- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Genetic effects of sterol regulatory element binding proteins and fatty acid-binding protein4 on the fatty acid composition of Korean cattle (Hanwoo)
- Oh, Dong-Yep (Livestock Research institute) ;
- Lee, Jea-Young (Department of Statistics, Yeungnam University) ;
- Jang, Ji-Eun (Department of Statistics, Yeungnam University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Uk (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore)
- Received : 2016.04.04
- Accepted : 2016.08.03
- Published : 2017.02.01
Objective: This study identifies single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) or gene combinations that affect the flavor and quality of Korean cattle (Hanwoo) by using the SNP Harvester method. Methods: Four economic traits (oleic acid [C18:1], saturated fatty acids), monounsaturated fatty acids, and marbling score) were adjusted for environmental factors in order to focus solely on genetic effects. The SNP Harvester method was used to investigate gene combinations (two-way gene interactions) associated with these economic traits. Further, a multifactor dimensionality reduction method was used to identify superior genotypes in gene combinations. Results: Table 3 to 4 show the analysis results for differences between superior genotypes and others for selected major gene combinations using the multifactor dimensionality reduction method. Environmental factors were adjusted for in order to evaluate only the genetic effect. Table 5 shows the adjustment effect by comparing the accuracy before and after correction in two-way gene interactions. Conclusion: The g.3977-325 T>C and (g.2988 A>G, g.3977-325 T>C) combinations of fatty acid-binding protein4 were the superior gene, and the superior genotype combinations across all economic traits were the CC genotype at g.3977-325 T>C and the AACC, GACC, GGCC genotypes of (g.2988 A>G, g.3977-325 T>C).
Fatty Acid-binding Protein4 (FABP4);Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP);SNP Harvester;Sterol Regulatory Element Binding Proteins (SREBPs);Hanwoo
- Van der Wal PG, Engel B, Hulsegge B. Causes for variation in pork quality. Meat Sci 1997;46:319-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00026-0
- Robins K, Jensen J, Ryan KJ, et al. Consumer attitude towards beef and acceptability of enhanced beef. Meat Sci 2003;65:721-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00274-7
- Monson F, Sanudo C, Sierra I. Influence of breed and ageing time on sensory meat quality and consumer acceptability in intensively reared beef. Meat Sci 2005;71:471-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.026
- Melton SL, Amiri M, Davis GW, Backus WR. Flavor and chemical characteristics of ground beef from grass-, forage-grain and grain- finished steers. Anim Sci J 1982;55:77-87. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1982.55177x
- Sturdivant CA, Lunt DK, Smith GC, Smith SB. Fatty acid composition of subcutaneous and intramuscular adipose tissues and M. longissimus dorsi of Wagyu cattle. Meat Sci 1991;32:449-58.
- Jeremiah LE. The influence of subcutaneous fat thickness and marbling on beef. Food Res Int 1996;29:513-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(96)00049-X
- May SG, Sturdivant CA, Lunt DK, Miller RK, Smith SB. Comparison of sensory characteristics and fatty acid composition between wagyu crossbred and Angus steers. Meat Sci 1993;35:289-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(93)90034-F
- Oka A, Iwaki F, Dohgo T, et al. Genetic effects on fatty acid composition of carcass fat of Japanese Black Wagyu steers. Anim Sci J 2002;80:1005-11. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8041005x
- Chung KY, Lunt DK, Kawachi H, Yano H, Smith SB. Lipogenesis and stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene expression and enzyme activity in adipose tissue of short- and long-fed Angus and Wagyu steers fed corn- or hay-based diets. J Anim Sci 2007;85:380-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-087
- Yosimura T, Namikawa K. Influence of breed, sex and anatomical location on lipid and fatty acid composition of bovine subcutaneous fat. Jpn J Zootech Sci 1983;54:97-100.
- Taniguchi M, Utsugi T, Oyama K, et al. Genotype of stearoyl - CoA desaturase is associated with fatty acid composition in Japanese Black cattle. Mamm Genome 2004;14:142-8.
