- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Filipino women's diet and health study (FiLWHEL): design and methods
- Abris, Grace P. (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Hong, Sangmo (Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hallym University Dongtan Sacred Heart Hospital) ;
- Provido, Sherlyn Mae P. (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Lee, Jung Eun (Department of Food and Nutrition, College of Human Ecology, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Chang Beom (Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Hanyang University School of Medicine)
- Received : 2016.09.26
- Accepted : 2016.10.18
- Published : 2017.02.01
BACKGROUND: Immigration to South Korea from neighboring Asian countries has risen dramatically, primarily due to marriage between Korean men and foreign women. Although Filipino women rank fourth among married immigrant women, little is known about the health condition of this population. This manuscript focuses on the design and methods of Filipino women's diet and health study (FiLWHEL). SUBJECTS/METHODS: FiLWHEL is a cohort of Filipino women married to Korean men, aged 19 years old or over. The data collection comprised three parts: questionnaire, physical examination, and biospecimen collection. Questionnaires focused on demographic factors, diet, other health-related behaviors, acculturation and immigration-related factors, medical history, quality of life, and children's health information. Participants visited the recruitment site and answered the structured questionnaires through a face-to-face interview. We also measured their anthropometric features and collected fasting blood samples, toenails, and DNA samples. Recruitment started in 2014. RESULTS/CONCLUSIONS: Collection of data is ongoing, and we plan to prospectively follow our cohort participants. We expect that our study, which is focused on married Filipino women immigrants, can elucidate nutritional/health status and the effects of transitional experiences from several lifestyle factors.
Supported by : Hanmi Pharmaceutical Co., ltd
- Ministry of Justice, Korea Immigration Service. Korea immigration service statistics annual report: 2009 [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Justice; 2010 [cited 2014 October 12]. Available from: http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/COM/bbs_003/ListShowData.do?strNbodCd=noti0096&strWrtNo=120&strAnsNo=A&strOrgGbnCd=104000&strRtnURL=IMM_6050&strAllOrgYn=N&strThisPage=1&strFilePath=imm/.
- Hi Korea: e-Government for Foreigner. The requirements for a marriage migrant visa(F-6) [Internet]. Seoul: Hi Korea; 2014 [cited 2016 March 17]. Available from: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/NtcCotnDetailR_en.pt?bbsGbCd=BS10&bbsSeq=2&langCd=EN&ntccttSeq=48.
- Seoul Special City, Multicultural Affairs Division (KR). The hanultari living guide for multicultural families living in Seoul [Internet]. Seoul: Seoul Special City; 2014 [cited 2016 March 17]. Available from: http://english.seoul.go.kr/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/The-Hanultari-Living-Guide_English.pdf.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs (KR). Let's live a happy life in Korea: guide book for married immigrants in Korea [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs; [cited 2016 March 17]. Available from: http://www.129.go.kr/upload/english/hapeng.pdf.
- Ministry of Justice, Korea Immigration Service. Vibrant Korea growing with immigrants [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Justice; 2015 [cited 2016 March 17]. Available from: http://www.moj.go.kr/HP/TIMM/imm_07/image/bro_eng.pdf.
- Statistics Korea. Vital statistics of immigrants in 2014 [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2015 [cited 2016 March 17]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/eng/pressReleases/8/3/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=350648&pageNo=&rowNum=10&amSeq=&sTarget=&sTxt=.
- Ministry of Justice, Korea Immigration Service. Korea immigration service statistics annual report: 2014 [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Justice; 2015 [cited 2016 February 2]. Available from: http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/COM/bbs_003/ListShowData.do?strNbodCd=noti0096&strWrtNo=128&strAnsNo=A&strOrgGbnCd=104000&strRtnURL=IMM_6050&strAllOrgYn=N&strThisPage=1&strFilePath=imm/.
- Yang SJ, Choi HY, Chee YK, Kim JA. Prevalence and correlates of obesity and overweight among asian immigrant women in Korea. Asia Pac J Public Health 2012;24:620-30. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539511406710
- McCracken M, Olsen M, Chen MS Jr, Jemal A, Thun M, Cokkinides V, Deapen D, Ward E. Cancer incidence, mortality, and associated risk factors among Asian Americans of Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese ethnicities. CA Cancer J Clin 2007;57:190-205. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.57.4.190
- Ryan C, Shaw R, Pliam M, Zapolanski AJ, Murphy M, Valle HV, Myler R. Coronary heart disease in Filipino and Filipino-American patients: prevalence of risk factors and outcomes of treatment. J Invasive Cardiol 2000;12:134-9.
- Choi SE, Chow VH, Chung SJ, Wong ND. Do risk factors explain the increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes among California Asian adults? J Immigr Minor Health 2011;13:803-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-010-9397-6
- Araneta MR, Barrett-Connor E. Ethnic differences in visceral adipose tissue and type 2 diabetes: Filipino, African-American, and white women. Obes Res 2005;13:1458-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2005.176
- Food and Nutrition Research Institute (PH). The 8th national nutrition survey: 2013 [Internet]. Metro Manila: Food and Nutrition Research Institute; 2014 [cited 2016 March 18]. Available from: http://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph/index.php/nutrition-statistic/19-nutrition-statistic/118-8th-national-nutrition-survey.
