- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of B-complex vitamins on the antifatigue activity and bioavailability of ginsenoside Re after oral administration
- Chen, Yin Bin (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Wang, Yu Fang (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Hou, Wei (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Wang, Ying Ping (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Xiao, Sheng Yuan (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Fu, Yang Yang (School of Life Science of Beijing Institute of Technology) ;
- Wang, Jia (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Zheng, Si Wen (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Zheng, Pei He (Institute of Special Wild Economic Animals and Plants, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences)
- Received : 2015.11.18
- Accepted : 2016.03.24
- Published : 2017.04.15
Background: Both ginsenoside Re and B-complex vitamins are widely used as nutritional supplements. They are often taken together so as to fully utilize their antifatigue and refreshing effects, respectively. Whether actually a drug-nutrient interaction exists between ginsenoside Re and B-complex vitamins is still unknown. The objective of this study was to simultaneously investigate the effect of B-complex vitamins on the antifatigue activity and bioavailability of ginsenoside Re after their oral administration. The study results will provide valuable theoretical guidance for the combined utilization of ginseng and B-complex vitamins. Methods: Ginsenoside Re with or without B-complex vitamins was orally administered to mice to evaluate its antifatigue effects and to rats to evaluate its bioavailability. The antifatigue activity was evaluated by the weight-loaded swimming test and biochemical parameters, including hepatic glycogen, plasma urea nitrogen, and blood lactic acid. The concentration of ginsenoside Re in plasma was determined by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Results: No antifatigue effect of ginsenoside Re was noted when ginsenoside Re in combination with B-complex vitamins was orally administered to mice. B-complex vitamins caused to a reduction in the bioavailability of ginsenoside Re with the area under the concentration-time curve from zero to infinity markedly decreasing from
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology of China
- Shin BK, Kwon SW, Park JH. Chemical diversity of ginseng saponins from Panax ginseng. J Ginseng Res 2015;39:287-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2014.12.005
- Christensen LP. Ginsenosides: chemistry, biosynthesis, analysis, and potential health effects. Adv Food Nutr Res 2008;55:1-99.
- Xie JT, Shao ZH, Vanden Hoek TL, Chang WT, Li J, Mehendale S, Wang CZ, Hsu CW, Becker LB, Yin JJ, et al. Antioxidant effects of ginsenoside Re in cardiomyocytes. Eur J Pharmacol 2006;532:201-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2006.01.001
- Leung KW, Leung FP, Huang Y, Mak NK, Wong RN. Non-genomic effects of ginsenoside-Re in endothelial cells via glucocorticoid receptor. FEBS Lett 2007;581:2423-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2007.04.055
- Liu YW, Zhu X, Li W, Lu Q, Wang JY, Wei YQ, Yin XX. Ginsenoside Re attenuates diabetes-associated cognitive deficits in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2012;101:93-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbb.2011.12.003
- Kennedy DO, Veasey R, Watson A, Dodd F, Jones E, Maggini S, Haskell CF. Effects of high-dose B vitamin complex with vitamin C and minerals on subjective mood and performance in healthy males. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2010;211:55-68. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00213-010-1870-3
- Kennedy DO, Haskell CF, Robertson B, Reay J, Brewster-Maund C, Luedemann J, Maggini S, Ruf M, Zangara A, Scholey AB. Improved cognitive performance and mental fatigue following a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement with added guarana (Paullinia cupana). Appetite 2008;50:506-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2007.10.007
- Haskell CF, Scholey AB, Jackson PA, Elliott JM, Defeyter MA, Greer J, Robertson BC, Buchanan T, Tiplady B, Kennedy DO. Cognitive and mood effects in healthy children during 12 weeks' supplementation with multi-vitamin/minerals. Br J Nutr 2008;100:1086-96. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508959213
- Benton D, Fordy J, Haller J. The impact of long-term vitamin supplementation on cognitive functioning. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1995;117:298-305. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02246104
- Williams RJ, Eakin RE, Beerstecher EJ, Shive W. The biochemistry of B vitamins. New York: Reinhold Publishing Corporation; 1950.
- Boullata JI, Armenti VT. Handbook of drugenutrient interactions. In: Joseph B, Vincen A, editors. 2nd ed. White Plains (NY): Springer Science & Business Media; 2004.
