- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Customer Satisfaction, Perceived Switching Costs and Regret on Repurchasing Intention: The Case of Coffee Chains
고객 만족, 인지된 전환 비용, 후회가 재구매 의도에 미치는 영향: 커피 전문점 사례를 바탕으로
- Kim, Byoungsoo (School of Business, Yeungnam University)
- 김병수 (영남대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2017.01.31
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.03.28
As the market for coffee chains becomes fierce, it is important for coffee chains to establish an enduring relationship with customers and encourage them to revisit their stores. Thus, it becomes important to understand consumers' repurchase decision-making mechanisms in the context of coffee chains. Customer satisfaction, perceived switching costs, and regret were considered as the main factors of customers' repurchase intentions. Especially, the effect of regret experience of coffee chains on consumers' repurchase decision was examined. In addition, coffee quality, physical environment quality, service encounters performance, and brand trust were considered as attributes of coffee shop selection, and their effects on customer satisfaction and perceived switching cost were investigated. The results of the study showed that customer satisfaction and perceived switching costs had a positive effect on repurchase intention, while regret had a negative effect on repurchase intention. Coffee quality and physical environmental quality had no significant effect on customer satisfaction and perceived conversion cost. Service encounter performance had a significant impact on perceived switching costs alone. Brand trust had a significant impact on both customer satisfaction and perceived switching cost.
Regret;Consumer Satisfaction;Perceived Switching Costs;Service Encounter;Brand Trust
- W. H. Ko and C. P. Chiu, "The relationships between brand attitude, customers' satisfaction and revisiting intentions of the university students-A case study of coffee chain stores in Taiwan", Journal of Foodservice Business Research, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 79-95, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/15378020801926791
- P. T. Chen and H. H. Hu, "How determinant attributes of service quality influence customer perceived value: An empirical investigation of the Australian coffee outlet industry", International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 535-551, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596111011042730
- Y. T. Tu, C. M. Wang and H. C. Chang, "Corporate brand image and customer satisfaction on loyalty: An empirical study of Starbucks coffee in Taiwan", Journal of Social and Development Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 24-32, 2012.
- J. Y. Jung, "The effect of coffee shop selection attributes on revisit intention: Focused on mediating effect of brand trust", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 289-304, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.289
- J. K. Kim, "The effects of switching cost on IPTV user's regret: The negative roles of long-term contracts", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 15, No. 5B, pp. 2825-2839, 2013.
- H. M. Kim, H. B. Kim and S. B. Cha, "The effect of coffee shop selection choice attributes on customer behavioral intention - Moderating effect of preferred type of coffee shop", Tourism Study, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 115-132, 2015.
- M. A. Jones, D. L. Mothersbaugh and S. E. Beatty, "Switching barriers and repurchase intentions in services", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 76, No. 2, pp. 259-274, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00024-5
- S .S. Kim and J. Y. Son, "Out of dedication or constraint? A dual model of post-adoption phenomena and its empirical test in the context of online services", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 49-70, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650278
- B. Kim, "Effects of customer satisfaction and switching costs on customer loyalty in a coffee chain context", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 433-443, 2015.
- D. Keltner and J. S. Lerner, "Beyond valence: toward a model of emotion-specific influences on judgment and choice", Cognition & Emotion, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 473-494, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/026999300402763
- S. Y. Lam, V. Shankar, M. K. Erramilli and B. Murthy, "Customer value, satisfaction, loyalty, and switching costs: An illustration from a business-to-business service context", Journal of Academy Marketing Science, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 293-311, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070304263330
- R. L. Oliver, "Cognitive, affective, and attribute bases of the satisfaction response", Journal of Consumer Research, 20, No. 3, pp. 418-430, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1086/209358
- S. Y. Kang and H. J. Kim, "A study on the effects of family restaurants' service guarantees on Customer loyalty-Focusing on the moderating role of involvement-", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 103-115, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.103
- T. A. Burnham, J. K. Frels and V. Mahajan, "Consumer switching costs: A typology, antecedents, and consequences", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 109-126, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070302250897
- M. Tsiros and V. Mittal, "Regret: a model of its antecedents and consequences in consumer decision making", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 401-417, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1086/209571
- J. J. Inman, J. S. Dyer and J. Jia, "A generalized utility model of disappointment and regret effects on post-choice valuation", Marketing Science, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 97-111, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.16.2.97
- D. E. Bell, "Regret in decision making under uncertainty", Operations Research, Vol. 30, 961-981, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.30.5.961
- B. Kim, W. H. Lee, Y. J. Lee and S. Suh, "The effects of regret on repurchasing intention in social commerce environment", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society", Vol. 14, No. 6B, pp. 3339-3350, 2012.
