- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Multidimensional Effects of Learning Motives and Autonomy on Job Creativity and School Satisfaction of Vocational College Students
직업전문학교 재학생의 학습동기와 학습 자율성이 직무창의성과 만족도에 미치는 복합적 영향
- Lee, Chull-Young (Dept. of Advertising & PR, Graduate School, Hongik University) ;
- Lee, So-Young (Dept. of Bakery, Korea Vocational College of Information & Technology)
- Received : 2016.12.27
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.03.28
The purpose of the study is to explore the relationship among learning motive, job creativity, major satisfaction and school satisfaction of enrolled students in 2 vocational schools in Seoul. Hypotheses based on the relevant literature are tested. Job creativity was found to be positively influenced by learning motives and autonomy. Intrinsic learning motive and autonomy affect student's major satisfaction, but extrinsic learning motive was found to have negative effects on major satisfaction as autonomy trait was irrelevant to school satisfaction. Vocational college programs offer mainly technical and on-the-job training unlike general colleges. Thus, students are psychologically sensitive to school programs and multidisciplinary approach is needed.
Job Creativity;Learning Motive;Autonomy;Major Satisfaction;School Satisfaction
- Ah-Young Kim, "Validation of taxonomy of academic Motivation based on the self-determination theory." The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp.169-187. 2002.
- Chong-Hee Lee & Bu-Mi Kim, "Instrument Development and Analysis for Mathematical Learning Motivation and Causal Attribution." Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.413-444, 2010.
- Lepper, M. R., Keavney, M., & Drake, M, "Intrinsic motivation and extrinsic rewards: A commentary on Cameron and Pierce's meta-analysis." Review of Educational Research, Vol. 66, No. 1, pp.5-32. 1996. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543066001005
- Kohn, A, "By all available means; Cameron and Pierce's defense of extrinsic motivators." Review of Educational Research, Vol. 66, No. 1, pp.1-4, 1996. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543066001001
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M, "When paradigms clash: Comments on Cameron and Pierce's claim that rewards do not undermine intrinsic motivation." Review of Educational Research, Vol.66, No. 1, pp. 33-38, 1996. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543066001033
- Ryan, R. M, "Control and information in the intra personal sphere : An extension of cognitive evaluation theory." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 450-461, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.520
- Hackman, J. R., & Oldham, G. R, "Motivation through the design of work: Test of a theory." Organizational behavior and human performance, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 250-279, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(76)90016-7
- Morris, J. A., & Feldman, D. C, "The dimensions, antecedents, and consequences of emotional labor." Academy of management review, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 986-1010, 1996. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071861
- Spreitzer, G. M, "Social structural characteristics of psychological empowerment." Academy of management journal, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 483-504, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/256789
- Amabile, T. M., Conti, R., Coon, H., Lazenby, J., & Herron, M, "Assessing the work environment for creativity." Academy of management journal, Vol. 39, No. 5, pp. 1154-1184, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/256995
- Campion, M. A, "Interdisciplinary approaches to job design: A constructive replication with extensions." Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 73, No. 3, p. 467, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.73.3.467
- Spreitzer, G. M., Kizilos, M. A., & Nason, S. W, "A dimensional analysis of the relationship between psychological empowerment and effectiveness satisfaction, and strain." Journal of management, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 679-704, 1997.
- Campbell, D. J., & Gingrich, K. F, "The interactive effects of task complexity and participation on task performance: A field experiment." Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 162-180, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(86)90014-2
- Bailyn, L, "Autonomy in the industrial R&D lab." Human Resource Management, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 129-146, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.3930240204
- West, M. J., & King, A. P, "Social guidance of vocal learning by female cowbirds: validating its functional significance." Zeitschrift für Tierpsychologie, Vol. 70, No. 3, pp. 225-235, 1985.
