- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Convergence Relationships among Body-esteem, Obesity Stress, Self-esteem, Weight Control Behavior in High School Girls
여고생의 신체존중감, 비만스트레스, 자아존중감, 체중조절행위의 융복합적 관계 연구
- Yang, Seung-Kyoung (Graduate Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Ha, Yeong-Mi (College of Nursing & Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jung, Mi-Ra (Department of Nursing, Hanyeong College)
- Received : 2016.10.25
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.03.28
The purpose of this study was to examine relationships among body-esteem, obesity stress, self-esteem and weight control behavior in high school girls. The descriptive correlational study design was used. The data were collected by Self-reported questionnaires from 135 high school girls in the two high school located B and J city. There was except for none weight control behavior or actual BMI was identified with a low body weight. The collected data were analyzed using t-test, one way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient in SPSS statistics 20.0 program. As results of examining the correlation, body-esteem(r=-.18, p<.05), obesity stress(r=-.39, p<.001), self-esteem(r=-.32, p<.001) were related to their unhealthy weight control behavior in high school girls. Based on the results of this study, it is necessary to be considered body-esteem, obesity stress, self-esteem variables during development convergence programs to attract the healthy weight control behaviors in high school girls.
Body-esteem;Obesity;Stress;Self-esteem;Body weight;High school girls
- World Health Organization, Fact and figures on childhood obesity. 2014. DOI: http://www.who.int/end-childhood-obesity/facts/en/
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The tenth korean youth risk behavior web-based survey(KYRBWS): 2015 results.
- S. W. Oh, "Diagnostic criteria for childhood obesity." Journal of Korean Society for Study of Obesity, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 188-190, 2008.
- C. Thogersen-Ntoumani, N. Ntoumanis, N. Nikitaras, "Unhealthy weight control behaviours in adolescent girls: a process model based on self-determination theory." Psychology and Health, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 535-550, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870440902783628
- E. J. Kim, B. K. Cha, "Weight control behaviors in female college student." Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 320-326, 2007.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Wall, M. Story, and A. R. Standish, "Dieting and unhealthy weight control behaviors during adolescence: Associations with 10-year changes in body mass index." The Journal of Adolescent Health, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 80-86, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.05.010
- W. O. Lee, Y. Y. Hwang, "A Study on high school girls' obesity, attitudes, towards body and weight control." Youth Facility and Environment, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 3-11, 2009.
- S. M. Jourard, P. F. Secord, "Body size and body-cathexis." Journal of Consulting Psychology, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 184, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0063192
- P. Gual, M. Perez‐Gaspar, M. A. Martínez‐Gonzalez, F. Lahortiga, J. de Irala-Estevez, S. Cervera-Enguix, "Self‐esteem, personality, and eating disorders: Baseline assessment of a prospective population based cohort." International Journal of Eating Disorders, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 261-273, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/eat.10040
- M. S. Kim, "Comparison of dietary self-efficacy, obesity stress, and obesity-related quality of life according to BMI and Stages of change in vegetable consumption for nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 65-74, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.65
- B. Y. Choi, M. O. Choi, "The surver for body shape recognition fatness knowledge and fatness stress of college woman." Journal of Korean Society cosmetology, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1051-1064, 2008.
- M. Rosengerg, 1989. Society and the adolescent self-image. Middletown: Wesleyan University Press.
- P. Bodiba, "The relationship between body mass index and self-concept among adolescent black female university students." Curationis, Vol. 31, No. 1 pp. 77-84, 2008.
- M. K. Kim, "Relationship on depression and suicide ideation of university students the mediating effects of negative emotion and social adaptation." Youth Studies Research, Vol. 18, No. 12, pp. 101-129, 2011.
- E. H. Park, H. R. Park, "Convergence relationship between self-esteem and obesity stress among women in korea." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 479-487, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.479
- E. S. Her, H. J. Kang, K. H. Lee, "The factors associated with weight control experiences among adolescents-Based on self-esteem, body-cathexis, attitudes toward the body, anthropometric characteristics and perceptions of body shape." Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 658-666, 2003.
