- Volume 55 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
H2S Poisoning Effect and Recovery Methods of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell
황화수소 피독이 고분자전해질 연료전지에 미치는 영향과 회복기법
- Chun, Byungdo (School of Chemical Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Kim, Junbom (School of Chemical Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2016.11.28
- Accepted : 2017.01.19
- Published : 2017.02.01
The performance of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) could be deteriorated when fuel contains contaminants such as carbon monoxide (CO) or hydrogen sulfide (
Polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell;Hydrogen sulfide;Poisoning;Recovery
Supported by : 울산대학교
- Vishnyakov, V. M., "Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells," Vacuum, 80(10), 1053-1065(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2006.03.029
- Ralph, T. R., "Clean Fuel Cell Energy for Today," Platinum Met. Rev., 43(1), 14-17(1999).
- Appleby, A. J., "The Electrochemical Engine for Vehicles," Sci. Am., 281, 74-79(1999).
- A. C. Lloyd, "The Power Plant in Your Basement," Sci. Am., 281, 80-86(1999).
- C. K. Dyer, "Replacing the Battery in Portable Electronics," Sci. Am., 281, 88-93(1999).
- Lee, D. Y. and Hwang, S. W., "Effect of Loading and Distributions of Nafion Ionomer in the Catalyst Layer for PEMFCs," Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 33(11), 2790-2794(2009).
- Yu, X. and Ye, S., "Recent Advances in Activity and Durability Enhancement of Pt/C Catalytic Cathode in PEMFC: Part II: Degradation Mechanism and Durability Enhancement of Carbon Supported Platinum Catalyst," J. Power Sources, 172, 145-154(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.07.048
- Knights, S. D., Colbow, K. M., St-Pierre, J. and Wilkinson, D. P., "Aging Mechanisms and Lifetime of PEFC and DMFC," J. Power Sources, 127, 127-134(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.09.033
- Stevens, D. A. and Dahn, J. R., "Thermal Degradation of the Support in Carbon-supported Platinum Electrocatalysts for PEM Fuel Cells," Carbon, 43, 179-188(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2004.09.004
- Jeong, J. H. and Song, M. H., "Performance and Durability of PEMFC MEAs Fabricated by Various Methods," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 52(5), 558-563(2014). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2014.52.5.558
- Park, S. K. and Popov, B. N., "Effect of Membrane-electrodeassembly Configuration on Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Performance," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 31(8), 1384-1388(2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-014-0037-z
- Park, S. M. and T. J. O'Brien, "Effects of Several Trace Contaminants on Fuel Cell Performance," Technical Report (# DOE/METC/RI-80/16), Department of Energy, Morgantown, WV, USA, 1979.
- P. R. Hayter, P. Mitchell, R. A. J. Dams, C. Dudfield, and N. Gladding, "The Effect of Contaminants in the Fuel and Air Streams on the Performance of a Solid Polymer Fuel Cell," Contract Report (ETSUF/02/00126/REP), Wellman CJB Limited, Portsmouth, UK, 1997.
Lee, H. and Song, J. H., "Decrease of PEMFC Performance by
$SO_2$in Air," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 48(3), 311-315(2010).
- Lee, H. and Song, J. H., "Decrease of PEMFC Performance by Toluene in Air," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 49(1), 15-20(2011). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2011.49.1.015
- Murthy, M., Esayian, M., Lee, W. K. and Van Zee J. W., "The Effect of Temperature and Pressure on the Performance of a PEMFC Exposed to Transient CO Concentrations," J. Electrochem. Soc., 150, A29-A34(2003). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1522383
Giorgi, L., Pozio, A., Bracchini, C., Giorgi, R. and Turtu, S., "
$H_2$and $H_2$/CO Oxidation Mechanism on Pt/C, Ru/C and Pt-Ru/C Electrocatalysts," J. Appl. Electrochem., 31(3) 325-334(2001). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017595920726
- Fuel Cell Handbook, 5th ed. US Department of Energy, West Virginia, 2000.
- Loucka, T., "Adsorption and Oxidation of Sulfur and of Sulfur Dioxide at the Platinum Electrode," J. Electroanal. Chem., 31(2), 319-332(1971). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0728(71)80162-6
- Contractor, A. Q. and Lal, H., "Two Forms of Chemisorbed Sulfur on Platinum and Related Studies," J. Electroanal. Chem., 96(2), 175-181(1979). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0728(79)80374-5
- Mohtadi, R., Lee, W. K. and Van Zee, J. W., "The Effect of Temperature on the Adsorption Rate of Hydrogen Sulfide on Pt Anodes in a PEMFC," Appl. Catal. B: Environmental, 56, 37-42(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2004.08.012
- Shi, W., Yi, B., Hou, M., Jing, F., Yu, H. and Ming, P., "The Influence of Hydrogen Sulfide on Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Anodes," J. Power Sources, 164, 272-277(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.09.073
Shi, W., Yi, B., Hou, M. and Shao, Z., "The Effect of
$H_2S$and CO Mixtures on PEMFC Performance," J. Hydrogen Energy, 32(17), 4412-4417(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.06.029
- Knight, S., Jia, N., Chuy, C. and Zhang, J., "Fuel Cell Seminar 2005: Fuel Cell Progress," Challenges and Markets, Palm Springs, California (2005).
- Shah, A. A. and Walsh, F. C., "A Model for Hydrogen Sulfide Poisoning in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells," J. Power Sources, 185(1) 287-301(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2008.06.082
Li, L. and King, D. L., "
$H_2S$Removal with ZnO During Fuel Processing for PEM Fuel Cell Applications," Catalysis Today, 116(4), 537-541(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2006.06.024
Pillay, D., Johannes, M. D., "Comparison of Sulfur Interaction with Hydrogen on Pt(111), Ni(111) and
$Pt_3Ni(111)$Surfaces: The Effect of Intermetallic Bonding," Surface Science, 602, 2752-2757 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.susc.2008.06.035
- Mohtadi, R., Lee, W. K. and Murthy, M., "Effects of Hydrogen Sulfide on the Performance of a PEMFC," Electrochem. Solid-State Letters, 6(12) A272-A274(2003). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1621831
- Sim, W. J. and Kim, D. H., "Effects of Ru/C Catalyst on the CO Tolerance of Anode and Durability of Membrane in PEMFC," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 46(2), 286-290(2008).
- Mohtadi, R. and Van Zee, J. W., "Assessing Durability of Cathodes Exposed to Common Air Impurities," J. Power Sources, 138, 216-225(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004.06.036
- Kakati, B. K. and Kucernak, R. J., Gas Phase Recovery of Hydrogen Sulfide Contaminated Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells," J. Power Sources, 252, 317-326(2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.11.077