- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Improving compressive strength of low calcium fly ash geopolymer concrete with alccofine
- Jindal, Bharat Bhushan (IK Gujral Punjab Technical University) ;
- Singhal, Dhirendra (Department of Civil Engineering, DCRUST Murthal) ;
- Sharma, Sanjay K. (Department of Civil Engineering, NITTTR) ;
- Ashish, Deepankar K. (Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology, Maharaja Agrasen University) ;
- Parveen, Parveen (Department of Civil Engineering, DCRUST Murthal)
- Received : 2017.01.26
- Accepted : 2017.02.15
- Published : 2017.02.25
Geopolymer concrete is environmentally friendly and could be considered as a construction material to promote the sustainable development. In this paper fly ash based geopolymer concretes with different percentages of alccofine were made by mixing sodium hydroxide and sodium silicate as an alkaline activator and cured at ambient as well as heat environment in an electric oven at
geopolymer concrete;alccofines;heat cured;ambient cured;x-ray diffraction
- Aredes, F.G.M., Campos, T.M.B., Machado, J.P.B., Sakane, K.K., Thim, G.P. and Brunelli, D.D. (2015), "Effect of cure temperature on the formation of metakaolinite-based geopolymer", Ceram., 41(6), 7302-7311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2015.02.022
- BIS 516 (1959), Methods of Tests for Strength of Concrete, New Delhi, India.
- BIS 1199 (1959), Method of Sampling and Analysis of Concrete, New Delhi, India.
- BIS 2386 (1963), Methods of Test for Aggregates Concrete-Part I Particle Size and Shape, New Delhi, India.
- BIS 383 (1970), Specification for Coarse and Fine Aggregates from Natural Sources for Concrete, New Delhi, India.
- BIS 7320 (1974), Indian Standard Specification for Concrete Slump Test Apparatus, New Delhi, India.
- BIS 9103 (1999), Concrete Admixtures-Specification, New Delhi, India.
- BIS 456 (2000), Plain and Reinforced Concrete-Code of Practice, New Delhi, India.
- BIS 3812 (2003), Pulverized Fuel Ash-Specifications, New Delhi, India.
- Buchwald, A. (2006). "What are geopolymers? Current state of research and technology, the opportunities they offer, and their significance for the precast industry", Betonwerk und Fertigteil-Technik, 72(7), 42-49.
- Chindaprasirt, P., Chareerat, T. and Sirivivatnanon, V. (2007), "Workability and strength of coarse high calcium fly ash geopolymer", Cement Concrete Compos., 29(3), 224-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2006.11.002
- Cross, D., Stephens, J. and Vollmer, J. (2005), "Field trials of 100% fly ash concrete", Concrete, 27(9), 47-51.
- Adam, A.A. (2009), "Strength and durability properties of alkali activated slag and fly ash-based geopolymer concrete", Ph.D. Dissertation, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia.
- Adam, A.A. and Horianto, X.X.X. (2014), "The effect of temperature and duration of curing on the strength of fly ash based geopolymer mortar", Proc. Eng., 95, 410-414. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.12.199
- Davidovits, J. (1988), "Soft mineralogy and geopolymers", Proceedings of the 88th International Conference on Geopolymer, Universite de Technologie, Compiegne, France.
- Davidovits, J. (1994a), "Global warming impact on the cement and aggregates industries", World Res. Rev., 6(2), 263-278.
- Davidovits, J. (1994b), "High alkali cements for 21st century concretes", Struct. Eng. Mech., 144, 383-398.
- Duan, P.C., Yan, W., Zhou, W., Luo, W. and Shen, C. (2015), "An investigation of the microstructure and durability of a fluidized bed fly ash-metakaolin geopolymer after heat and acid exposure", Mater. Des., 74, 125-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2015.03.009
- Fernandez-Jimenez, A., Garcia-Lodeiro, I. and Palomo, A. (2007), "Durability of alkali-activated fly ash cementitious materials", J. Mater. Sci., 42(9), 3055-3065. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-006-0584-8
- Garcia-Lodeiro, I., Palomo, A. and Fernandez-Jimenez, A. (2007), "Alkali-aggregate reaction in activated fly ash systems", Cement Concrete Res., 37(2), 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2006.11.002
- Green, J. (2015), "Global demand for cement to reach 5.2 billiont".
- Ganesan, N., Indira, P.V. and Santhakumar, A. (2013), "Engineering properties of steel fibre reinforced geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 1(4), 305-318. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc2013.1.4.305
- Hardjito, D. (2005), "Studies of fly ash-based geopolymer concrete", Ph.D. Dissertation, Curtin University of Technology, Australia.
- Hardjito, D., Wallah, S.E. and Rangan, B.V. (2002), "Research into engineering properties of geopolymer concrete", Proceedings of the International Conference on 'Geopolymer 2002-tur potential into profit‟, Melbourne, Australia, October.
- Jain, A.K. (2016), Status of Availability, Utilization and Potential of Fly Ash Use in Construction, UltraTech Cement Ltd.
- Jindal, B.B., Anand, A. and Badal, A. (2016), "Development of high strength fly ash based geopolymer concrete with alccofine", IOSR J. Mech. Civ. Eng., 55-58.
