- Volume 23 Issue 2
The effects of plaster on the behavior of single-story single-bay masonry-infilled steel frames under in-plane base accelerations have been experimentally investigated by a shake-table. Tested structures were made in a 1/3 scale, with realistic material properties and construction methods. Steel frames with high and low flexural rigidity of beams and columns were considered. Each type of frame was tested with three variants of masonry: (i) non-plastered masonry; (ii) masonry infill with conventional plaster on both sides; and (iii) masonry infill with a polyvinyl chloride (PVC) net reinforced plaster on both sides. Masonry bricks were made of lightweight cellular concrete. Each frame was firstly successively exposed to horizontal base accelerations of an artificial accelerogram, and afterwards, to horizontal base accelerations of a real earthquake. Characteristic displacements, strains and cracks in the masonry were established for each applied excitation. It has been concluded that plaster strengthens the infill and prevents damages in it, which results in more favorable behavior and increased bearing capacity of plastered masonry-infilled frames compared to non-plastered masonry-infilled frames. The load-bearing contribution of the adopted PVC net in the plaster was not noticeable for the tested specimens, probably due to relative small cross section area of fibers in the net. Behavior of masonry-infilled steel frames significantly depends on frame stiffness. Strong frames have smaller displacements than weak frames, which reduces deformations and damages of an infill.
- Al-Chaar, G.K. and Hasan, H.A. (2002), "Dynamic response and seismic testing of CMU walls rehabilitated with composite material applied to only one side", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Structures and Buildings, 152(2), 135-146. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2002.152.2.135
- Bairrao, R. and Falcao Silva, M.J. (2009), "Shaking table tests of two different reinforcement techniques using polymeric grids on an asymmetric limestone full-scaled structure", Eng. Struct., 31(6), 1321-1330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.04.039
- Basaran, H., Demir, A., Bagci, M. and Ercan, E. (2014), "Shaking table study of masonry buildings with reinforced plaster", Gradjevinar, 66(7), 625-633.
- Benedetti, D., Carydis, P. and Pezzoli, P. (1998), "Shaking table tests on 24 simple masonry buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 27(1), 67-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199801)27:1<67::AID-EQE719>3.0.CO;2-K
- De Santis, S., Casadei, P., De Canio, G., de Felice, G., Malena, M., Mongelli, M. and Roselli, I. (2016), "Seismic performance of masonry walls retrofitted with steel reinforced grout", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 45(2), 229-251. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2625
- Emami, S.M.M. and Mohammadi, M. (2016), "Influence of vertical load on in-plane behavior of masonry infilled steel frames", Earthq. Struct., Int. J., 11(4), 609-627. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.609
- HRN EN 1998-1:2011 (2011), Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization, (EN 1998-1:2004+AC:2009).
- Juhasova, E., Sofronie, R. and Bairrao, R. (2008), "Stone masonry in historical buildings - Ways to increase their resistance and durability", Eng. Struct., 30(8), 2194-2205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.07.008
- Koutromanos, I., Kyriakides, M., Stavridis, A., Billington, S. and Shing, P.B. (2013), "Shake-table tests of a 3-story masonryinfilled RC frame retrofitted with composite materials", J. Struct. Eng., 139(8), 1340-1351. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000689
- Santhi, M.H., Knight, G.M.S. and Muthumani, K. (2005), "Evaluation of seismic response of soft-storey infilled frames", Comput. Concrete, Int. J., 2(6), 423-437. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2005.2.6.423
- Shing, P.B., Koutromanos, I. and Stavridis, A. (2013), "Seismic performance of masonry-infilled RC frames with and without retrofit", J. Earthq. Tsunami, 7(3), Article No. 1350023.
- Software SIMQKE (2016), The Earthquake Engineering Online Archive, University of California, Berkley, CA, USA. http://nisee.berkeley.edu/elibrary/
- Stempniewski, L., Mowrtage, W. and Urban, M. (2014), "Seismic collapse prevention of Non-Structural infill masonry using eqtop: an easy earthquake fibre retrofitting system", Arab. J. Sci. Eng., 39(3), 1599-1605. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-013-0793-9
- Zarnic, R. (1994), "Experimental investigation of the R/C frame infilled by masonry wall," Int. J. Eng. Model., 7(1-2), 37-45.
Supported by : Ministry of Science, Education and Sport of Croatia