- N. H. Cho and S. K. Park, "A qualitative study on the post-purchase emotion of 'regret' of fashion product consumers", Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 1-16, 2012.
- A. Parasuraman, L. L. Berry and V. A. Zeithaml, "More on improving service quality measurement", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 69, No. 1, pp. 140-147, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(05)80007-7
- J. Y. Yang, T. H. Kim and S. J. Shin, "The effects of customer satisfaction based on use experience on behavior intention in coffee shops", Tourism Study, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 157-181, 2013.
- M. J. Bitner, "Servicescapes: the impact of physical surroundings on customers and employees", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 57-71, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252042
- K. Ryu, H. R. Lee and W. G. Kim, "The influence of the quality of the physical environment, food, and service on restaurant image, customer perceived value, customer satisfaction, and behavioral intentions", International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 200-223, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596111211206141
- S. J. Kim and H. R. Lee, "The effects of physical environment in coffee shops on customer brand loyalty: with a focus on the comparison between mediating effects of customer satisfaction and emotional responses", Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 609-624, 2011.
- H. J. Lee and J. Y. Suh, "A comparison of local and global coffee shop brands and the effect of their physical environment on customer satisfaction and revisit intention: based on university students in Seoul", Korea Academic Society of Hotel Administration, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 131-147, 2012.
- M. J. Bitner, S. Brown and M. Meuter, "Technology infusion in service encounters", Journal of the Academy of Marketing, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 138-149, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300281013
- J. A. Fitzsimmons and M. J. Fizsimmons, Service Management for Competitive Advantage, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
- H. Han and K. Ryu, "Key factors driving customers' word-of-mouth intentions in full-service restaurants: The moderating role of switching costs", Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 96-109, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/1938965511433599
- S. D. Kim and H. R. Jung, "The effects of perceived service encounters' quality by customers on referral intentions in hotel firms - Focused on mediating effects of customers' satisfaction", Journal of Tourism Management Research, Vol. 49, pp. 23-39, 2011.
- A. Chaudhuri and M. B. Holbrook, "The chain of effects from brand trust and brand affect to brand performance: The role of brand loyalty", Journal of Marketing, 65, No. 2, pp. 81-93, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.188.8.131.5255
- C. Sichtmann, "An analysis of antecedents and consequences of trust in a corporate brand", European Journal of Marketing, 41, No. 9, pp. 999-1015, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560710773318
- G. D. Seo and J. E. Lee, "A study on the effect of consumer lifestyle on brand attitude, brand attachment influence upon brand loyalty", Journal of Digital Convergence, 14, No. 4, pp. 185-192, 2016.
- C. H. Lee, "The influence of coffee shops' brand benefits on brand image, brand trust, and purchase behaviors - Focusing on PPL ADs in TV dramas-",, Kyonggi University, Ph.d Dissertation, 2015.
- A. Bhattacherjee, "Understanding information systems continuance: an expectation-confirmation model", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 351-370, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250921
- D. Li, G. J. Browne and P. Y. K. Chau, "An empirical investigation of web site use using a commitment-based model", Decision Sciences, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 427-444, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5414.2006.00133.x
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin and R. E. Anderson, Multivariate Data Analysis, 7th Edition. London: Prentice Hall, 2009.
- Y. J. Jang, S. B. Cho and W. G. Kim, "Effect of restaurant patrons' regret and disappointment on dissatisfaction and behavioral intention", Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 431-444, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2013.803388
- A. W. Magi, "Share of wallet in retailing: the effects of customer satisfaction loyalty cards and shopper characteristics", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 79, pp, 97-106, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(03)00008-3
- J. Y. Jung, "Consumer's demographic characteristics and effects of coffee consumption motivation on revisit intention of coffee shop", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 15, No. 5B, pp. 2871-2888, 2013.