- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Unrecorded bacterial species belonging to the phylum Actinobacteria originated from Republic of Korea
- Kim, Mi-Sun (Department of Biology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Lee, Ji-Hee (Department of Biology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, Seung-Bum (Department of Microbiology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Jang-Cheon (Department of Biological Sciences, Inha University) ;
- Lee, Soon Dong (Department of Science Education, Jeju National University) ;
- Joh, Ki-seong (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Cha, Chang-Jun (Department of Biotechnology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Im, Wan-Taek (Department of Biotechnology, Hankyong National University) ;
- Bae, Jin-Woo (Department of Biology, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Jahng, Kwangyeop (Department of Life Sciences, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Yi, Hana (Department of Public Health Science & Guro Hospital, Korea University) ;
- Seong, Chi-Nam (Department of Biology, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2016.08.30
- Accepted : 2017.02.07
- Published : 2017.02.28
As a subset study for the collection of Korean indigenous prokaryotic species, 62 bacterial strains belonging to the phylum Actinobacteria were isolated from various sources. Each strain showed higher 16S rRNA gene sequence similarity (>98.75%) and formed a robust phylogenetic clade with closest species of the phylum Actinobacteria which were defined with valid names, already. There is no official description on these 62 actinobacterial species in Korea. Consequently, unrecorded 62 species of 25 genera in the 14 families belonging to the order Actinomycetales of the phylum Actinobacteria were found in Korea. Morphological properties, basic biochemical characteristics, isolation source and strain IDs are described in the species descriptions.
16S rRNA gene sequence;Actinobacteria;Actinomycetales;unrecorded species
Grant : The Survey of Korean Indigenous Species
Supported by : National Institute of Biological Resources
- Bressan, W. 2003. Biological control of maize seed pathogenic fungi by use of actinomycetes. Biocontrol 48(2): 233-240. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022673226324
- Felsenstein, J. 1981. Evolutionary trees from DNA sequences: a maximum likelihood approach. J. Mol. Evol. 17(6): 368-376. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01734359
- Felsenstein, J. 1985. Confidence limit on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39(4):783-791. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1558-5646.1985.tb00420.x
- Fitch, W.M. 1971. Toward defining the course of evolution: minimum change for a specific tree topology. Syst. Zool. 20(4):406-416. https://doi.org/10.2307/2412116
- Hall, T.A. 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95-98.
- Jukes, T.H. and C.R. Cantor. 1969. Evolution of protein molecules. In: H.N. Munro (ed.), Mammalian Protein Metabolism, Academic Press, New York. pp. 21-132.
- Kim, O.S., Y.J. Cho, K. Lee, S.H. Yoon, M. Kim, H. Na, S.C. Park, Y.S. Jeon, J.H. Lee, H. Yi, S. Won and J. Chun. 2012. Introducing EzTaxon-e: a prokaryotic 16S rRNA gene sequence database with phylotypes that represent uncultured species. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 62(3):716-721. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.038075-0
- Ludwig, W., J. Euzeby, P. Schumann, H.J. Busse, M.E. Trujillo, P. Kampfer and W.B. Whiteman. 2012. Road map of the phylum Actinobacteria. In: M. Goodfellow, P. Kampfer, H.J. Busse, M.E. Trujillo, K.I. Suzuki, W. Ludwig and W.B. Whitman (eds.), Bergey's manual of systematic bacteriology, vol 5, Springer-Verlag, New York. pp. 1-28.
- Miao, V. and J. Davies. 2010. Actinobacteria: the good, the bad and the ugly. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 98(2):143-150. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10482-010-9440-6
- Saitou, N. and M. Nei. 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4(4):406-425.
- Servin, J.A., C.W. Herbold, R.G. Skophammer and J.A. Lake. 2008. Evidence excluding the root of the tree of life from the actinobacteria. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25(1):1-4.
- Tamura, K., G. Stecher, D. Peterson, A. Filipski, and S. Kumar. 2013. MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 6.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 30(12):2725-2729. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/mst197
- Thompson, J.D., D.G. Higgins and T.J. Gibson. 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22(22): 4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Ventura, M., C. Canchaya, A. Tauch, G. Chandra, G.F. Fitzgerald, K.F. Chater and D. van Sinderen. 2007. Genomics of Actinobacteria: tracing the evolutionary history of an ancient phylum. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 71(3): 495-548. https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.00005-07