- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Cognitive Impairment of the Seniors using Senior Center
경로당 이용 노인의 인지기능장애 영향요인
- Lee, Sun Young (Department of Nursing Gongju National University) ;
- Kim, Yunyoung (Department of Nursing Andong National University)
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.03.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the degree of cognitive impairment for the elders taking part in activities at senior community center and to identify the multiple factors affecting the cognitive dysfunction of them. Data were collected for the 375 elders taking part in activities at senior community center at 4 different areas of dong, up, and myun of C-city from June 2016 to July 2016, and their general characteristics as well as health-related characteristics, depression, and cognitive dysfunction were investigated and analyzed. The results of this study showed that cognitive dysfunction was affected by the age, education, economic support, history of stroke, and exercise. The risk of cognitive dysfunction was 3.50 times higher in patients over 80 years old than patients below 74 years old(p=.002), and the lower the level of education showed the higher the risk of cognitive dysfunction(p=.036)(p<.001). In addition, the risk of cognitive dysfunction was low in the absence of a history of stroke(p=.033), and the risk of cognitive dysfunction increased by 1.84 times if they do not exercise(p=.044). Based on the present study, It is required to consider the risk factors for cognitive dysfunction efforts to prevent and manage cognitive impairment before the onset of cognitive dysfunction.
Senior Center;Seniors;Cognitive Impairment;Health;Convergence
Supported by : 공주대학교
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Prevalence survey of dementia, 2012.
- J. K. Park, "Convergence factors among their physical state, function and activities influencing on the cognition of elderly residents in a community", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 153-162.
- J. W. Lee, "Converged Factors Influencing Depression of Community Dwelling Elderly", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 237-246.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Nationwide study on the prevalence of dementia in Korean elders, 2008.
- S. O. Seo, A. Y. So, "Depression and cognitive function of the community-dwelling elderly", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 2016. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.1.1
- I. O. Kang, K. H. Kim, S. R. Seo, C. Y. Park, Y. G. Lee, S. J. Choi, S. Y. Lee, "Analysis of the socio-economic costs of patients with dementia during the past 1 year", National Health Insurance Corporation, 2005.
- H. C. Hendrie, M. S. Albert, M. A. Butters, S. Gao, D. S. Knopman, L. J. Launer, K. Yaffe, B. N. Cuthbert, E. Edwards, M. V. Wagster, "The NIH cognitive and emotional health project", The Journal of The Alzheimer's Association, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 12-32, 2006.
- E. J. Kim, "Factors Influencing Cognitive Impairment of the Elderly Residents", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 16. No. 2, pp. 122-130, 2010.
- E. H. Ha, K. S. Park, "Factors Influencing Cognitive Impairment in Elders with Dementia Living at Home", Journal Korean Academy of Fundamantals of Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 317-327, 2011.
- M. H. Kim, "The level of cognitive function and depression, and the risk factors of cognitive impairment in the community dwelling elderly", Journal of Korean Living Environment System, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 784-792, 2010.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, The current status of welfare facilities for the elderly, 2012.
- K. W. Kim, M. H. Kim, B. J. Kim, J. R. Kim, T. H. Kim, S. W. Moon, "Standardization of dementia diagnosis tool, Research Report", Seongnam: Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Report No. 11-1351000-000589-01, 2009.
- J. A. Yesavage, J. I. Sheikh, "Geriatric depression scale(GDS) - Recent Evidence and Development of a Shorter Version", Clinical Gerontologist, Vol. 5, No. 1-2, pp. 165-173, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1300/J018v05n01_09
- M. J. Cho, J. N. Bae, G. H. Suh, B. J. Hahm, J. K. Kim, D. W. Lee, M. H. Kang, "Validation of Geriatric Depression Scale, Korean Version(GDS) in the Assessment of DSM-III-R Major Depression", Psychiatry Investing, Vol. 38. No. 1, pp. 48-63, 1999.
- Y. H. Kang, S. A. Whang, K. J. Park, "Reversion to normal cognition and its correlates among the community-dwelling elderly with mild cognitive impairment: the longitudinal cohort study, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 656-664, 2015.
- S. K. Chu, H. J. Choi, J. H. Yoo, "A study on the relationship between depression and cognition in the community female aged", Journal of East-Wast Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 131-137, 2010.
- M. H. Park, M. R. Sung, S. K. Kim, D. Y. Lee, "Comparison of Demographic Characteristics, Comorbidity, and Health Habits of Older Adults with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Older Adults with Normal Cognitive Function", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 351-360, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.4.351
- Y. E. Geda, R. O. Roberts, D. S. Knopman, R. C. Petersen, T. J. Christianson, V. S. Pankratz, G. E. Smith, B. F. Boeve, R. J. Ivnik, E. G. Tangalos, W. A. Rocca, "Prevalence of Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Mild Cognitive Impairment and Normal Cognitive Aging: Population-Based Study", Archives of General Psychiatry, Vol. 65, No. 10, pp. 1193-1198, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.65.10.1193
- S. M. Lee, J. E. Burning, N. R. Cook, F. Grodstein, "The relation of education and income to cognitive function among professional women", Neuropidemiology, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 93-101. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1159/000090254
- K. Anstey, H. Christensen, "Education, activity, health, blood pressure and apolipoprotein E as predictors of cognitive change in old age", Gerontology, Vol. 46, pp. 163-177, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1159/000022153
- C. S. Rim, K. H. Kim, M. S. Kim, K. H. Lee, I. S. Lee, "A study on current status and future aspects of the senior citizen halls in seoul", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 31, pp. 313-344, 2006.
- S. H. Yoo, "Exploring Ways Toward Development of Kyungrodang: Focusing on the Characteristics of the Elderly Based on the Types of Kyungrodang Participation", Journal of thd Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1463-1478, 2009.
- L. R. French, L. M. Schuman, J. A. Mortimer, J. T. Hutton, R, A. Boatman, B. Christians, "A case-control study of dementia of the Alzheimer type", American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 121, No. 3, pp. 414-421, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114013
- R. D. Abbott, L. R. White, G. W. Ross, K. H. Masaki, J. D. Curb, H. Petrovich, "Walking and Dementia in physically capable elderly men", JAMA, Vol. 292, No. 12, pp. 1447-1453, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.292.12.1447
- E. B. Larson, L. Wang, J. D. Bowen, W. C. MaCormick, L. Teri, P. Crane, W. Kukull. "Exercise is associated with reduced risk for incident dementia among persons 65years of age and older", Annals of Internal Medicine, Vol. 144, No. 2, pp. 73-81, 2006. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-144-2-200601170-00004
- S. Y. Um, Y. S. Kwak, S. S. Kim, "The effects of regular exercise on cognitive function & exercise capacity in patient with senile dementia", Korean Journal of Sport Science, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 691-697, 2004.
- M. J. Kwon, "Convergence Study on the Relation between Cognition, Depression and Aggression in the Elderly, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 171-176.
- Y. Forsell, B. Winblad, Major depression in a population of demented and nondemented older people: prevalence and correlates, Journal of American Geriatrics Society, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 37-30, 1994.
- S. Gauthier. P. Scheltens, J. L. Cummings, Alzheimer's disease and related disorders annual, London, MartinDunitz, pp. 71-79, 2004.
- M. O. Gu, Y. Eun, E. S. Kim, H. R. Ahn, I. S. Kwon, H. S. Oh, Y. S. Kang, M. S. Jung, S. Y. Choi, K. M. Sung, H. Y. Kang, "Effect of an elder health promotion program using the strategy of elder health leader training in senior citizen halls", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 125-135, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.125