- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A multimodal adaptive evolution of the N1 method for assessment and design of r.c. framed structures
- Lenza, Pietro (Department of Structural Engineering, University of Naples "Federico II") ;
- Ghersi, Aurelio (Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture, University of Catania) ;
- Marino, Edoardo M. (Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture, University of Catania) ;
- Pellecchia, Marcello (Department of Structural Engineering, University of Naples "Federico II")
- Received : 2016.12.22
- Accepted : 2017.02.11
- Published : 2017.03.25
This paper presents a multimodal adaptive nonlinear static method of analysis that, differently from the nonlinear static methods suggested in seismic codes, does not require the definition of the equivalent Single-Degree-Of-Freedom (SDOF) system to evaluate the seismic response of structures. First, the proposed method is formulated for the assessment of r.c. plane frames and then it is extended to 3D framed structures. Furthermore, the proposed nonlinear static approach is re-elaborated as a displacement-based design method that does not require the use of the behaviour factor and takes into account explicitly the plastic deformation capacity of the structure. Numerical applications to r.c. plane frames and to a 3D framed structure with inplan irregularity are carried out to illustrate the attractive features as well as the limitations of the proposed method. Furthermore, the numerical applications evidence the uncertainty about the suitability of the displacement demand prediction obtained by the nonlinear static methods commonly adopted.
pushover analysis;multimodal procedure;adaptive procedure;displacement based design;inelastic response of structures
- Ayala, G., Castellanos, H. and Lopez, S. (2012), "A displacementbased seismic design method with damage control for RC buildings", Earthq. Struct., 3(3), 413-434. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.3_4.413
- Adhikari, G. and Pinho, R. (2010), "Development and application of Nonlinear Static Procedures for plan-asymmetric buildings", Research Report Rose 2010/01, IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy.
- Antoniou, S. and Pinho, R. (2004), "Development and verification of a displacement-based adaptive pushover procedure", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(5), 643-661.
- Blandon, C.A. (2004) "Equivalent viscous damping equations for direct displacement based design", Dissertation submitted in partial fulfilment for Master Degree in Earthquake Engineering, Rose School, Pavia.
- Bhatt, C. and Bento, R. (2011), "Extension of the CSM-FEMA440 to plan-asymmetric real building structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40(11), 1263-1282. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1087
- Bosco, M., Ghersi, A. and Marino, E.M. (2009), "On the evaluation of seismic response of structures by nonlinear static methods", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 38(13), 1465-1482. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.911
- Bosco, M., Ghersi, A. and Marino, E.M. (2012), "Corrective eccentricities for assessment by the nonlinear static method of 3D structures subjected to bidirectional ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(13), 1751-1773. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2155
- Bosco, M., Ghersi, A., Marino, E.M. and Rossi P.P. (2013), "Comparison of nonlinear static methods for the assessment of asymmetric buildings", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 11(5), 1423-1445. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9438-3
- Bosco, M., Ferrara, G.A.F., Ghersi, A., Marino, E.M. and Rossi P.P. (2015a), "Predicting displacement demand of multi-storey asymmetric buildings by nonlinear static analysis and corrective eccentricities", Eng. Struct., 99, 373-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.05.006
- Bosco, M., Ferrara, G.A.F., Ghersi, A., Marino, E.M. and Rossi, P.P. (2015b), "Seismic assessment of existing r.c. framed structures with in-plan irregularity by nonlinear static methods", Earthq. Struct., 8(2), 401-422. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.2.401
- Bracci, J.M., Kunnath, S.K. and Reinhorn, A.M. (1997), "Seismic performance and retrofit evaluation of reinforced concrete structures", J. Struct. Eng., 123(1), 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:1(3)
- Casarotti, C. and Pinho, R. (2007), "An adaptive capacity spectrum method for assessment of bridges subjected to earthquake action", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 5(3), 377-390. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-007-9031-8
- Chopra, A.K. (1995), "Dynamics of structures: Theory and application to earthquake engineering", Prentice Hall, USA.
- Chopra, A.K. and Goel, R.K. (2002), "A modal pushover analysis procedure for estimating seismic demands for buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(3), 561-582. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.144
- Chopra, A.K. and Goel, R.K. (2003), "A modal pushover analysis procedure to estimate seismic demands for buildings: theory and preliminary evaluation", EERC 2003/08, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- Chopra, A.K. and Goel, R.K. (2004), "A modal pushover analysis procedure to estimate seismic demands for unsymmetric-plan buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 33(8), 903-927. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.380
- Chopra, A.K. (2004), "Estimating seismic demands for performance-based engineering of buildings", Proceedings of 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada.
- Comite Europeen de Normalisation, CEN (2003), "Eurocode 8: design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings", EN 1998-1, CEN, Brussels.
- Comite Europeen de Normalisation, CEN (2005), "Eurocode 8: design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 3: Assessment and retrofitting of buildings", EN 1998-3, CEN, Brussels.
