- Volume 30 Issue 2
Objective: The feed intake (FI) and feed efficiency are economically important traits in ducks. To obtain insight into this economically important trait, we designed an experiment based on the residual feed intake (RFI) and feed conversion ratio (FCR) of a random population Pekin duck. Methods: Two thousand and twenty pedigreed random population Pekin ducks were established from 90 males mated to 450 females in two hatches. Traits analyzed in the study were body weight at the 42th day (BW42), 15 to 42 days average daily gain (ADG), 15 to 42 days FI, 15 to 42 days FCR, and 15 to 42 days RFI to assess their genetic interrelationships. The genetic parameters for feed efficiency traits were estimated using restricted maximum likelihood (REML) methodology applied to a sire-dam model for all traits using the ASREML software. Results: Estimates heritability of BW42, ADG, FI, FCR, and RFI were 0.39, 0.38, 0.33, 0.38, and 0.41, respectively. The genetic correlation was high between RFI and FI (0.77) and moderate between RFI and FCR (0.54). The genetic correlation was high and moderate between FCR and ADG (-0.80), and between FCR and BW42 (-0.64), and between FCR and FI (0.49), respectively. Conclusion: Thus, selection on RFI was expected to improve feed efficiency, and reduce FI. Selection on RFI thus improves the feed efficiency of animals without impairing their FI and increase growth rate.
Genetic Parameters;Residual Feed Intake;Pekin Duck
- Zhang W, Aggrey S. Genetic variation in feed utilization efficiency of meat-type chickens. World's Poult Sci J 2003;59:328-39. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS20030020
- Koch RM, Swiger L, Chambers D, Gregory K. Efficiency of feed use in beef cattle. J Anim Sci 1963;22:486-94. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1963.222486x
- Bordas A, Merat P. Genetic variation and phenotypic correlations of food consumption of laying hens corrected for body weight and production. Br Poult Sci 1981;22:25-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071688108447860
- Archer JA, Pitchford WS, Hughes TE, Parnell PF. Genetic and phenotypic relationships between food intake, growth, efficiency and body composition of mice post weaning and at maturity. Anim Sci 1998;67:171-82. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800009917
- Gilbert H, Bidanel J-P, Gruand J, et al. Genetic parameters for residual feed intake in growing pigs, with emphasis on genetic relationships with carcass and meat quality traits. J Anim Sci 2007;85:3182-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-590
- Cai W, Casey D, Dekkers J. Selection response and genetic parameters for residual feed intake in Yorkshire swine. J Anim Sci 2008;86:287-98. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0396
- Drouilhet L, Gilbert H, Balmisse E, et al. Genetic parameters for two selection criteria for feed efficiency in rabbits. J Anim Sci 2013;91:3121-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-6176
- Aggrey SE, Karnuah AB, Sebastian B, Anthony NB. Genetic properties of feed efficiency parameters in meat-type chickens. Genet Sel Evol 2010;42:1-5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-42-1
- Arthur P, Archer J, Johnston D, Herd R, Richardson E, Parnell P. Genetic and phenotypic variance and covariance components for feed intake, feed efficiency, and other postweaning traits in Angus cattle. J Anim Sci 2001;79:2805-11. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79112805x
- Schenkel F, Miller S, Wilton J. Genetic parameters and breed differences for feed efficiency, growth, and body composition traits of young beef bulls. Can J Anim Sci 2004;84:177-85. https://doi.org/10.4141/A03-085
- Cruz GD, Rodriguez-Sanchez JA, Oltjen JW, Sainz RD. Performance, residual feed intake, digestibility, carcass traits, and profitability of Angus-Hereford steers housed in individual or group pens. J Anim Sci 2010;88:324-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-1932
- Durunna ON, Wang Z, Basarab JA, Okine EK, Moore SS. Phenotypic and genetic relationships among feeding behavior traits, feed intake, and residual feed intake in steers fed grower and finisher diets. J Anim Sci 2011;89:3401-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-3867
- Durunna ON, Colazo MG, Ambrose DJ, Mccartney D, Baron VS, Basarab JA. Evidence of residual feed intake reranking in crossbred replacement heifers. J Anim Sci 2012;90:734-41. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4264
- Mrode R, Kennedy B. Genetic variation in measures of food efficiency in pigs and their genetic relationships with growth rate and backfat. Anim Prod 1993;56:225-32. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100021309
- Le NT, Le FHN, Louveau I, Gilbert H, Gondret F. Metabolic changes and tissue responses to selection on residual feed intake in growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2012;90:4771-80. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5226
- SAS (Statistical Analysis System) Insitute Inc. SAS User's Guide: Version 8.12. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institue Inc.; 1998.
- Gilmour, AR, Gogel BJ, Cullis BR, Thompson R. ASREML User Guide. Release 3.0. Hemel Hempstead, UK: VSN International Ltd; 2009.
- Hofer A. Variance component estimation in animal breeding: a review. J Anim Breed Genet 1998;115:247-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.1998.tb00347.x
- Atchley WR, Gaskins CT, Anderson D. Statistical properties of ratios. I. Empirical results. Syst Biol 1976;25:137-48.
- Fan B, Lkhagvadorj S, Cai W, et al. Identification of genetic markers associated with residual feed intake and meat quality traits in the pig. Meat Sci 2010;84:645-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.10.025
- Aggrey SE, Karnuah AB, Sebastian B, Anthony NB. Research Genetic properties of feed efficiency parameters in meat-type chickens. Genet Sel Evol 2010;42:25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-42-25
- Case LA, Wood BJ, Miller SP. The genetic parameters of feed efficiency and its component traits in the turkey (Meleagris gallopavo). Genet Sel Evol 2012;44:2. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-44-2
- Hoque M, Kadowaki H, Shibata T, Oikawa T, Suzuki K. Genetic parameters for measures of residual feed intake and growth traits in seven generations of Duroc pigs. Livest Sci 2009;121:45-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.05.016
- Herd R, Bishop S. Genetic variation in residual feed intake and its association with other production traits in British Hereford cattle. Livest Prod Sci 2000;63:111-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00122-0
- Arthur P, Renand G, Krauss D. Genetic and phenotypic relationships among different measures of growth and feed efficiency in young Charolais bulls. Livest Prod Sci 2001;68:131-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00243-8
- Genetic parameters of feed efficiency traits and their relationships with egg quality traits in laying period of ducks vol.97, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex337
- Relationship between Residual Feed Intake and Production Traits in a Population of F2 Ducks vol.56, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.0180008