- Volume 61 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Vehicle/track dynamic interaction considering developed railway substructure models
- Mosayebi, Seyed-Ali (School of Railway Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Zakeri, Jabbar-Ali (School of Railway Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Esmaeili, Morteza (School of Railway Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.11.17
- Accepted : 2016.11.28
- Published : 2017.03.25
This study is devoted to developing many new substructure models for ballasted railway track by using the pyramid model philosophy. As the effect of railway embankment has been less considered in the previous studies in the field of vehicle/track interaction, so the present study develops the pyramid models in the presence of railway embankment and implements them in vehicle/track interaction dynamic analyses. Considering a moving car body as multi bodies with 10 degrees of freedom and the ballasted track including rail, sleeper, ballast, subgrade and embankment, two categories of numerical analyses are performed by considering the new substructure systems including type A (initiation of stress overlap areas in adjacent sleepers from the ballast layer) or type B (initiation of stress overlap areas in adjacent sleepers from the subgrade layer). A comprehensive sensitivity analyses are performed on effective parameters such as ballast height, sleepers spacing and sleeper width. The results indicate that the stiffness of subgrade, embankment and foundation increased by increasing the ballast height. Also, by increasing the ballast height, rail and ballast vertical displacement decreased.
- Ahlbeck, D.R., Meacham, H.C. and Prause, R.H. (1978), "The development of analytical models for railroad track dynamics", Ed. Kerr, A.D., Railroad Track Mechanics & Technology, Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- Berggren, E.G. (2009), "Railway track stiffness-dynamic measurements and evaluation for efficient maintenance", PhD Thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
- Byun, Y.H., Hong, W.T. and Lee, J S. (2015), "Characterization of railway substructure using a hybrid cone penetrometer", Smart Struct. Syst., 15(4), 1085-1101. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.4.1085
- Cai, Z. and Raymond, G.P. (1994), "Modelling the dynamic response of railway track to wheel/rail impact loading", Struct. Eng. Mech., 2(1), 95-112. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.1994.2.1.095
- Chang, T.P. and Liu, Y.N. (1996), "Dynamic finite element analysis of a nonlinear beam subjected to a moving load", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 33(12), 1673-1688. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(95)00128-X
- Esmaeili, M., Zakeri, J.A. and Mosayebi, S.A. (2014), "Effect of sand-fouled ballast on train-induced vibration", Int. J. Pave. Eng., 15(7), 635-644. https://doi.org/10.1080/10298436.2013.818146
- Ishida, M. and Suzuki, T. (2005), "Effect on track settlement of interaction excited by leading and trailing axles", QR RTRI, 46(1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.2219/rtriqr.46.1
- Kerr, A.D. (2000), "On the determination of the rail support modulus k", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 37(32), 4335-4351. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(99)00151-1
- Kerr, A.D. (2003), Fundamentals of Railway Track Engineering, Simmons-Boardman Books, Incorporated.
- Leaflet No. 301, (2002), Technical and General Specification of Ballasted Railway, Management and Planning Organization of Iran, Tehran, Iran.
- Lei, X. and Zhang, B. (2010), "Influence of track stiffness on vehicle and track interactions in track transition", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 224(6), 592-604. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544097JRRT318
- Muscolino, G. and Palmeri, A. (2007), "Response of beams resting on viscoelastically damped foundation to moving oscillators", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 44(5), 1317-1336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2006.06.013
- O'Brien, E.J., Taheri, A. and Gavin, K. (2012), "The influence of subgrade subsidence on train track dynamic interaction", in J. Pombo, (Editor), Proceedings of the First International Conference on Railway Technology: Research, Development and Maintenance, Civil-Comp Press, Stirlingshire, UK, Paper 110, doi:10.4203/ccp.98.110. https://doi.org/10.4203/ccp.98.110
- Rezvani, M.A., Vesali, F. and Eghbali, A. (2013), "Dynamic response of railway bridges traversed simultaneously by opposing moving trains", Struct. Eng. Mech., 46(5), 713-734. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.5.713
- Sun, Y.Q. and Dhanasekar, M. (2002), "A dynamic model for the vertical interaction of the rail track and wagon system", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 39(5), 1337-1359. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(01)00224-4
- UIC Code 719R, International Union of Railways, (1994), Earthworks and Track-bed Layers for Railway Lines, 2nd Edition, Paris, France.
- Uzzal, R.U.A., Ahmed, W. and Rakheja, S. (2008), "Dynamic analysis of railway vehicle-track interactions due to wheel flat with a pitch-plane vehicle model", J. Mech. Eng., 39(2), 86-94.
- Wang, C., Zhou, S., Wang, B., Guo, P. and Su, H. (2015), "Differential settlements in foundations under embankment load: Theoretical model and experimental verification", Geomech. Eng., 8(2), 283-303. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.2.283
- Xia, H., Deng, Y., Xia, C., De Roeck, G., Qi, L. and Sun, L. (2013), "Dynamic analysis of coupled train-ladder trackelevated bridge system", Struct. Eng. Mech., 47(5), 661-678. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.47.5.661
- Zakeri, J.A. and Ghorbani, V. (2011), "Investigation on dynamic behavior of railway track in transition zone", J. Mech. Sci. Technol., 25(2), 287-292. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-010-1202-x
- Zakeri, J.A. and Xia, H. (2008), "Sensitivity analysis of track parameters on train-track dynamic interaction", J. Mech. Sci. Tech., 22(7), 1299-1304. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-0316-x
- Zakeri, J.A., Xia, H. and Fan, J.J. (2009), "Dynamic responses of train-track system to single rail irregularity", Latin Am. J. Solid. Struct., 6(2), 89-104.
- Zhai, W.M., Wang, K.Y. and Lin, J.H. (2004), "Modelling and experiment of railway ballast vibrations", J. Sound Vib., 270(4-5), 673-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(03)00186-X