- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Determination and prediction of digestible and metabolizable energy concentrations in byproduct feed ingredients fed to growing pigs
- Son, Ah Reum (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, Chan Sol (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Beob Gyun (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.08.12
- Accepted : 2016.11.14
- Published : 2017.04.01
Objective: An experiment was conducted to determine digestible energy (DE) and metabolizable energy (ME) of different byproduct feed ingredients fed to growing pigs, and to generate prediction equations for the DE and ME in feed ingredients. Methods: Twelve barrows with an initial mean body weight of 31.8 kg were individually housed in metabolism crates that were equipped with a feeder and a nipple drinker. A
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Chiba LI. Protein supplements. In: Lewis AJ, Southern LL, editors. Swine nutrition. Washington, DC: CRC Press; 2001. p. 803-37.
- Sauvant D, Perez JM, Tran G. Tables of composition and nutritional value of feed materials: pigs, poultry, sheep, goats, rabbits, horses, and fish. 2nd ed. Wageningen, The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers; 2004.
- Park CS, Son AR, Kim BG. Prediction of gross energy and digestible energy in copra meal, palm kernel meal, and cassava root fed to pigs. J Anim Sci 2012;90:221-3.
- Committee on Nutrient Requirements of Swine, National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of swine. 11th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2012.
- Son AR, Ji SY, Kim BG. Digestible and metabolizable energy concentrations in copra meal, palm kernel meal, and cassava root fed to growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2012;90:140-2. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.53822
- Stein HH, Casas GA, Abelilla JJ, Liu YH, Sulabo RC. Nutritional value of high fiber co-products from the copra, palm kernel, and rice industries in diets fed to pigs. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 2015;6:56. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-015-0056-6
- Kim BG, Kim T. A program for making completely balanced Latin Square designs employing a systemic method. Rev Colom Cienc Pecua 2010;23:277-82.
- Committee on Nutrient Requirements of Swine, National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1998.
- Kong C, Adeola O. Evaluation of amino acid and energy utilization in feedstuff for swine and poultry diets. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2014;27:917-25. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.r.02
- Ahn JY, Kil DY, Kong C, Kim BG. Comparison of oven-drying methods for determination of moisture content in feed ingredients. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2014;27:1615-22. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14305
- Kim BG, Petersen GI, Hinson RB, Allee GL, Stein HH. Amino acid digestibility and energy concentration in a novel source of high-protein distillers dried grains and their effects on growth performance of pigs. J Anim Sci 2009;87:4013-21. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2060
- Horwitz W, Latimer GW; AOAC International. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 18th ed. Gaithersburg, MD: AOAC International; 2005.
- Boisen S, Fernandez JA. Prediction of the total tract digestibility of energy in feedstuffs and pig diets by in vitro analyses. Anim Feed Sci Technol 1997;68:277-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00058-8
- Kong C, Park CS, Kim BG. Effects of an enzyme complex on in vitro dry matter digestibility of feed ingredients for pigs. Springerplus 2015;4:261. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-015-1060-1
- Park KR, Park CS, Kim BG. An enzyme complex increases in vitro dry matter digestibility of corn and wheat in pigs. Springerplus 2016;5:598. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-2194-5
- Ravindran V, Kornegay ET, Webb KE, Jr. Effects of fiber and virginiamycin on nutrient absorption, nutrient retention and rate of passage in growing swine. J Anim Sci 1984;59:400-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.592400x
- Kim BG, Lindemann MD, Cromwell GL, Balfagon A, Agudelo JH. The correlation between passage rate of digesta and dry matter digestibility in various stages of swine. Livest Sci 2007;109:81-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.082
- Noblet J, Le Goff G. Effect of dietary fibre on the energy value of feeds for pigs. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2001;90:35-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00195-X
- Baker KM, Stein HH. Amino acid digestibility and concentration of digestible and metabolizable energy in soybean meal produced from conventional, high-protein, or low-oligosaccharide varieties of soybeans and fed to growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2009;87:2282-90. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1414
- Berrocoso JD, Rojas OJ, Liu Y, et al. Energy concentration and amino acid digestibility in high-protein canola meal, conventional canola meal, and soybean meal fed to growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2015;93:2208-17. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-8528
- Widmer MR, McGinnis LM, Stein HH. Energy, phosphorus, and amino acid digestibility of high-protein distillers dried grains and corn germ fed to growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2007;85:2994-3003. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-840
- Xue PC, Dong B, Zang JJ, Zhu ZP, Gong LM. Energy and standardized ileal amino acid digestibilities of Chinese distillers dried grains, produced from different regions and grains fed to growing pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2012;25:104-13.
- Gutierrez NA, Serao NVL, Kerr BJ, Zijlstra RT, Patience JF. Relationships among dietary fiber components and the digestibility of energy, dietary fiber, and amino acids and energy content of nine corn coproducts fed to growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2014;92:4505-17. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-7265
- Rodriguez DA, Sulabo RC, Gonzalez-Vega JC, Stein HH. Energy concentration and phosphorus digestibility in canola, cottonseed, and sunflower products fed to growing pigs. Can J Anim Sci 2013;93:493-503. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-020
- Adeola O, Kong C. Energy value of distillers dried grains with solubles and oilseed meals for pigs. J Anim Sci 2014;92:164-70. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6662
- Woyengo TA, Beltranena E, Zijlstra RT. Nonruminant nutrition symposium: Controlling feed cost by including alternative ingredients into pig diets: A review. J Anim Sci 2014;92:1293-305. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-7169
- Sulabo RC, Ju WS, Stein HH. Amino acid digestibility and concentration of digestible and metabolizable energy in copra meal, palm kernel expellers, and palm kernel meal fed to growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2013;91:1391-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5281
- Saittagaroon S, Kawakishi S, Namiki M. Characterisation of polysaccharides of copra meal. J Sci Food Agric 1983;34:855-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740340813
- Rojas OJ, Liu Y, Stein HH. Phosphorus digestibility and concentration of digestible and metabolizable energy in corn, corn coproducts, and bakery meal fed to growing pigs. J Anim Sci 2013;91:5326-35. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6324
- Noblet J, Perez JM. Prediction of digestibility of nutrients and energy values of pig diets from chemical analysis. J Anim Sci 1993;71:3389-98. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71123389x