- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Experience of Smoking Cessation Treatment Program in Korea: Results from a Qualitative Study
병의원 금연치료프로그램 참여자의 금연 경험: 질적 연구
- Pyo, Jeehee (Korea Counseling Graduate University) ;
- Ock, Minsu (Korea Counseling Graduate University) ;
- Lee, Jae Wook (Korea Counseling Graduate University) ;
- Han, Young-Joo (Korea Counseling Graduate University) ;
- Jo, Min-Woo (Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Jung Ah (Department of Family Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine)
- 표지희 (한국상담대학원대학교) ;
- 옥민수 (한국상담대학원대학교) ;
- 이재욱 (한국상담대학원대학교) ;
- 한영주 (한국상담대학원대학교) ;
- 조민우 (울산대학교 의과대학 예방의학교실) ;
- 이정아 (울산대학교 의과대학 서울아산병원 가정의학과)
- Received : 2017.07.27
- Accepted : 2017.10.13
- Published : 2017.12.31
Background: The objectives of this study were to identify the reasons of quitting smoking, to determine the factors that make it difficult or helpful to maintain smoking cessation and to confirm the changes after the smoking cessation. Methods: This study was conducted an in-depth interview with people who participated in the smoking cessation treatment program. There were 10 participants and they were interviewed thoroughly for 14 times. Using the directed content analysis, we analyzed the transcript which was written by recording the interview and the researchers' note. Results: The results of this study are summarized as 'the experience while at the verge of smoking cessation and stepping over the verge of smoking cessation,' 'the changing experience due to smoking cessation,' and 'maintaining the changes through overcoming re-smoking.' The smoking cessation treatment program induced the smokers to quit smoking. Participants mentioned drinking alcohol was the major obstacle to maintain smoking cessation. Also, they noted that the money and the time that were already spent to quit smoking helped their smoking cessation as well as the social relations which helped to prevent re-smoking. Participants felt well-cared through the smoking cessation treatment program and that it helped them to maintain smoking cessation. Conclusion: Smoking cessation treatment program has a positive effect on the smoking cessation trial and maintenance. In order for smokers to overcome re-smoking, educations regarding drinking problem, formation of supportive social relationship, and the applications for smoking cessation will be beneficial.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. The health consequences of smoking: 50 years of progress: a report of the Surgeon General. Atalanta (GA): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2014.
- Jung KJ, Yun YD, Baek SJ, Jee SH, Kim IS. Smoking-attributable mortality among Korean adults,2012. J Health Info Stat 2013;38(2):36-49.
- Yoon YD, Lee SM, Baek JH, Kang HR. Alternative benefit strategies in smoking cessation treatment. Wonju: National Health Insurance Service; 2014.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. No smoke guide [Internet]. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare [cited 2017 Aug 27]. Available from: http://www.nosmokeguide.or.kr/mbs/nosmokeguide/.
- Bader P, Boisclair D, Ferrence R. Effects of tobacco taxation and pricing on smoking behavior in high risk populations: a knowledge synthesis. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2011;8(11):4118-4139. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8114118. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8114118
- Cheon GJ. Netizen "welfare without increased tax due to the rise of cigarette's price" decrease of smoking amount and criticisms over tax inflation. The Kukmin llbo. 2015 Jul 12.
- Kwon TH. What are the effects of increase of cigarette's price and the inflation of tax revenue on smoking cessation? The Hankyoreh. 2015 Dec 17.
- Fiore MC, Jaen CR, Baker TB, Bailey WC, Benowitz N, Curry SJ, et al. Treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update: clinical practice guideline. Rockville (MD): US Department of Health and Human Services; 2008.
- Choi EY, Cho HJ, Lee JA, Lee JY, Jung HM, Ock M, et al. Current status of smoking cessation program in foreign countries. J Korean Soc Res Nicotine Tob 2016;7(2):53-60. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25055/jksrnt.2016.7.2.53. https://doi.org/10.25055/JKSRNT.2016.7.2.53
- Chung J, Cho JJ. Use of qualitative research in the field of health. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2008;29(8):553-562.
