- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Forecasting of Container Cargo Volumes of China using System Dynamics
System dynamics를 이용한 중국 컨테이너 물동량 예측에 관한 연구
- Kim, Hyung-Ho (Dept. of Information & Logistics, Sehan University) ;
- Jeon, Jun-woo (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon University) ;
- Yeo, Gi-Tae (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon University)
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.03.28
Forecasting container cargo volumes is very important factor for port related organizations in inversting in the recent port management. Especially forcasting of domestic and foreign container volume is necessary because adjacent nations are competing each other to handle more container cargoes. Exact forecasting is essential elements for national port policy, however there is still some difficulty in developing the predictive model. In this respect, the purpose of this study is to develop and suggest the forecasting model of container cargo volumes of China using System Dynamics (SD). The monthly data collected from Clarkson's Shipping Intelligence Network from year 2004 to 2015 during 12 years are used in the model. The accuracy of the model was tested by comparisons between actual container cargo volumes and forecasted corgo volumes suggested by the research model. The MAPE values are calcualted as 6.21% for imported cargo volumes and 7.68% for exported cargo volumes respectively. Less than 10% of MAPE value means that the suggested model is very accurate.
China;Container cargo volume;Forecasting container cargo;System dynamics;Simulation
Supported by : 세한대학교
- Guo, Z., Song, X., and Ye, J. (2005). "A Verhulst model on time series error corrected for port throughput forecasting". Journal of the Eastern Asia society for Transportation studies, Vol. 6, pp. 881-89, 2005.
- Lewis, C. D, "Industrial and business forecasting methods: A practical guide to exponential smoothing and curve fitting", Butterworth-Heinemann, 1982.
- Li, K., Sun, C., and Yang, J, " The Combination Forecasting of Nanchang Port's Cargo Throughput. In Management and Service Science", MASS'09. International Conference on, pp. 1-4, 2009.
- Liu, S., Na, L., Yang, X., Jie, J., Han, S., and Zhe, J, "Research on Electricity Demand Forecasting Method based on System Dynamics with Electricity Market Reform. DEStech Transactions on Environment", Energy and Earth Science, 2016.
- Seabrooke, W., Hui, E. C., Lam, W. H., & Wong, G. K, "Forecasting cargo growth and regional role of the port of Hong Kong", Cities, Vol. 20 No. 1, pp. 51-64, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0264-2751(02)00097-5
- Shibasaki, R., Watanabe, T, "Future Forecast of Trade Amount and International Cargo Flow in the APEC Region: An Application of Trade-Logistics Forecasting Model". Asian Transport Studies, Vol. 2 No. 2, pp. 194-208, 2012.
- Sterman, J. D, siness dynamics: systems thinking and modeling for a complex world (No. HD30. 2 S7835 2000), 2000.
- Sterman, J. D, "System dynamics modeling: tools for learning in a complex world.", California management review, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 8-25. 2001.
- Xie, G., Wang, S., Zhao, Y., and Lai, K. K, "Hybrid approaches based on LSSVR model for container throughput forecasting: a comparative study". Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 13 No. 5, pp. 2232-2241, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2013.02.002
- Grant, W. E., Pedersen, E. K., and Marín, S. L. (1997). Ecology and natural resource management: systems analysis and simulation. John Wiley & Sons.
- G. S. An, Y. K. Koh, and J. H. Noh, "Forecasting Cargo Traffic of Zarubino Port with O/Ds of Jilin Sheng in China", International Commerce and Information Review, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 81-105, 2016.
- Jin-Ho Jeon, Min-soo Kim, "Determination of Pattern Models using a Convergence of Time-Series Data Conversion Technique for the Prediction of Financial Markets", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13 No. 5, pp. 237-244, 2015.
- Inkyu Kim, "Prediction for Nonlinear Time Series Data using Neural Network", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10 No. 9, pp. 357-362, 2012.
- Abd-Elaal, A. K., Hefny, H. A., and Abd-Elwahab, A. H, "Forecasting of egypt wheat imports using multivariate fuzzy time series model based on fuzzy clustering", IAENG International Journal of Computer Science, Vol. 40 No. 4, pp. 230-237, 2013.
- C. B. Kim, "Forecasting the Seaborne Trade Volume using Intervention Multiplicative Seasonal ARIMA and Artificial Neural Network Mode", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 69-84, 2015.
- Min-Gu Song, Sun-Bae Kim, "A Study of improving reliability on prediction model by analyzing method Big data", The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11 No. 6, pp. 103-112, 2013.
- Jun-Yeon Lee, "Forecasting the Time-Series Data Converged on Time PLOT and Moving Average", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6 No. 4, pp. 161-167, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.161