- Junaid, M.T., Kayali, O., Khennane, A. and Black, J. (2015), "A mix design procedure for low calcium alkali activated fly ash-based concretes", Constr. Build. Mater., 79, 301-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.01.048
- Kumar, S., Kumar, R. and Mehrotra, S.P. (2010), "Influence of granulated blast furnace slag on the reaction, structure and properties of fly ash based geopolymer", J. Mater. Sci., 45(3), 607-615. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-009-3934-5
- Lloyd, N. and Rangan, B.V. (2010), "Geopolymer concrete with fly ash", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies, Ancona, Italy, June.
- Malhotra, V.M. (1999), "Making concrete "greener" with fly ash", Concrete., 21(5), 61-66.
- McLellan, B.C., Williams, R.P., Lay, J., Riessen, A.V. and Corder, G.D. (2011), "Costs and carbon emissions for geopolymer pastes in comparison to ordinary portland cement", J. Clean. Prod., 19(9), 1080-1090. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.02.010
- Mehta, P.K. (2001), "Reducing the environmental impact of concrete", Concrete, 23(10), 61-66.
- Olivia, M. and Nikraz, H.R. (2011), "Strength and water penetrability of fly ash geopolymer concrete", ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 6(7) 70-78.
- Nath, P., Sarker, P.K. and Rangan, V.B. (2015), "Early age properties of low-calcium fly ash geopolymer concrete suitable for ambient curing", Proc. Eng., 125, 601-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2015.11.077
- Neupane, K., Kidd, P., Chalmers, D., Baweja, D. and Shrestha, R. (2016), "Investigation on compressive strength development and drying shrinkage of ambient cured powder-activated geopolymer concretes", Austr. J. Civ. Eng., 14(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/14488353.2015.1092631
- Ozer, I. and Soyer-Uzun, S. (2015), "Relations between the structural characteristics and compressive strength in metakaolin based geopolymers with different molar Si/Al ratios", Ceram., 41(8), 10192-10198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2015.04.125
- Parmar, A., Patel, D.M., Chaudhari, D. and Raol, H. (2014), "Effect of alccofine and fly ash addition on the durability of high performance concrete", J. Eng. Res. Technol., 3(1), 1600-1605.
- Patil, A.A., Chore, H. and Dodeb, P. (2014), "Effect of curing condition on strength of geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(1), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.1.029
- Pawar, M. and Saoji, A. (2013), "Effect of alccofine on self-compacting concrete", J. Eng. Sci., 2(6), 5-9.
- Phoongernkham, T., Maegawa, A., Mishima, N., Hatanaka, S. and Chindaprasirt, P. (2015), "Effects of sodium hydroxide and sodium silicate solutions on compressive and shear bond strengths of FA-GBFS geopolymer", Constr. Build. Mater., 91, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.05.001
- Prabu, B., Shalini, A. and Kumar, J.K. (2014), "Rice husk ash based geopolymer concrete-a review", Chem. Sci. Rev. Lett., 3, 288-294.
- Provis, J.L. and Deventer, J.S.J. (2009), Geopolymers-Structure, Processing, Properties and Industrial Applications, Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Sawston, Cambridge, U.K.
- Puertas F. Martinez-Ramiirez S. lonso, S. and Vazquez, T. (2000), "Alkali-activated fly ash/slag cements: Strength behaviour and hydration products", Cement Concrete Res., 30(10), 1625-1632. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00298-2
- Rangan, B.V., Hardjito, D., Wallah, S.E. and Sumajouw, D.M. (2005), "Studies on fly ash-based geopolymer concrete", Proceedings of the World Congress Geopolymer, Saint Quentin, France.
- Shaikh, F.U. (2014), "Effects of alkali solutions on corrosion durability of geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(2), 109-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.2.109
- Sharma, C. and Jindal, B.B. (2015), "Effect of variation of fly ash on the compressive strength of fly ash based geopolymer concrete", IOSR J. Mech. Civ. Eng., 42-44.
- Singh, B., Ishwarya, G., Gupta, M. and Bhattacharyya, S.K. (2015), "Geopolymer concrete: A review of some recent developments", Constr. Build. Mater., 85, 78-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.036
- Slaty, F., Khoury, H., Rahier, H. and Wastiels, J. (2015), "Durability of alkali activated cement produced from kaolinitic clay", Appl. Clay Sci., 104, 229-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2014.11.037
- Suresh, G.P. and Kumar, M. (2013), "Factors influencing compressive strength of geopolymer concrete", J. Res. Eng. Technol., 372-375.
- Wallah, S. and Rangan, B.V. (2006), "Low-calcium fly ash-based geopolymer concrete: Long-term properties", Res. Report-GC2, Curtin University, Australia.
- Xie, T. and Ozbakkaloglu, T. (2015), "Behavior of low-calcium fly ash bottom ash based geopolymer concrete cured at ambient temperature", Ceram., 85, 5945-5958.
- Adak, D., Sarkar, M. and Mandal, S. (2014), "Effect of nano-silica on strength and durability of fly ash based geopolymer mortar", Constr. Build. Mater., 70, 453-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.07.093
- Predicting Relationship between Mechanical Properties of Low Calcium Fly Ash-Based Geopolymer Concrete vol.76, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/0371750X.2017.1412837