- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of aging and freezing/thawing sequence on quality attributes of bovine Mm. gluteus medius and biceps femoris
- Kim, Hyun-Wook (Meat Science and Muscle Biology Laboratory, Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University) ;
- Kim, Yuan H. Brad (Meat Science and Muscle Biology Laboratory, Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University)
- Received : 2016.04.09
- Accepted : 2016.07.28
- Published : 2017.02.01
Objective: The effects of aging and freezing/thawing sequence on color, physicochemical, and enzymatic characteristics of two beef muscles (Mm. gluteus medius, GM and biceps femoris, BF) were evaluated. Methods: Beef muscles at 3 d postmortem were assigned to four different combinations of aging and freezing/thawing sequence as follows; aging at
Supported by : USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- Leygonie C, Britz TJ, Hoffman LC. Impact of freezing and thawing on the quality of meat: Review. Meat Sci 2012;91:93-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.01.013
- Kim, YHB, Frandsen M, Rosenvold K. Effect of ageing prior to freezing on colour stability of ovine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci 2011a;88:332-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.12.020
- Kim HW, Lee ES, Choi YS, et al. Effects of aging period prior to freezing on meat quality of Hanwoo muscle (longissimus dorsi). Korean J Food Sci An 2011b;31:799-806. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.6.799
- Kim YHB, Luc G, Rosenvold K. Pre rigor processing, ageing and freezing on tenderness and colour stability of lamb loins. Meat Sci 2013;95:412-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.05.017
- Crouse JD, Koohmaraie M. Effect of freezing of beef on subsequent postmortem aging and shear force. J Food Sci 1990;55:573-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb06819.x
- Grayson AL, King DA, Shackelford SD, Koohmaraie M, Wheeler TL. Freezing and thawing or freezing, thawing, and aging effects on beef tenderness. J Anim Sci 2014;92:2735-40. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7613
- Morgan JB, Savell JW, Hale DS, et al. National beef tenderness survey. J Anim Sci 1991;69:3274-83. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6983274x
- Hergenreder JE, Hosch JJ, Varnold KA, et al. The effects of freezing and thawing rates on tenderness, sensory quality and retail display of beef subprimals. J Anim Sci 2013;91:483-90. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5223
- AMSA. Meat color measurement guidelines. Champaign, IL: Am Meat Science Association; 2012.
- Lee MS, Apple JK, Yancey JWS, Sawyer JT, Johnson ZB. Influence of vacuum-aging period on bloom development of the beef gluteus medius from top sirloin butts. Meat Sci 2008;80:592-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.02.006
- Honikel KO. Reference methods for the assessment of physical characteristics of meat. Meat Sci 1998;49:447-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00034-5
- Renerre M, Dumont F, Gatellier P. Antioxidant enzyme activities in beef in relation to oxidation of lipid and myoglobin. Meat Sci 1996;43:111-21.
- Kang SM, Kang GH, Seong PN, et al. Evaluation of the activities of antioxidant enzyme and lysosomal enzymes of the longissimus dorsi muscle from Hanwoo (Korean cattle) in various freezing conditions. Korean J Food Sci An 2014;34:742-8. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.6.742
- Flohe L, Gunzler WA. Assays of glutathione peroxidase. In: Packer L, editor. Methods in enzymology. London: Academic Press, Inc.; 1984. p. 114-121.
- Benjakul S, Visessanguan W, Thongkaew C, Tanaka M. Comparative study on physicochemical changes of muscle proteins from some tropical fish during frozen storage. Food Res Int 2003;36:787-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(03)00073-5
- Farouk MM, Mustafa MN, Wu G, Krsinic G. The "sponge effect" hypothesis: An alternative explanation of the improvement in the waterholding capacity of meat with ageing. Meat Sci 2012;90: 670-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.10.012
- Kim YHB, Liesse C, Kemp R, Balan P. Evaluation of combined effects of ageing period and freezing rate on quality attributes of beef loins. Meat Sci 2015;110:40-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.06.015
- Ballin NZ. Lametsch R. Analytical methods for authentication of fresh vs. thawed meat - A review. Meat Sci 2008;80:151-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.12.024
- Toldra F, Torrero Y, Flores J. Simple test for differentiation between fresh pork and frozen/thawed pork. Meat Sci 1990;29:177-181.
- Kirchofer KS, Calkins CR, Gwartney BL. Fiber-type composition of muscles of the beef chuck and round. J Anim Sci 2002;80:2872-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80112872x
- Ellerbroek LI, Lichtenberg G, Weise E. Differentiation between fresh and thawed meat by an enzyme profile test. Meat Sci 1995;40: 203-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)00052-9
- Physicochemical properties of horse meat as affected by breed, sex, age, muscle type and aging period vol.58, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN17156