- Kim S, Moon S, Popkin BM. The nutrition transition in South Korea. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:44-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.1.44
- Popkin BM. Nutritional patterns and transitions. Popul Dev Rev 1993;19:138-57. https://doi.org/10.2307/2938388
- Rosenmoller DL, Gasevic D, Seidell J, Lear SA. Determinants of changes in dietary patterns among Chinese immigrants: a crosssectional analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2011;8:42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-42
- Wandel M, Raberg M, Kumar B, Holmboe-Ottesen G. Changes in food habits after migration among South Asians settled in Oslo: the effect of demographic, socio-economic and integration factors. Appetite 2008;50:376-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2007.09.003
- Batis C, Hernandez-Barrera L, Barquera S, Rivera JA, Popkin BM. Food acculturation drives dietary differences among Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and non-Hispanic Whites. J Nutr 2011;141:1898-906. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.111.141473
- Serafica RC, Lane SH, Ceria-Ulep CD. Dietary acculturation and predictors of anthropometric indicators among Filipino Americans. Sage Open 2013;3:2158244013495543.
- O'Brien PS, Wheeler T, Barker D. Fetal Programming: Influences on Development and Disease in Later Life. London: RCOG Press; 1999.
- Barker DJ. The fetal and infant origins of adult disease. BMJ 1990;301:1111. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.301.6761.1111
- Hales CN, Barker DJ. Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus: the thrifty phenotype hypothesis. Diabetologia 1992;35:595-601. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00400248
- Food and Nutrition Research Institute (PH). The 7th national nutrition survey: Philippines, 2008 anthropometric survey component [Internet]. Metro Manila: Food and Nutrition Research Institute; 2008 [cited 2015 January 1]. Available from: http://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph/ images/stories/7thNNS/anthrop/anthrop_preschool_adoles.pdf.
- Haddad L, Alderman H, Appleton S, Song L, Yohannes Y. Reducing child malnutrition: How far does income growth take us? World Bank Econ Rev 2003;17:107-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhg012
- Yang YM, Wang HH. Acculturation and health-related quality of life among Vietnamese immigrant women in transnational marriages in Taiwan. J Transcult Nurs 2011;22:405-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659611414144
- Howes OD, McDonald C, Cannon M, Arseneault L, Boydell J, Murray RM. Pathways to schizophrenia: the impact of environmental factors. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2004;7 Suppl 1:S7-13. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1461145704004122
- Cantor-Graae E, Selten JP. Schizophrenia and migration: a metaanalysis and review. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:12-24. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.162.1.12
- Black PH, Garbutt LD. Stress, inflammation and cardiovascular disease. J Psychosom Res 2002;52:1-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(01)00302-6
- Cohen S, Janicki-Deverts D, Miller GE. Psychological stress and disease. JAMA 2007;298:1685-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.298.14.1685
- Uitewaal PJ, Manna DR, Bruijnzeels MA, Hoes AW, Thomas S. Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus, other cardiovascular risk factors, and cardiovascular disease in Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in North West Europe: a systematic review. Prev Med 2004;39:1068-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.04.009
- Macfarlane DJ, Lee CC, Ho EY, Chan KL, Chan DT. Reliability and validity of the Chinese version of IPAQ (short, last 7 days). J Sci Med Sport 2007;10:45-51.
- Nedjat S, Montazeri A, Holakouie K, Mohammad K, Majdzadeh R. Psychometric properties of the Iranian interview-administered version of the World Health Organization's Quality of Life Questionnaire (WHOQOL-BREF): a population-based study. BMC Health Serv Res 2008;8:61. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-8-61
- Kim SH, Jo MW, Lee JW, Lee HJ, Kim JK. Validity and reliability of EQ-5D-3L for breast cancer patients in Korea. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2015;13:203. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-015-0399-x
- Narrow WE, Clarke DE, Kuramoto SJ, Kraemer HC, Kupfer DJ, Greiner L, Regier DA. DSM-5 field trials in the United States and Canada, Part III: development and reliability testing of a cross-cutting symptom assessment for DSM-5. Am J Psychiatry 2013;170:71-82. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2012.12071000
- Rosner B. Fundamentals of Biostatistics. 7th ed. Boston (MA): Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning; 2011. p.352-426.
- Araneta MR, Morton DJ, Lantion-Ang L, Grandinetti A, Lim-Abrahan MA, Chang H, Barrett-Connor E, Rodriguez BL, Wingard DL. Hyperglycemia and type 2 diabetes among Filipino women in the Philippines, Hawaii, and San Diego. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2006;71:306-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2005.07.012
- Dietary diversity and nutritional adequacy among married Filipino immigrant women: The Filipino Women’s Diet and Health Study (FiLWHEL) vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5233-z
- Association between dietary diversity and obesity in the Filipino Women’s Diet and Health Study (FiLWHEL): A cross-sectional study vol.13, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0206490
- Consumption of Han-sik and its Association with Socioeconomic Status among Filipino Immigrant Women: the Filipino Women's Diet and Health Study (FiLWHEL) vol.23, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2018.23.6.475