- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Increasing plastic hinge length using two pipes in a proposed web reduced beam section, an experimental and numerical study
- Zahrai, Seyed M. (School of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, The University of Tehran) ;
- Mirghaderi, Seyed R. (School of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, The University of Tehran) ;
- Saleh, Aboozar (Department of Civil Engineering, Islamic Azad University Professor Hesabi Branch)
- Received : 2016.10.15
- Accepted : 2017.01.17
- Published : 2017.03.20
Experimental and numerical studies of a newly developed Reduced Beam Section (RBS) connection, called Tubular Web RBS connection (TW-RBS) have been recently conducted. This paper presents experimental and numerical results of extending the plastic hinge length on the beam flange to increase energy dissipation of a proposed version of the TW-RBS connection with two pipes, (TW-RBS(II)), made by replacing a part of flat web with two steel tubular web at the desirable location of the beam plastic hinge. Two deep-beam specimens with two pipes are prepared and tested under cyclic loads. Obtained results reveal that the TW-RBS(II) like its type I, increases story drift capacity up to 6% in deep beam much more than that stipulated by the current seismic codes. Based on test results, the proposed TW-RBS(II) helps to dissipate imposed energy up to 30% more than that of the TW-RBS(I) specimens at the same story drift and also reduces demands at the beam-to-column connection up to 30% by increasing plastic hinge length on the beam flange. The TW-RBS(II) specimens are finally simulated using finite element method showing good agreement with experimental results.
- ABAQUS/PRE (1997), User's manual, Hibbit, Karlsson and Sorensen Inc.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) (2010), Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Ataollahi, S., Banan, M.R. and Banan, M.R. (2016), "Numerical cyclic behavior of T-RBS: A new steel moment connection", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(6), 1251-1264 https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.6.1251
- Eldib, M.E. (2004), "Buckling analysis of beams with corrugated webs", Proceeding of 5th International Conference on Civil and Architecture Engineering (ICCAE Conf), Singapore, May.
- Engelhardt, M., Winneberger, T., Zekany, A. and Potyraj, T. (1998), "Experimental investigation of Dog bone moment connections", Eng. J. AISC. Fourth Quarter, 128-139.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (2000a), FEMA-350, Seismic design criteria for new moment resisting steel frame construction, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (2000b), FEMA-355D, State of the art report on connection performance, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Mirghaderi, S.R., Torabian, S. and Imanpour, A. (2010), "Seismic performance of the accordion-web RBS connection", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66, 277-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.09.007
- Morrison, M., Schweizer, D. and Hassan, T. (2015), "An innovative seismic performance enhancement technique for steel building moment resisting connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 109, 34-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.02.010
- Naeim, F. (2001), The Seismic Design Handbook, (2nd Ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 418 p.
- Pachoumis, D.T., Galoussis, E.G., Kalfas, C.N. and Efthimiou, I.Z. (2010), "Cyclic performance of steel moment-resisting connections with reduced beam sections-experimental analysis and finite element model simulation", Eng. Struct., 32(9), 2683-2692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.04.038
- Saleh, A., Mirghaderi, S.R. and Zahrai, S.M. (2016a), "Cyclic testing of tubular web RBS connections in deep beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 117, 214-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.10.020
- Saleh, A., Zahrai, S.M. and Mirghaderi, S.R. (2016b), "Experimental study on innovative tubular web RBS connections in steel MRFs with typical shallow beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 57(5), 785-808. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.57.5.785
- Tsavdaridis, K.D. and D'Mello, C. (2012), "Optimisation of novel elliptically-based web opening shapes of perforated steel beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 76, 39-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.026
- Wilkinson, S., Hurdman, G. and Crouther, A. (2006), "A moment resisting connection for earthquake resisting structure", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62, 295-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.07.011
- Yang, Q. and Yang, N. (2009), "Seismic behaviors of steel moment resisting frames with opening in beam web", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(6), 1323-1336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.01.007