- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Black gram (Vigna Mungo L.) foliage supplementation to crossbred cows: effects on feed intake, nutrient digestibility and milk production
- Dey, Avijit (Regional Research Sub-station and Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya) ;
- De, Partha Sarathi (Department of Botany, Sonamukhi College, University of Burdwan) ;
- Gangopadhyay, Prabir Kumar (Regional Research Sub-station and Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya)
- Received : 2016.04.11
- Accepted : 2016.05.30
- Published : 2017.02.01
Objective: An experiment was conducted to examine the effect of dietary supplementation of dried and ground foliage of black gram (Vigna mungo L.) on feed intake and utilization, and production performance of crossbred lactating cows. Methods: Eighteen lactating crossbred (Bos taurus
Black Gram Foliage;Intake;Nutrient Digestibility;Milk Yield;Cows
Supported by : Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Leng R, Preston T. Nutritional strategies for the utilization of agro-industrial by-products by ruminants and extension of the principles and technologies to the small farmer in Asia. In: New strategies for improving animal production for human welfare: proceedings/the Fifth World Conference on Animal Production, August 14-19, 1983; 1983: Tokyo, Japan: Japanese Society of Zootechnical Science, 1983.
- Ma T, Tu Y, Zhang N, Deng K, Diao Q. Effect of the ratio of non-fibrous carbohydrates to neutral detergent fiber and protein structure on intake, digestibility, rumen fermentation, and nitrogen metabolism in lambs. Asian-Australa J Anim Sci 2015;28:1419-26. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0025
- Urdaneta AB, Fondevila M, Balcells J, Dapoza C, Castrillo C. In vitro microbial digestion of straw cell wall polysaccharides in response to supplementation with different sources of carbohydrates. Crop and Pasture Sci 2000;51:393-400. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR99079
- Wanapat M, Kang S, Polyorach S. Development of feeding systems and strategies of supplementation to enhance rumen fermentation and ruminant production in the tropics. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 2013;4:32. https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-1891-4-32
- CSIR. A dictionary of Indian raw materials & industrial products. Raw materials. In: Research CoSaI, editor. The Wealth of India. New Delhi: Council of Scientific and Industrial Research; 1976. p. 591.
- Jensen PCM. Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper. In: Brink M and Belay G, editors. Record from Protabase. PROTA (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa/Ressources vegetales de l'Afrique tropicale), Wageningen, Netherlands; 2006.
- Arulnathan N, Murugan M, Balakrishnan V. Proximate principles, Fibre fraction and Mineral content of Black gram husk (Vigna mungo). Int J Livest Res 2013;3:24-30.
- Kearl LC. Nutrient requirements of ruminants in developing countries: International Feedstuffs Institute; 1982.
- AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis. Wasington, DC: Association of Official Analytical Chemists; 1995.
- Van Soest PV, Robertson J, Lewis B. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- ISI. Chemical analysis of milk, part II. Indian Standards Methods of test for dairy industry. New Delhi, India: Indian Standards Institute; 1961.
- Snedecor GW, Cochran WC. Statistical Methods. 8th ed. New Delhi, India: East West Press Pvt. Ltd; 1994.
- Krishnamoorthy U, Soller H, Steingass H, Menke K. Energy and protein evaluation of tropical feedstuffs for whole tract and ruminal digestion by chemical analyses and rumen inoculum studies in vitro. Anim Feed Sci Technol 1995;52:177-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00734-5
- Dey A, Dutta N, Sharma K, Pattanaik AK. Effect of dietary inclusion of Ficus infectoria leaves as a protectant of proteins on the performance of lambs. Small Rumin Res 2008;75:105-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2007.06.013
- Dey A, De PS. Influence of condensed tannins from Ficus bengalensis leaves on feed utilization, milk production and antioxidant status of crossbred cows. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2014;27: 342-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13295
- Ranjhan SK. Animal nutrition and feeding practices. 6 ed. New Delhi, India: Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd; 2004.
- Dey A, Dutta N, Sharma K, Pattanaik AK. Response of dairy cows to dietary supplementation of condensed tannins through Ficus infectoria leaves. Indian J Anim Sci 2009;79:58.
- Dey A, Paul SS, Pandey P, Rathore R. Potential of Moringa oleifera leaves in modulating in vitro methanogenesis and fermentation of wheat straw in buffalo. Indian J Anim Sci 2014;84:533-8.
- Islam M, Sarker N, Islam M. Effect of feeding legume forage with straw supplementation on milk production at Pabna milk shed area. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 1995;8:107-11. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1995.107
- Kumar S, Garg M. Nutritional evaluation of Black gram straw (Phaseolus Mungo) in Hurrah heifers. Indian J Anim Nutr 1995; 12:181-2.
- Saran S, Singh R, Singh R, Rani SI, Singh K. Feed resources for rearing livestock in the Bundelkhand region of Uttar Pradesh. Indian J Anim Sci 2000;70:526-9.
- Krause DO, Denman SE, Mackie RI, et al. Opportunities to improve fiber degradation in the rumen: microbiology, ecology, and genomics. FEMS Microbiol Rev 2003;27:663-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-6445(03)00072-X