- Volume 61 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Weibull distribution based constitutive model for nonlinear analysis of RC beams
- Murthy, A. Ramachandra (CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre) ;
- Priya, D. Shanmuga (Dhanalakshmi College of Engineering)
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.10.31
- Published : 2017.02.25
Reinforced concrete is a complex material to be modeled in finite element domain. A proper material model is necessary to represent the nonlinear behaviour accurately. Though the nonlinear analysis of RC structures evolved long back, still an accurate and reliable model to predict the realistic behaviour of components are limited. It is observed from literature that there are three well-known models to represent the nonlinear behaviour of concrete. These models include Chu model (1985), Hsu model (1994) and Saenz model (1964).A new stress-strain model based on Weibull distribution has been proposed in the present study. The objective of the present study is to analyze a reinforced concrete beam under flexural loading by employing all the models. Nonlinear behaviour of concrete is considered in terms of stress vs. strain, damage parameter, tension stiffening behaviour etc. The ductility of the RC beams is computed by using deflection based and energy based concepts. Both deflection ductility and energy based ductility is compared and energy based concept is found to be in good correlation with the experiments conducted. The behavior of RC beam predicted using ABAQUS has been compared with the corresponding experimental observations. Comparison between numerical and experimental results confirms that these four constitutive models are reliable in predicting the behaviour of RC structures and any of the models can be employed for analysis.
Supported by : CSIR-SERC
- Ahmed Shuraim, B. (2012), "Numerical forensic model for the diagnosis of a full-scale RC floor", Latin Am. J. Solid. Struct., 1, 1-19.
- Albegmprli, H.M., Cevik, A., Gulsan, M.E. and Kurtoglu, A.E. (2015), "Reliability analysis of reinforced concrete haunched beams shear capacity based on stochastic nonlinear FE analysis", Comput. Concrete, 15(2), 259-277. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.15.2.259
- Alwathaf, A.H., Ali, A., Jaafar, M.S. and Algorafi, M.A. (2011), "Stress-strain modelling of reinforced concrete membrane structures", Int. J. Phys. Sci., 6(30), 6820-6828.
- Ayub, T., Shafiq, N. and Nuruddin, M.F. (2014), "Stress-strain response of high strength concrete and application of the existing models", Res. J. App. Sci. Eng. Tech., 8(10), 1174-1190.
- Bahrami, A., Badaruzzaman, W.H.W. and Osman, S.A. (2014), "Numerical study of concrete-filled steel composite stub columns with steel stiffeners", Latin Am. J. Solid. Struct., 11, 683-703. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-78252014000400008
- Bathe, K.J., Walczak, J., Welch, A. and Mistry, N. (1989), "Nonlinear analysis of concrete structures", Comput. Struct., 32(3), 563-590. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(89)90347-7
- Bencardino, F. and Condello, A. (2016), "3D FE Analysis of RC beams externally strengthened with SRG/SRP systems", Fiber., 4(19), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3390/fib4010001
- Carreira, D.J. and Chu, K.H. (1985), "Stress-strain relationship for plain concrete in compression", J. Am. Concrete. I., 82(6), 797-804.
- Dawari, V.B. and Vesmawala, G.R. (2014), "Application of nonlinear concrete model for finite element analysis of reinforced concrete beams", Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 5(9), 776-782.
- Hsu, T.T. (1994), "Unified theory of reinforced concrete-a summary", Struct. Eng. Mech., 2(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.1994.2.1.001
- Hu, H.T., Lin, F.M., Liu, H.T., Huang, Y.F. and Pan, T.C. (2010), "Constitutive modeling of reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete structures strengthened by fiber-reinforced plastics", Compos. Struct., 92, 1640-1650. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2009.11.030
- Hu, H.T. and Schnobrich, W.C. (1989), "Constitutive modeling of concrete by using non-associated plasticity", J. Mater. Civil. Eng., ASCE, 1(4), 199-216. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1989)1:4(199)
- Koksal, H.O. (2006), "A failure criterion for RC members under triaxial compression", Struct. Eng. Mech., 24(2), 137-154. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2006.24.2.137
- Kwak, H.G. and Kim, S.P. (2001), "Nonlinear analysis of RC beam subject to cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 127(12), 1436-1444. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:12(1436)
- Mattar, I.S.A.I. (2016), "Nonlinear FE model for RC beams shearstrengthened with FRP", Mag. Concrete Res., 68(1), 12-23. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.14.00369
- Murthy, A.R., Palani, G.S., Gopinath, S., Kumar, V.R. and Iyer, N.R. (2013), "An improved concrete damage model for impact analysis of concrete structural components by using finite element method", CMC: Comput. Mater. Continua, 37(2), 77-96.
- Murthy, A.R., Karihaloo, B.L., Iyer, N.R. and Prasad, B.R. (2013), "Bilinear tension softening diagrams of concrete mixes corresponding to their size-independent specific fracture energy", Constr. Build. Mater., 47, 1160-1166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.06.004
- Park, K., Paulino, G.H. and Roesler, J.R. (2008), "Determination of the kink point in the bilinear softening model for concrete", Eng. Fract. Mech., 75, 3806-3818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2008.02.002
- Peiying, G., Chang, D. and Lei, T. (2012), "Determination of local damage probability in concrete structure", Procedia Eng., 28, 489-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.01.756
- Rajagopal, S., Prabavathy, S. and Kang, T.H.K. (2014), "Seismic behavior evaluation of exterior beam-column joints with headed or hooked bars using nonlinear finite element analysis", Earthq. Struct., 7(5), 861-875. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.861
- Sankar Jegadesh, J.S. and Jayalekshmi, S. (2014), "Numerical analysis of RC shear critical beams", Int. J. Struct. Civil Eng. Res., 3(1), 69-75.
- Sinaei, H., Shariati, M., Abna, A.H., Aghaei, M. and Shariati, A. (2012), "Evaluation of reinforced concrete beam behaviour using finite element analysis by ABAQUS", Scientif. Res. Essay., 7(21), 2002-2009.
- Wahalathantri, B.L., Thambiratnam, D.P., Chan, T.H.T. and Fawzia, S. (2011), "A material model for flexural crack simulation in reinforced concrete elements using ABAQUS", Proc. of International Conference on Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane.
- Yang, K., Li, W. et al., (2016), "Constitution and application of RPC constitutive model", J. Struct. Eng., 2(6), 565-572.
- Yu, M.H. (2006), Generalized Plasticity, Springer Science & Business Media.