- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Affective Valence, Perceived Self-Relevance, and Visual Attention on Attitudes toward PSA's Issues: Moderated Mediation of Digital EEG Arousal
공익캠페인의 정서성, 자아관련성, 시각적 주의가 캠페인 태도에 미치는 영향: 디지털 뇌파(EEG) 기반 각성의 조절된 매개효과
- Yang, Byung-hwa (Dept. of Psychology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Jo, A-young (Dept. of Psychology, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2017.01.24
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.03.28
This study examined the conditional indirect effect of EEG (electroencephalogram) arousal on the relationship among affective valence, visual attention, perceived self-relevance, and attitudes toward campaign issues in the context of public service announcements (PSAs). Using SPSS macro (No. 14) of conditional process model, the findings in this current study indicated that the perceived self-relevance mediates the relationship between affective valence of PSA and attitudes toward issues and, in turn, is moderated by EEG arousal, indicating goodness-of-fit of the moderated mediation of psychophysiological arousal on PSAs. The results suggested that management of PSAs should be considered the strategic combination between affective valence and perceived self-relevance in advertising appeals.
PSAs;Affective valence;Visual attention;Perceived self-relevance;EEG arousal;Moderated mediation model
Supported by : 교육부, 한국연구재단
- V. Cauberghe, P. De Pelsmacker, W. Janssens and N. Dens, "Fear, threat and efficacy in threat appeals: Message involvement as a key mediator to message acceptance", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 276-285, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2008.11.006
- P. M. Herr, C. M. Page, B. E. Pfeiffer and D. F. Davis, "Affective Influences on evaluative processing", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 833-845, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1086/660844
- S. Shapiro, D. J. MacInnis and C. W. Park, "Understanding program-induced mood effects: Decoupling arousal from valence", Journal of Advertising, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 15-26, 2002.
- J. P. Forgas, "Mood and judgment: The affect infusion model (AIM)", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 117, No. 1, pp. 39-66, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.117.1.39
- A. O'cass and D. Griffin, "Antecedents and consequences of social issue advertising believability", Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 12, pp. 87-104, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1300/J054v15n01_05
- G. Noble and A. Pomering, "Gender and message appeal: Their influence in a pro-environmental social advertising context", Journal of Social Marketing, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 4-21, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSOCM-12-2012-0049
- I. G. Shin and Y. S. Choi, "Study on the effects of storytelling advertising", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 541-556, 2014.
- G. G. Kim and H. O. Do, "Holistic thinkers' attitude toward the emotional ads.: focused on hotel brands' extension ads.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 179-189, 2012.
- N. Schwarz and G. L. Clore, "Mood as information: 20 years later", Psychological Inquiry, Vol. 14, No. 3-4, pp. 296-303, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1403&4_20
- M. T. Banich, "Cognitive neuroscience and neuropsychology". Boston : Houghton Mifflin Co., 2004.
- S. W. Kim and H. C. Kim, "The relationship between EEG prefrontal asymmetry and emotion following exercise deprivation in people with exercise addiction", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 521-534, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.521
- G. Gorn, M. T. Pham and L. Y. Sin, "When arousal influences ad evaluation and valence does not (and vice versa)", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 43-56, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP1101_4
- V. Venkatraman, J. W. Payne and S. A. Huettel, "An overall probability of winning heuristic for complex risky decisions: Choice and eye fixation evidence", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 125, No. 2, pp. 73-87, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2014.06.003
- R. L. Celsi and J. C. Olson, "The role of involvement in attention and comprehension processes", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 210-224, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1086/209158
- W. S. Jung and J. Villegas, "The effects of message framing, involvement, and nicotine dependence on anti-smoking public service announcements", Health Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 219-231, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/07359683.2011.595641
- I. M. Lewis, B. Watson and K. M. White, "Response efficacy: The key to minimizing rejection and maximizing acceptance of emotion-based anti-speeding messages", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 459-467, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.09.008
- Z. Wang, A. C. Morey and J. Srivastava, "Motivated selective attention during political ad processing: The dynamic interplay between emotional ad content and candidate evaluation", Communication Research, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 119-156, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650212441793
- S. D. Bradley, J. R. Angelini and S. Lee, "Psychophysiological and memory effects of negative political ads aversive, arousing, and well remembered", Journal of Advertising, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 115-128, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367360409
- V. C. Broach and T. J. Page, "Television programming and its influence on viewers' perceptions of commercials: The role of program arousal and pleasantness", Journal of Advertising, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 45-54, 1995.
- J. D. Jensen, A. J. King, N. Carcioppolo and L. Davis, "Why are tailored messages more effective? A multiple mediation analysis of a breast cancer screening intervention", Journal of Communication, Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 851-868, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2012.01668.x
- M. Hota, R. C. Caceres and A. Cousin, "Can public-service advertising change children's nutrition habits? The impact of relevance and familiarity", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 460-475, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2501/S0021849910091610
- X. Nan, "Emotional responses to televised PSAs and their influence on persuasion: An investigation of the moderating role of faith in intuition", Communication Studies, Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 426-442, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/10510970903260236
- SMI, "iView XTM system manual (ver. 2.8)". Boston: SensoMotoric Instruments GmbH, 2011.
- X. M. Cohen, "Analyzing neural time series data: theory and practice". London: MIT Press, 2014.
- A. F. Hayes, "An index and test of linear moderated mediation". Multivariate Behavioral Research, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 1-22, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2014.962683
- S. W. Shin, M. Y. Shin, Y. S. Jung and J. H. Lee, "An Investigation of Social Commerce Service Quality on Consumer's Satisfaction", Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 27-32, 2015.