- Havel R, Shore V, Bier D. Role of specific peptides of serum liporoteins in the action of lipoprotein lipase. Circl 1970;41:111-6.
- Gotoda T, Yamada N, Kawamura M, et al. Heterogeneous mutations in the human lipoprotein lipase gene in patients with familial lipoprotein lipase deficiency. J Clin Invest 1991;88:1856-64. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI115507
- Barton L, Kott T, Bures D, et al. The polymorphism of stearoyl- CoA desaturase (SCD1) and sterol regulatory element binding proyein-1 (SREBP-1) genes and their association with the fatty acid profile of muscle and subcutaneous fat in Fleckvieh bulls. Meat Sci 2010;85:15-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.11.016
- Ohsaki H, Tanaka A, Hoashi S, et al. Effect of SCD and SREBP genotypes on fatty acid composition in adipose tissue of Japanese Black cattle herds. Anim Sci J 2009;80:225-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00638.x
- Jin MH, Oh DY, Lee JY. Major gene identification for LPL gene in Korean cattles. J Korean Data Inf Sci Soc 2013;24:1331-9.
- Oh DY, Jin MH, Lee YS, et al. Identification of stearoyl-coa desaturase (SCD) gene interactions in Korean Native cattle based on the multifactor-dimensionality reduction method. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2013;26:1218-28. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13058
- Lee J, Jin M, Lee Y, et al. Gene-gene interactions of fatty acid synthase (FASN) using multifactor-dimensionality reduction method in Korean cattle. Mol Biol Rep 2014;41:2021-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-014-3050-8
- Chmurzynska A.The multigene family of fatty acid-binding proteins (FABPs): function, structure and polymorphism. J Appl Genet 2006;47:39-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03194597
- Hoashi S, Ashida N, Ohsaki H, et al. Genotype of bovine sterol regulatory element binding protein-1(SREBP-1) is associated with fatty acid composition in Japanese Black cattle. Mamm Genome 2007;18:880-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00335-007-9072-y
- Oh D, Lee Y, Lee C, Chung E, Yeo J. Association of bovine fatty acid composition with missense necleotide polymorphism in exon7 of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma gene. Anim Genet 2012;43:474-481.
- Oh DY. Identification of the SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism) within candidate gene associated with fatty composition in Hanwoo [dissertation]. Kyungsan, KR: Yeungnam University; 2014.
- Yang C, He Z, Wan X, et al. SNP Harvester a filtering-based approach for detecting epistatic interactions in genome-wide association studies. Bioinformatics 2009;25:504-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btn652
- Hahn LW, Ritchie MD, Moore JH. Multifactor dimensionality reduction software for detecting gene-gene and gene-environment interactions. Bioinformatics 2003;19:376-82. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btf869
- Folch J, Lees M, Sloane Stanley GH. A simple method for the isolation and purification of 12 total lipids from animal tissue. J Biol Chem 1957;226:497-509.
- O’Keefe PW, Wellington GH, Mattick LR, Stouffer JR. Composition of bovine muscle lipids at various carcass locations. J Food Sci 1968;33:188-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1968.tb01347.x
- Oh D, Lee Y, La B, et al. Fatty acid composition of beef is associated with exonic nucleotide variants of the gene encoding FASN. Mol Biol Rep 2012;39:4083-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-1190-7
- Vreeland WN, Meagher RJ, Barron AE. Multiplexed, highthroughput genotype by single_base extension and endlabeled free_solution electrophoresis. Anal Chem 2002;74:4328-33. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac0258094
- Matsuhashi T, Maruyama S, Uemoto Y, et al. Effect of bovine fatty acid synthase, stearoyl-coenzyme a desaturase, sterol regulatory element-binding protein 1, and growth hormone gene polymorphisms on fatty acid composition and carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. J Anim Sci 2011;89:12-22. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3121
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2th ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1998