- Volume 62 Issue 2
For the conventional computational methods for structural reliability analysis, the common limitations are long computational time, large number of iteration and low accuracy. Thus, a new novel method for structural reliability analysis has been proposed in this paper based on response surface method incorporated with an improved genetic algorithm. The genetic algorithm is first improved from the conventional genetic algorithm. Then, it is used to produce the response surface and the structural reliability is finally computed using the proposed method. The proposed method can be used to compute structural reliability easily whether the limit state function is explicit or implicit. It has been verified by two practical engineering cases that the algorithm is simple, robust, high accuracy and fast computation.
structural reliability;response surface method;improved genetic algorithm
- Bai, Y.C., Han, X., Jiang, C. and Bi, R.G. (2014), "A responsesurface-based structural reliability analysis method by using non-probability convex model", Appl. Math. Model., 38(15-16), 3834-3847. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2013.11.053
- Basaga, H.B., Bayraktar, A. and Kaymaz, I. (2012), "An improved response surface method for reliability analysis of structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 42(2), 175-189. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.42.2.175
- Ellingwood, B. and Galambos, T.V. (1982), "Probability-based criteria for structural design", Struct. Saf., 1(1), 15-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4730(82)90012-1
- Fang, Y., Chen, J. and Tee, K.F. (2013), "Analysis of structural dynamic reliability based on the probability density evolution method", Struct. Eng. Mech., 45(2), 201-209. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.45.2.201
- Fang, Y., Wen, L. and Tee, K.F. (2014), "Reliability analysis of repairable k-out-n system from time response under several times stochastic shocks", Smart Struct. Syst., 14(4), 559-567. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.559
- Fang, Y., Xiong, J. and Tee, K.F. (2015), "Time-variant structural fuzzy reliability analysis under stochastic loads applied several times", Struct. Eng. Mech., 55(3), 525-534. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.3.525
- He, X. and Liang, J. (2001), "Genetic algorithm using gradients of object function", J. Softw., 12(7), 981-986.
- Jiang, C., Lu, G.Y., Han, X. and Liu, L.X. (2012), "A new reliability analysis method for uncertain structures with random and interval variables", Int. J. Mech. Mater. Des., 8(2), 169-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10999-012-9184-8
- Kang, S.C., Koh, H.M. and Choo, J.F. (2010), "An efficient response surface method using moving least squares approximation for structural reliability analysis", Prob. Eng. Mech., 25(4), 365-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2010.04.002
- Khan, L.R. and Tee, K.F. (2016), "Risk-cost optimization of buried pipelines using subset simulation", J. Infrastr. Syst., ASCE, 22(2), 04016001. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)IS.1943-555X.0000287
- Kim, C. (2008), "Reliability-based design optimization using response surface method with prediction interval estimation", J. Mech. Des., 130(12), 1786-1787
- Li, S. and Chen, J. (2013), "A new improved response surface method for structural reliability computing", J. Central South Univ., 44(5), 1837-1841.
- Liu, P.L. and Kiureghian, A.D. (1991), "Optimization algorithms for structural reliability", Struct. Saf., 9(3), 161-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4730(91)90041-7
- Mahmoodian, M., Alani, A.M. and Tee, K.F. (2012), "Stochastic failure analysis of the gusset plates in the Mississippi river bridge", Int. J. Foren. Eng., 1(2), 153-166. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJFE.2012.050415
- Michhalewicz, Z. (1994), Genetic Algorithm Data Structure Evolution Program, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Ponnambalam, S.G. (2014), "An effective hybrid cuckoo search and genetic algorithm for constrained engineering design optimization", Eng. Optim., 46(10), 1331-1351. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2013.836640
- Rajashekhar, M.R. and Ellingwood, B.R. (1993), "A new look at the response surface approach for reliability analysis", Struct. Saf., 12(3), 5-20.
- Shao, J., Cheng, H. and Xu, J. (2001), "Application of genetic algorithm in reliability optimization of structure", Build. Sci. Res. Sichuan, 27(2), 4-5.
- Su, G., Jiang, J., Yu, B. and Xiao, Y. (2015), "A Gaussian processbased response surface method for structural reliability analysis", Struct. Eng. Mech., 56(4), 549-567. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.56.4.549
- Tee, K.F., Khan, L.R. and Coolen-Maturi, T. (2015), "Application of receiver operating characteristic curve for pipeline reliability analysis", J. Risk Reliab. IMechE, Part O, 229(3), 181-192.
- Tee, K.F., Khan, L.R., Chen, H.P. and Alani, A.M. (2014), "Reliability based life cycle cost optimization for underground pipeline networks", Tunnel. Underg. Space Tech., 43, 32-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2014.04.007
- Xuan, G. and Chen, R. (2000), Genetic Algorithms and Engineering Design, Science Press, Beijing.
- Yang, P., Liu, J. and Guan, Q. (2002), "An improved genetic algorithm for assembly sequence optimization", Comput. Integrat. Manuf. Syst., 8(6), 467-471.
- Research on Timing Optimization of Reginal Traffic Signals Based on Improved Genetic Algorithm vol.423, pp.1757-899X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/423/1/012191
- Dynamic Reliability Design of Multicomponent Structure with Improved Weighted Regression Distributed Collaborative Surrogate Model Method vol.2018, pp.1687-8442, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3832783
Supported by : Bijie University