- Volume 50 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome after Viscum album Pleurodesis for Primary Spontaneous Pneumothorax
- Noh, Dongsub (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, CHA Bundang Medical Center, CHA University) ;
- Park, Joon Suk (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, CHA Bundang Medical Center, CHA University) ;
- Lee, Doo Yun (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, CHA Bundang Medical Center, CHA University)
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.23
- Published : 2017.02.05
A 52-year-old male patient who underwent multiple wedge resections experienced postoperative acute respiratory distress syndrome in both lungs after Viscum album pleurodesis. Despite initial rapid deterioration in clinical condition and rapid progression of bilateral lung infiltration, he exhibited a relatively smooth clinical recovery with marked response to glucocorticoid treatment. Our case report suggests that care must be taken to guard against the development of acute respiratory complications in the use of Viscum album for pleurodesis. However, in view of the clinically benign course, initial aggressive management of complications can prevent suffering and sequelae.
- Sonoda A, Jeudy J, White CS, et al. Pleurodesis: indications and radiologic appearance. Jpn J Radiol 2015;33:241-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11604-015-0412-7
- Bock PR, Friedel WE, Hanisch J, Karasmann M, Schneider B. Efficacy and safety of long-term complementary treatment with standardized European mistletoe extract (Viscum album L.) in addition to the conventional adjuvant oncologic therapy in patients with primary nonmetastasized mammary carcinoma: results of a multi-center, comparative, epidemiological cohort study in Germany and Switzerland. Arzneimittelforschung 2004;54:456-66.
- Horneber MA, Bueschel G, Huber R, Linde K, Rostock M. Mistletoe therapy in oncology. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008;(2):CD003297.
- Stumpf C, Bussing A. Stimulation of antitumour immunity by intrapleural instillation of a Viscum album L. extract. Anticancer Drugs 1997;8 Suppl 1:S23-6.
- Cho HJ, Na KJ, Kim DW, Choi YE, Ma JS, Jeong IS. Chemical pleurodesis using a Viscum album extract in infants with congenital chylothorax. Eur J Pediatr 2014;173:823-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-014-2283-9
- Cho SJ, Kim SW, Chang JW. Acute pneumonitis consequent on pleurodesis with Viscum album extract: severe chest images but benign clinical course. Multidiscip Respir Med 2014;9:61. https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-6958-9-61