- H. J. Kim, H. S. Jang, "Comparison between body perception, attitude on weight-control and self-esteem according to the weight group of high school students in daegu." Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Assocation, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 1-22, 2009.
- B. K. Mendelson, D. R. White, "Relation between body-esteem and self-esteem of obese and normal children." Perceptual and Motor Skills, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 899-905, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19188.8.131.529
- G. S. Jo, "The relationship of body esteem of adolescent, psygical charm, wrench of body esteem and self esteem. Master thesis, Pusan National University, 1992.
- Y. K. Jung, Y. S. Tae, "Factors affecting body weight control behavior of female college students." Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 545-555, 2004.
- D. I. Ben-Tovim, M. K. Waker, "The development of the Ben-Tovim Walker Body Attitudes Questionnaire (BAQ), a new measure of women's attitudes towards their own bodies." Psychological Medicine, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 775-859, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700022406
- S. J. Cho, C. K. Kim, "The effect of female students' obese level and weight control behavior and attitudes on stress." The Journal of Korean Society for Health Education, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 1-16, 1997.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and Adolescent Self-Image. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton University Press.
- Y. M. Ha, E. S. Choi, Y. M. Seo, T. G. Kim, "Relationships among subjective social status, weight perception, weight control behaviors, and weight wtatus in adolescents: findings from the 2009 korea youth risk behaviors web‐based survey." Journal of School Health, Vol. 83, No. 4, pp. 273-280, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12027
- D. N. Oh, E. M. Kim, S. H. Kim, "Weight control behaviors and correlates in korean adolescents." Journal of Korea Content, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 218-228, 2013.
- S. H. Kim, O. H. Lee, H. S. Lee, J. Y. Jo, "Nutrition and exercies.", Seoul: Power book, 2007.
- A. Whitaker, M. Davies, D. Shaffer, J. Johnson, S. Abrams, B. T. Walsh, K. Kalikow, "The struggle to be thin: a survey of anorexic and bulimic symptoms in a non-referred adolescent population." Psychological Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 143-163, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700011107
- J. E. Lee, S. Y. Auh, I. K. Jung, J. H. Kim, "The effects of body appearance satisfaction and self-esteem on the perceived obesity stress in adolescence in Seoul area: A latent model test." Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 105-116, 2012.
- J. I. Kim, "Predictors of weight control behavior according to college students' BMI, perception of body shape, obesity stress, and self esteem." Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 438-448, 2016.
- H. J. Lee, "Influence on in-dorm university students' body-shape perception, obesity, and weight control toward Obesity stress." Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 573-583, 2013.
- D. H. Nam, "The measures of agreement between the classification standard of BMI and that of CDRS in women university students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 519-527, 2016.
- H. O. Jeon, "Relations of Self-assertiveness, Self-esteem, Depression and Abnormal Eating Attitudes among Female University Students with Weight Control Experience." Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 2207-2216, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2207
- S. Hater, "Causes and consequences of low self-esteem in children and adolescents. In R. F. Baumeister(Ed.), Self-esteem pp.87-116, New York: Springer. 1993.
- J. Y. Lee, J. P. Y, "Influence of body shape perception on self-esteem among normal-weight middle school students in south korea : The mediating effect of body shape satisfaction and gender differences." Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 267-297, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14816/sky.2015.26.4.267
- S. J. Nam, J. H. Park, "Adolescents' satisfaction of body and self-esteem according to obesity and subjective perception of body: verification of moderating effect of sex." The Korean Journal of Obesity, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 251-253, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2013.22.4.251
- Y. J. Kim, " A study on the concern about weight control and the self-esteem depending on obesity perceived type in adolescents." Master thesis, Chonnam National University, 2008.
- H. Y. Yang, Y. S. Byeon, "Weight control behavior in women college students and factors influencing behavior." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 190-200, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.190
- M. J. Kim, " BMI, body image, food habit and food attitude in college female students.." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 389-395, 2012.