigid connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 121, 29-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.01.009
- Weynand, K., Jaspart, J.P. and Steenhuis, M. (1998), "Economy studies of steel frames with semi-rigid joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 1(1-3), Paper No. 63.
- Ypma, T.J. (1995), "Historical development of the Newton-Raphson method", SIAM Rev., 37(4), 531-555. https://doi.org/10.1137/1037125