- Pelz, D. C., & Andrews, F. M, "Autonomy, coordination, and stimulation, in relation to scientific achievement." Behavioral Science, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 89-97, 1966. https://doi.org/10.1002/bs.3830110202
- West, K. D, "A specification test for speculative bubbles." The Quarterly Journal of Economics, August, pp. 553-580, 1987.
- Zhou, J, "Feedback valence, feedback style, task autonomy, and achievement orientation: Interactive effects on creative performance." Journal of applied Psychology, Vol. 83, No. 3, pp. 261-276, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.2.261
- Byeong-Sik Song, "Mediators Effect of Creativity between Job Characteristics and Innovation Behavior." Korea Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp.1483-1503, 2005.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M, "Society, culture, and person: A systems view of creativity. NY: Cambridge University Press", 1988.
- Amabile, T, "Creativity in context. West view press", 1996.
- Seong-Qwi Jeong, "The Effects of Secretaries' Empowerment on Creativity and Job Satisfaction." Journal of Secretarial Studies, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.51-73, 2006.
- Caudron, S, "Contingent work force spurs HR planning. Personnel Journal", 1994.
- Braskamp, L. A., Wise, S. L., & Hengstler, D. D, "Student satisfaction as a measure of departmental quality." Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 71, No. 4, p. 494, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2064
- Elliott, K. M., & Shin, D, "Student satisfaction: An alternative approach to assessing this important concept." Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 197-209, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/1360080022000013518
- Yae-jung Han, Jonh-Ho Lee, "Astudy on Major Satisfaction and Career Maturity according to the Values of College Students-Majoring in Food Management and Culinary Arts-." Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 76-92, 2013. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2013.19.5.007007007
- Joo Hee, Hyung-Ryong Lee, "The Effect of Hotel Employee' Perceived Self-Leadership on Innovative Behavior: The Moderating Role of Motivation." Korean Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp.17-36, 2012.
- Myung-Hee Lee, Ah-Young Kim, "Development and Construct Validatiion of the Basic Psychological Needs Scale for Korean Adolescents: Based on the Self-Determination Theory." The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 157-174, 2008.
- Yoon-Sun Eu, Hyung-Ryong Lee, "A Study on Relationships of Food Service Emotional Intelligence, Creativity, Organizational Commitment: Focused on the moderator of Change-Oriented Organizational Culture." Korean Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp.161-182, 2011.
- Myoung-Hee Yang, "A Review of the Research on Noncompliant Behaviors of Children with the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders." Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp.1-27, 2010.
- Yong-Ki Lee. Byung-Jip Jang & Young-Kyun Park, "The Effects of University's Environments on Overall Service Quality, Service Value, and Student Satisfaction in Undergraduate Higher Education." Asia Marketing Journal, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp.77-100, 2002.
- N. S. Seo, S. J. Woo & Y. J. Ha, "The Effects of Self-directed Learning Ability and Motivation on Learning Satisfaction of Nursing Students in Convergence Blended Learning Environment." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp.11-19, 2015.
- Mijung Gwak & Youngmi Kim, "A Study of Influence on Adolescent Physical Well-being - Focusing on Strengths of Family Life and Satisfaction with School Life in the IT-based Society." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 49-57, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.49
- S. K. Lee, K. H. Son, E. K. Kang & Y. H. Kim. "A Study on the Influence of Empowering-Leadership to Creativity and Job Attitude." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 85-99, 2014..
- E. Y. Yoo & Y. J. Yang, "A Study on the Difference among College Students' Department Satisfaction and Career Maturity and the Influence on Career Stress." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp. 557-568, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.557
- Y. K. Kim & J. W. Kim, "Analysis on the Factors Affecting the Education Satisfaction in Social Entrepreneur Academies." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 5, 2013.
- Sang, L., "Evaluation Model of Students' Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Higher Vocational College under Regional Development." Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 687-691, No. 2, pp. 1145-1148, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.687-691.1145
- Lucas, N., "Perspective on Teachers of Vocational and Technical Education in the UK." Technical and Vocational Education and Training, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 251-276, 2007.