- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Classification of Car-related Mobile Apps: For App Development from a Convergence Perspective
차량용 모바일 앱의 분류: 융복합 관점의 앱 개발을 위해
- Zhang, Chao (College of Business Administration, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Wan, Lili (College of Business Administration, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Min, Daihwan (Department of Digital Management, Korea University Sejong Campus)
- Received : 2016.12.25
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.03.28
This study selected car-related mobile apps for app developers suffering from low revenue and classified car apps assisting users in driving or managing a car. A total of 697 car apps were classified into eight categories. Most apps are in four categories: car news & information (28%), locating service (23%), car rental service (15%), safe/efficient driving service (12%). The remaining categories are buying & selling, driver's communication, maintenance management, and expenses monitoring. Many apps are simple and too similar in their main functions. Only a few apps are designed to be more comprehensive and have functions in two or more categories. For the practicality of the categorization scheme, this study checked the inter-rater reliability in two tests and got 0.886 and 0.828. The result from this study suggests functions that are not implemented yet or need to be combined. Future research will focus on identifying promising car apps or designing multi-functional car apps.
Mobile Apps;Car Apps;App Classification;Connected Car Services;Smart Cars
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- M-R Yeom, J-O Park, and D-Y Jung, "Analysis of Cosmetics App Smart UI convergence Design in Mobile Environments", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 2, pp. 13-17, 2016.
- D-W Kwon, D-W Park, D-W Lee, "Design and Implementation of Application for Monitoring Companion Animals in Smart Devices", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 2, pp. 7-12, 2016.
- S. Ninan, B. Gangula, M. von Alten, and B. Sniderman, "Who owns the road? The IoT-connected car of today and tomorrow," Deloitte University Press, 2015.
- R. Viereckl, D. Ahlemann, A. Koster, and S. Jursch, "Connected Car Study 2015: Racing ahead with autonomous cars and digital innovation", PwC, 2015.
- McKinsey & Company, Competing for the Connected Customer - Perspectives on the Opportunities Created by Car Connectivity and Automation, September 2015.
- GSMA, 2025 Every Car Connected: Forecasting the Growth and Opportunity, 2012.
- GSMA, Connecting Cars: Bring Your Own Device - Tethering Challenges, 2013.
- GSMA, Connecting Cars: The Technology Roadmap, 2012.
- C. J. Gao, "An Empirical Study on In-Car Applications: Views of Drivers in China," unpublished Master thesis, Korea University, 2016.
- L. L. Wan , "A Study of Factors Affecting Mobile Application Download", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 189-196, 2014.
- Statistica.com, "Number of Available Apps in Leading App Stores as of July 2015," http://www.statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/ (December 15, 2015).
- T. S. Jeong, "A Study on Promotion Strategy of Categorized Mobile Apps using Data Mining", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 339-349, 2012.
- Appbrain, "Top Categories: Most Popular Google Play Categories," http://www.appbrain.com/stats/android-market-app-categories (December 15, 2015).
- Statistica.com, "Number of Available Apps in the Apple App Store from July 2008 to June 2015," http://www.statista.com/statistics/263795/numberof-available-apps-in-the-apple-app-store/, (December 15, 2015).
- S. Meena, "Consumers Will Download More Than 226 Billion Apps In 2015," http://blogs.forrester.com/satish_meena/15-06-22-consumers_will_download_more_than_226_billion_apps_in_2015, Forrester Research, (December 15, 2015).
- Statistica.com, "Most Popular Apple App Store Categories in December 2015 by Share of Available Apps," http://www.statista.com/statistics/270291/popular-categories-in-the-app-store/ (December 15, 2015).
- Y. S. Kim, K. B. Yoon, and M. J. Koo, "Design and Implementation of Health Club Management System Using Mobile App", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, pp. 133-139, 2014.
- H. W. Koo, C. H. Lee, and Y. C. Kim, "Implementation and Design of Usability Analysis System for Upgrading the Usage of Mobile Applications", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp 171-182, 2012.
- D. J. Park, J. H. Choi, and D. J. Kim, "The Influence of Health Apps Efficacy, Satisfaction and Continued Use Intention on Wearable Device Adoption: A Convergence Perspective", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 137-145, 2015.
- K. B. Yoon, J. Y. Park, and D. W. Park, "Study of Mobile App GUI Interface for SAP", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.11, No. 9, pp. 201-207, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.201
- M. J. Koo, K. B. Yoon, and C. B. Ko, "Design and Implementation of the Specialized Business-Work Management System (WMS) Using Mobile App and GPS", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 8, pp. 359-365, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.359
- Statistica.com, "Types of Apps Downloaded by Car Drivers in the United States as of April 2015," http://www.statista.com/statistics/428070/types-ofapps-downloaded-by-car-drivers-us/ (December 15, 2015).
- S. H. Lee, M. Y. Shin, "Management Plan for Mobile Contents Bypassing In App Billing Application", Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 21-26, 2015
- J. H. Soo, G. S. Chae, "Detection of Forgery of Mobile App and Study on Countermeasure", Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 27-31, 2015