- Tong A, Sainsbury P, Craig J. Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups. Int J Qual Health Care 2007;19(6):349-357. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzm042. https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzm042
- Cho MU, Baek YJ, Lee JA, Lee JY, Lee CM, Jeong HM, et al. Developing the model of medical insurance and management system of smoking cessation treatment program. Wonju: National Health Insurance Service; 2015.
- Hsieh HF, Shannon SE. Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qual Health Res 2005;15(9):1277-1288. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732305276687. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732305276687
- Guba EG, Lincoln YS. Effective evaluation: improving the usefulness of evaluation results through responsive and naturalistic approach. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass; 1981.
- Lee ES, Seo HG. The factors associated with successful smoking cessation in Korea. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2007;28(1):39-44.
- Park SW. Evidence-based smoking cessation counseling: motivational intervention and relapse prevention. J Korean Med Assoc 2011;54(10):1036-1046. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.10.1036. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.10.1036
- Lindson-Hawley N, Thompson TP, Begh R. Motivational interviewing for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015;(3):CD006936. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006936.pub3.
- Matjasko JL, Cawley JH, Baker-Goering MM, Yokum DV. Applying behavioral economics to public health policy: illustrative examples and promising directions. Am J Prev Med 2016;50(5 Suppl 1):S13-S19. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2016.02.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2016.02.007
- Friend KB, Pagano ME. Smoking cessation and alcohol consumption in individuals in treatment for alcohol use disorders. J Addict Dis 2005; 24(2):61-75. DOI: 10.1300/J069v24n02_06. https://doi.org/10.1300/J069v24n02_06
- De Leon J, Rendon DM, Baca-Garcia E, Aizpuru F, Gonzalez-Pinto A, Anitua C, et al. Association between smoking and alcohol use in the general population: stable and unstable odds ratios across two years in two different countries. Alcohol Alcohol 2007;42(3):252-257. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agm029. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agm029
- Kim HM, Choi CJ, Seung KB, Chung WS, Kahng HB. Smoking behavior following diagnosis of the coronary artery disease and factors influencing smoking cessation. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2005;26(10):629-635.
- Hwang SJ, Ou SW, Kim SN, Hwang HS, Cho BL, Huh BY. Smoking patterns and factors associated with smoking in Korean adult women. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2000;21(3):344-356.
- Kim CH, Seo HG. The factors associated with success of smoking cessation at smoking-cessation clinic. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2001;22(11):1603-1611.
- Kim YS, Kim YH. The patterns and risk factors of smoking relapse among people successful in smoking cessation at the smoking cessation clinics of public health centers. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2011;22(4):365-376. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.4.365. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.4.365
- Kim MJ, Jeong IS. Smoking relapse and related factors within one year among successes of the smoking cessation clinics of public health centers. J Prev Med Public Health 2011;44(2):84-92. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2011.44.2.84. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2011.44.2.84
- Kim YH, Kim JS, Kim MS. Effectiveness of public health center smoking cessation counseling program using the transtheoretical model. J Korean Acad Nurs 2009;39(4):469-479. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.4.469. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.4.469
- Song TM, Lee JY. Longitudinal analysis on success factors of smoking cessation using panel data. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2009;26(3):25-34.
- Seo JE, Kang HS. The success experience of smoking cessation by adult males. J Qual Res 2008;9(1):1-10.
- Jeong JH, Jeon EJ, Lee JH, Han JY, Kim YS, Won YS, et al. A phenomenological study on smoking experience among female college students. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2010;27(3):1-12.
- Minian N, Penner J, Voci S, Selby P. Woman focused smoking cessation programming: a qualitative study. BMC Women Health 2016;16(1):17. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-016-0298-2. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-016-0298-2