- Elnashai, A.S. (2001), "Advanced inelastic static (pushover) analysis for earthquake applications", Struct. Eng. Mech., 12(1), 51-69. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2001.12.1.051
- Fajfar, P. (1999), "Capacity spectrum method based on inelastic demand spectra", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(9), 979-993. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199909)28:9<979::AID-EQE850>3.0.CO;2-1
- Fajfar, P. (2000), "The capacity spectrum method as a tool for seismic design", Earthq. Spectra, 16(3), 573-592. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586128
- Fajfar, P. and Fischinger, M. (1988), "N2 - a method for nonlinear seismic analysis of regular structures", Proceedings of 9th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo-Kyoto, Japan.
- Fajfar, P. and Gaspersic, P. (1996), "The N2 method for the seismic damage analysis of rc buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25(1), 31-46. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199601)25:1<31::AID-EQE534>3.0.CO;2-V
- Freeman, S.A. (1998), "The capacity spectrum method as a tool for seismic design", Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paris, France.
- Freeman, S.A. (2004), "Review of the development of the capacity spectrum method", ISET J. Earthq. Technol., 41(1), 1-13.
- Freeman, S.A., Nicoletti, J.P. and Tyrell, J.V. (1975), "Evaluations of existing buildings for seismic risk. A case study of Puget Sound naval shipyard", Proceedings of the U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Berkeley, USA.
- Fujii, K. (2014), "Prediction of the largest peak nonlinear seismic response of asymmetric buildings under bi-directional excitation using pushover analyses", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 12(2), 909-938. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9557-x
- Fujii, K. (2016), "Assessment of pushover-based method to a building with bidirectional setback", Earthq. Struct., 11(3), 421-443. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.3.421
- Ghersi, A., Lenza, P. and Pellecchia, M. (2013), "Uno sviluppo multimodale ed adattivo del metodo N1 per la verifica ed il progetto di strutture intelaiate in c.a.", (A multimodal and adaptive development of the N1 method for assessment and design of r.c. framed structures), Proceedings of the XV congresso ANIDIS 2013, Bari, Italy. (in Italian)
- Giorgi, P. and Scotta, R. (2013), "Validation and improvement of N1 method for pushover analysis", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 55, 140-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2013.09.011
- Gupta, B. and Kunnath, S.K. (2000), "Adaptive spectra-based pushover procedure for seismic evaluation of structures", Earthq. Spectra, 16(2), 367-391. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586117
- Hanckock, J. (2006), "The influence of duration and the selection and scaling of accelerograms in engineering design and assessment", PhD. Dissertation, Imperial College, University of London, UK.
- Krawinkler, H. (1996), "Pushover analysis: why, how, when and when not to use it", Proceedings of the Conference of the Structural Engineers Association of California, Maui, Hawaii.
- Kreslin, M. and Fajfar, P. (2012), "The extended N2 method considering higher mode effects in both plan and elevation", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 10(2), 695-715. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-011-9319-6
- Iervolino, I., Galasso, C. and Cosenza, E. (2010), "REXEL: computer aided record selection for code-based seismic structural analysis", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 339-362. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9146-1
- Italian Ministry of Public Works (2008), "Ministry Decree, 14/01/2008, Norme Tecniche per le Costruzioni (NTC08)" (Technical Regulations for Constructions), Gazzetta Ufficiale Serie generale n.29, suppl. ord. n.30, 4/02/2008, Rome. (in Italian)
- Meireles, H., Pinho, R., Bento, R. and Antoniou, S. (2006), "Verification of an adaptive pushover technique for 3D case", First European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Moghadam, A.S. and Tso, W.K. (2000), "Pushover analysis for asymmetric and set-back multi-story buildings", 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Newmark, N.M. and Hall, W.J. (1982), "Earthquake Spectra and Design", Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA.
- O.P.C.M. 3431 (2005), "Norme Tecniche per il Progetto la Valutazione e l'adeguamento Sismico Degli Edifici" (Regulations for Seismic Design, Assessment and Rehabilitation of Buildings), Rome. (in Italian)
- Pellecchia, M. (2012), "Una procedura statica non lineare multimodale e adattiva per il displacement based design", (A multimodal adaptive nonlinear static for displacement based design), Master's degree thesis, University of Naples "Federico II". (in Italian)
- Priestley, M.J.N. (2003), "Myths and fallacies in earthquake engineering, Revisited", The Mallet Milne Lecture. IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy.
- Shi, W., Pan, P., Ye, L., Xu, Y. and Wang, C. (2013), "Skylinebased ground motion selection method for nonlinear time history analysis of building structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(9), 1361-1373. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2276
- Sasaki, K., Freeman, S.A. and Paret, T.F. (1998), "Multi-mode pushover procedure - a method to identify the effects of higher modes in a pushover analysis", Proceedings of 6th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Seattle, USA.
- Tanganelli, M., Viti, S., Mariani, V. and Pianigiani, M. (2016), "Seismic assessment of existing RC buildings under alternative ground motion ensembles compatible to EC8 and NTC 2008", Bull. Earthq. Eng., doi:10.1007/s10518-016-0028-z. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-016-0028-z