- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Response Analyses of Fixed Type Substructures for 2.5MW Class Offshore Wind Turbine
- Song, Chang Yong (Department of Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, Mokpo National University) ;
- Yoo, Jaehoon (Department of Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, Mokpo National University)
- Received : 2016.12.21
- Accepted : 2017.02.14
- Published : 2017.03.31
This paper explores a series of numerical simulations of dynamic responses of multi-piles (dolphin) type substructures for 2.5MW class offshore wind turbine. Firstly computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation was performed to evaluate wave loads on the dolphin type substructures with the design wave condition for the west-south region of Korea. Numerical wave tank (NWT) based on CFD was adopted to generate numerically a progressive regular wave using a virtual piston type wave maker. It was found that the water-piercing area of piles of the substructure is a key parameter determining the wave load exerted in horizontal direction. In the next the dynamic structural responses of substructure members under the wave load were calculated using finite element analysis (FEA). In the FEA approach, the dynamic structural responses were able to be calculated including a deformable body effect of substructure members when wave load on each member was determined by Morison's formula. The paper numerically identifies dynamic response characteristics of dolphin type substructures for 2.5MW class offshore wind turbine.
Supported by : Ministry Of Trade, Industry & ENERGY(MOTIE)
- ANSYS, ASAS User's Manual Version 13, (2010)
- Chella, M.A., Torum, A., and Myrhaug, D., An Overview of Wave Impact Forces on Offshore Wind Turbine Substructures, Energy Procedia, 20 (1) (2012), 217-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2012.03.022
- Fluent Inc., Fluent 12.1 User's guide, (2008)), 201-225.
- Hirt, C.W. and Nichols, B.D., Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for The Dynamics of Free Boundaries, Journal of Computational Physics, 39 (1) (1981).
- Li, M., Zhang, H., and Guan, H., Study of Offshore Monopile Behavior due to Ocean Waves, Ocean Engineering, 38 (17) (2011), 1946-1956. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.09.022
- Zhang R. and Lou, M., Substructure Analysis Method for Dynamic Response of Large-Scale Soil Site, Procedia Engineering, 14 (1) (2011), 1417-1424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.178