- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
IoT Enabled Smart Emergency LED Exit Sign controller Design using Arduino
- Jung, Joonseok (IDO-LINK Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kwon, Jongman (IDO-LINK Co., Ltd.) ;
- Mfitumukiza, Joseph (Media IT Engineering, Seoul National University, of Science and Tech.) ;
- Jung, Soonho (IoT Research Center, Seoul National Univ. of Science & Tech.) ;
- Lee, Minwoo (Graduate School of Nano IT Design Fusion, Seoul National Univ. of Science & Tech.) ;
- Cha, Jaesang (Graduate School of Nano IT Design Fusion, Seoul National Univ. of Science & Tech.)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.03.13
- Published : 2017.03.31
This paper presents a low cost and flexible IoT enabled smart LED controller using Arduino that is used for emergency exit signs. The Internet of Things (IoT) is become a global network that put together physical objects using network communications for the purpose of inter-communication of devices, access information on internet, interaction with users as well as permanent connected environment. A crucial point in this paper, is underlined on the potential key points of applying the Arduino platform as low cost, easy to use microcontroller with combination of various sensors applied in IoT technology to facilitate and establishment of intelligent products. To demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of the system, devices such as LED strip, combination of various sensors, Arduino, power plug and ZigBee module have been integrated to setup smart emergency exit sign system. The general concept of the proposed system design discussed in this paper is all about the combination of various sensor such as smoke detector sensor, humidity, temperature sensor, glass break sensors as well as camera sensor that are connected to the main controller (Arduino) for the purpose of communicating with LED exit signs displayer and dedicated PC monitors from integrated system monitoring (controller room) through gateway devices using Zig bee module. A critical appraisal of the approach in the area concludes the paper.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- P. M. Weinspach et al., Analysis of the Fire on April 11th, 1996. Recommendations and Consequences for Dusseldorf Rhein-Ruhr Airport (Dusseldorf, Germany: Staatskanzlei Nordrhein-Wstfalen, 1997).B. Sklar, Digital Communications, Prentice Hall, pp. 187, 1998.
- H. Xie et al , "Experimental Analysis of the Effectiveness of Emergency Signage and Its Implementation in Evacuation Simulation," Fire and Materials, 36, no 56 2012 : 367-382, doi:10.1002/fam.1095.
- Han, K., A Study of Acetic Acid Formation in Escherichia coli Fermentation, Ph.D. Thesis. University of California, Irvine, CA, USA. 2010.
- Sanders, E E. B. -N. and Stappers, P. J. (2008) Co-creation and the new landscapes of design, CoDesign, 4:1, pp 5-18. https://doi.org/10.1080/15710880701875068
- E Galea, H Xie, and P J Lawrence, P J , "Experimental and Survey Studies on the Effectiveness of Dynamic Signage Systems," Fire Safety Science 11 2014 : 1129-1143, doi:10.3801/IAFSS.FSS.11-1129.
- S Alletto et al , "An indoor location-aware system for an IoT- ased smart museum," IEEE Internet hings J , vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 244-253, Apr. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2015.2506258
- Wen-Tsai Sung, Jia-Syun Lin, "Design and Implementation of smart LED Lighting System Using a Self Adaptive Weighted Data Fusion Algorithm" Sensors 2013, 13, 16915-16939; doi:10.3390/s131216915.
- Ding, Y.S.; Jin, Y.L.; Ren, L.H.; Hao, K.R. An intelligent self-organization scheme for the internet of things. IEEE Comput. Intell. Mag. 2013, 8, 41-53. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCI.2013.2264251
- Park, W.-K.; Han, I.; Park, K.-R. ZigBee based dynamic control scheme for multiple legacy IR controllable digital consumer devices. IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron. 2007, 53, 172-177. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2007.339521
- McClintock et al , "A Behavioural Solution to the Learned Irrelevance of Emergency Exit Signage," in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Human Behaviour in Fire (London: Interscience Communications Ltd, 2001), 23-33.
- Edwin R. Galea, Hui Xie, Peter Lawrence, "Intelligent Active Dynamic Signage System: Bringing the Humble Emergency Exit Sign into the 21st Century", 012016 ISSUEN0.3, an official publication of SFPE
- W. Grosshandler et al., Report of the Technical Investigation of the Station Nightclub Fire, NIST NCSTAR 2: Vols. I-II (Gaithersburg, MD: National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2005).
- Thomas, C.; Balakrishnan, N. "Improvement in intrusion detection with advances in sensor fusion". IEEE Trans. Inf. Forensics Sec. 2009, 4, 542-551. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2009.2026954
- A. ElShafee and K. A. Hamed, "Design and Implementation of a WiFi Based Home Automation System," World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, pp. 2123-2170, 2012.