- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Reduction of Blue-green Algae and Its By-products using Intake of Deep Water in Summer
하절기 심층취수를 이용한 남조류 및 남조류 부산물질의 유입 저감
- Park, Hong-Ki (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Jung, Eun-Young (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Son, Hee-Jong (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Choi, Jin-Taek (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority)
- 박홍기 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 정은영 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 손희종 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 최진택 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소)
- Received : 2016.12.23
- Accepted : 2017.01.23
- Published : 2017.03.31
In order to determine the optimal water intake point, the distribution of blue-Green algae and water quality factors in relation to the depth of the Mulgum and Maeri stations located downstream of the Nakdong River were investigated from Jun. 2015 to Sep. 2016. When the current surface water intake system was converted to the deep water intake system, Chl-a concentration and blue-Green algae were reduced by 64.1% and 80.5%, respectively. Microcystin-LR was reduced by 50% to 100%, while geosmin and 2-MIB of the odorant substances were reduced by 42.9% and 11.8%, respectively. The water quality factors such as pH, water temperature, TOC and COD were gradually decreased by 30% in deep water. Therefore, if we used the deep water intake system selectively in the summer season when blue-Green algae masses occur, the concentration of the influx of blue-green algae and its by-products can be expected to decrease, leading to reduced operation costs in tap water production and improved of raw water quality.
- Ando, A., Miwa, M., Kajino, M., Tatsumi, S., 1992, Removal of musty-odorous compounds in water and retained in algal cells through water purification processes, Water Sci. Technol., 25(2), 299-306.
- Barnett, R. H., 1984, Research on control of taste and odor producing algae in surface reservoir, Proc. AWWA WQTC, Denver, Colo.
- Barrett, P. R. F., Curnow, J. C., Littlejohn, J. W., 1996, The control of diatom and cyanobacterial blooms in reservoirs using barely straw, Hydrobiologia, 340, 307-311. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00012773
- Bond, T., Huang, J., Templeton, M. R., Graham, N., 2011, Occurrence and control of nitrogenous disinfection by-products in drinking water - A Review, Water Res., 45, 4341-4354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2011.05.034
- Chapman, A. D., 2010, Cyanobacteria, In Algae: Source to Treatment, Am. Water Works Assoic. Denver, 125-145.
- Cho, K. S., Kim, B. C., Heo, W. M., Cho, S. J., 1989, The succession of phytoplankton in Lake Soyang, Kor. J. Lim, 22, 179-189.
- Choi, S. K., Lee, J. Y., Kwon, D. Y., Cho, K. J., 2006, Settling characteristics of problem algae in the water treatment process, Water Sci. Technol., 53(7), 73-119.
- Ehrlich, L., 2010, Sampling and identification: methods and strategies, In Algae: Source to Treatment, Am. Water Works Assoic. Denver, 25-69.
- Fleming, L. E., Rivero, C., Burns, J., Williams, C., Bean, J. A., Shea, K. A., Stinn, J., 2002, Blue green algal (cyanobacterial) toxins, surface drinking water, and liver cancer in Florida, Harmful Algae, 1, 157-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1568-9883(02)00026-4
- Huang, J., Graham, N. J. D., Templeton, M. R., Zhang, Y., Collins, C., Nieuwenhuijsen, M., 2008, Evaluation of Anabaena flos-aquae as a precursor for trihalomethane and haloacetic acid formation, Water Sci. Technol. Water Suppl., 8(6), 653-662. https://doi.org/10.2166/ws.2008.151
- Joh, G., Choi, Y. S., Shin, J. K., Lee, J., 2011, Problematic algae in the sedimentation and filtration process of water treatment plants, J. Water Suppl. Res. Technol.-Aqua, 60(4), 219-230. https://doi.org/10.2166/aqua.2011.035
- Jun, H. B., Lee, Y. J., Lee, B. D., Knappe, D. R. U., 2001, Effectiveness of coagulants and coagulant aids for the removal of filter-clogging Synedra, J. Water Suppl. Res. Technol.-Aqua, 50(3), 135-148. https://doi.org/10.2166/aqua.2001.0013
- Lee, H. J., Kang, L. S., 2009, Analysis of geosmin and 2-MIB in water by stir bar sorptive extraction (SBSE) and GC/MS, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 31(1), 64-69.
- Ma, J., Lei, G., Fang, J., 2007, Effect of algae species population structure on their removal by coagulation and filtration processes A Case study, J. Water Suppl. Res. Technol.-Aqua, 56(1), 41-54. https://doi.org/10.2166/aqua.2007.062
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER), 2008, The Instruction of sampling and Cycnobacterial toxic method, 56-57.
- Pantelic, D., Svircev, Z., Simeunovic, J., Vidovic, M., Trajkovic, I., 2013, Cyanotoxins : Characteristics, production and degradation routes in drinking water treatment with reference to the situation in Serbia, Chemosphere, 91, 421-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2013.01.003
- Schoen, S., 1988, Cell counting, in experimental phycology a laboratory manual, Christoper, S. L., David, J. C., Bruno, P. K. (Eds.), Cambridge Univ. Press, London, 16-22.
- Son, H. J., 2013a, Long-term variations of phytoplankton biomass and water quality in the downstream of Nakdong River, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 35(4), 263-267. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2013.35.4.263
- Son, H. J., 2013b, The analysis of phytoplankton community structure in the middle-lower part of the Nakdong River, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 35(6), 430-435. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2013.35.6.430
- Son, H. J., Park, H. K., Hwang, Y. D., Jung, J. M., Kim, S. G., 2015, Characteristics of formation of chlorination disinfection by-products in extracellular organic matter of various algal species, J. Environ. Sci. Intl., 24(3), 353-358. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.3.353
- Watson, S. B., 2003, Cyanobacterial and eukaryotic algal odour compounds: signals or by-products? a review of their biological activity, Phycologia, 42, 332-350. https://doi.org/10.2216/i0031-8884-42-4-332.1
- Effect of Pre-chlorine and Polyamine Dosing for Microcystis sp. Bloomed Water on Drinking Water Treatment Processes : Particle Matter Distribution vol.39, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2017.39.10.556
- Spatiotemporal and Longitudinal Variability of Hydro-meteorology, Basic Water Quality and Dominant Algal Assemblages in the Eight Weir Pools of Regulated River (Nakdong) vol.51, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2018.51.4.268