- Chan LN. Drugenutrient interaction in clinical nutrition. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2002;5:327-32. https://doi.org/10.1097/00075197-200205000-00014
- Rodrigues AD. Drugedrug interactions. 2nd ed. New York: Informa Healthcare USA; 2008.
- Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. Technical standards for testing & assessment of health food. In: 2003 ed. Beijing: China National Health Inspection; 2003.
- Joo KM, Lee JH, Jeon HY, Park CW, Hong DK, Jeong HJ, Lee SJ, Lee SY, Lim KM. Pharmacokinetic study of ginsenoside Re with pure ginsenoside Re and ginseng berry extracts in mouse using ultra performance liquid chromatography/mass spectrometric method. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2010;51:278-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2009.08.013
- Yang L, Xu SJ, Liu CJ, Su ZJ. In vivo metabolism study of ginsenoside Re in rat using high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Bioanal Chem 2009;395:1441-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-009-3121-1
- Kesarwani K, Gupta R, Mukerjee A. Bioavailability enhancers of herbal origin: an overview. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3:253-66.
- Han M, Fang XL. Difference in oral absorption of ginsenoside Rg1 between in vitro and in vivo models. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2006;27:499-505. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7254.2006.00303.x
- Liu H, Yang J, Du F, Gao X, Ma X, Huang Y, Xu F, Niu W, Wang F, Mao Y, et al. Absorption and disposition of ginsenosides after oral administration of Panax notoginseng extract to rats. Drug Metab Dispos 2009;37:2290-8. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.109.029819
- Xiong J, Guo JX, Huang LS, Meng BY, Ping QN. Self-micelle formation and the incorporation of lipid in the formulation affect the intestinal absorption of Panax notoginseng. Int J Pharm 2008;360:191-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2008.04.016
- Xiong J, Guo J, Huang L, Meng B, Ping Q. The use of lipid-based formulations to increase the oral bioavailability of Panax notoginseng saponins following a single oral gavage to rats. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2008;34:65-72. https://doi.org/10.1080/03639040701508292
- Wang W, Liao QP, Quan LH, Liu CY, Chang Q, Liu XM, Liao YH. The effect of Acorus gramineus on the bioavailabilities and brain concentrations of ginsenosides Rg1, Re and Rb1 after oral administration of Kai-Xin-San preparations in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2010;131:313-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.06.034
- Wandel C, Kim RB, Kajiji S, Guengerich P, Wilkinson GR, Wood AJ. P-glycoprotein and cytochrome P-450 3A inhibition: dissociation of inhibitory potencies. Cancer Res 1999;59:3944-8.
- Liu CX, Yi XL, Si DY, Xiao XF, He X, Li YZ. Herbedrug interactions involving drug metabolizing enzymes and transporters. Curr Drug Metab 2011;12:835-49. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920011797470083
- Patel J, Buddha B, Dey S, Pal D, Mitra AK. In vitro interaction of the HIV protease inhibitor ritonavir with herbal constituents: changes in P-gp and CYP3A4 activity. Am J Ther 2004;11:262-77. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mjt.0000101827.94820.22
- Yang Z, Gao S, Wang J, Yin T, Teng Y, Wu B, You M, Jiang Z, Hu M. Enhancement of oral bioavailability of 20 (S)-ginsenoside Rh2 through improved understanding of its absorption and efflux mechanisms. Drug Metab Dispos 2011;39:1866-72. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.111.040006
- Yang Z, Wang JR, Niu T, Gao S, Yin T, You M, Jiang ZH, Hu M. Inhibition of Pglycoprotein leads to improved oral bioavailability of compound K, an anticancer metabolite of red ginseng extract produced by gut microflora. Drug Metab Dispos 2012;40:1538-44. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.111.044008
- Zhang B, Zhu XM, Hu JN, Ye H, Luo T, Liu XR, Li HY, Li W, Zheng YN, Deng ZY. Absorption mechanism of ginsenoside compound K and its butyl and octyl ester prodrugs in Caco-2 cells. J Agric Food Chem 2012;60:10278-84. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf303160y
- Alemdaroglu NC, Dietz U, Wolffram S, Spahn-Langguth H, Langguth P. Influence of green and black tea on folic acid pharmacokinetics in healthy volunteers: potential risk of diminished folic acid bioavailability. Biopharm Drug Dispos 2008;29:335-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/bdd.617
- Rivier DA. Kinetics and Na-dependence of riboflavin absorption by intestine in vivo. Experientia 1973;29:1443-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01922868