- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nutrient intake, digestibility and performance of Gaddi kids supplemented with tea seed or tea seed saponin extract
- Kumar, M. (Animal Nutrition Lab, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Regional Station) ;
- Kannan, A. (Animal Nutrition Lab, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Regional Station) ;
- Bhar, R. (Animal Nutrition Lab, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Regional Station) ;
- Gulati, A. (Department of Hill Area Tea Sciences, CSIR- Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology) ;
- Gaurav, A. (Animal Nutrition Lab, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Regional Station) ;
- Sharma, V.K. (Department of Animal Nutrition, G.C. Negi College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, CSK HPKV)
- Received : 2016.06.11
- Accepted : 2016.09.08
- Published : 2017.04.01
Objective: An experiment was conducted to determine the nutrient intake, digestibility, microbial protein synthesis, haemato-biochemical attributes, immune response and growth performance of Gaddi kids fed with oat fodder based basal diet supplemented with either tea seed or tea seed saponin (TSS) extract. Methods: Eighteen male kids,
- Basu MA, Bera B, Rajan A. Tea statistics: global scenario. J Tea Sci 2010;8:121-4.
- Joshi R, Sood S, Dogra P, et al. In vitro cytotoxicity, antimicrobial and metal-chelating activity of triterpene saponins from tea seed grown in Kangra valley. Indian J Med Chem Res 2013;22:4030-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00044-012-0404-4
- Wang JK, Ye JA, Liu JX. Effects of tea saponins on rumen microbiota, rumen fermentation, methane production and growth performance-a review. Tropical Anim Health Prod 2012;44:697-706. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-011-9960-8
- Hu WL, Liu JX, Wu YM, Guo YQ, Ye JA. Effects of tea saponins on in vitro ruminal fermentation and growth performance in growing Boer goat. Archiv Anim Nutr 2006;60:89-97. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390500353119
- Li W, Powers W. Effects of saponin extracts on air emission from steers. J Anim Sci 2015;90:4001-13.
- Jadhav RV. Studies on effect of supplementation of tea seed saponin on growth performance and nutrient utilization in goats [Masters Thesis], Izat nagar, India: Indian Veterinary Research Institute; 2014.
- Patra AK, Saxena J. A new perspective on the use of plant secondary metabolites to inhibit methanogensis in the rumen. Phytochemistry 2010;71:1198-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2010.05.010
- Wina E, Muetzel S, Becker K. The impact of saponins or saponin-containing plant materials on ruminant production-a review. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53:8093-105. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf048053d
- Oda K, Matsuda H, Murakami T, et al. Adjuvant and haemolytic activities of saponins derived from medicinal and food plants. J Biol Chem 2000;381:67-74.
- ICAR Nutrient requirements of sheep, goat and rabbit. 2nd ed. New Delhi, India: Indian Council of Agricultural Research; 2013.
- AOAC. Official methods of analysis, 17th edn, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC: AOAC International; 2000.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fibre, neutral detergent fibre and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Robertson JB, Van Soest PJ. The detergent system of analysis. In: James WPT, Theander O, editors. The analysis of dietary fibre in food. NY: Marcel Dekker; 1981. p. 123-215.
- IAEA. Estimation of rumen microbial protein production from purine derivatives in urine, TECDOC-945. Vienna, Austria: International Atomic Energy Agency; 1997.
- Chen XB, Gomes MJ. Estimation of microbial protein supply to sheep and cattle based on urinary excretion of purine derivatives-An overview of the technical details. Occasion Publication. International Feed Resources Institute, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK: Rowett Research Institute; 1995.
- Kim HW, Boon P, Chewa BP, et al. Modulation of humoral and cell mediated immune responses by dietary lutein in cats. Vet Immun Immunopathol 2000;73:331-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(00)00152-5
- Mazumder PM, Pattnayak S, Parvani H, Sasmal D, Rathinavelusamy P. Evaluation of immunomodulatory activity of Glycorrhiza globra L roots in combination with zing. Asian Pacific J Trop Biomed 2012;S15-S20.
- Nasri S, Ben Salem H, Vasta V, et al. Effect of increasing levels of Quillaja saponaria on digestion, growth and meat quality of Barbarine lamb. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2011;164:71-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.12.005
- Aazami MH, Tahmasbi AM, Ghaffari MH, et al. Effects of saponins on rumen fermentation, nutrients digestibility, performance, and plasma metabolites in sheep and goat kids. Annual Rev Res Biol 2013;3:596-607.
- Santoso B, Kilmaskossu A, Sambodoc P. Effects of saponin from Biophytum petersianum Klotzsch on ruminal fermentation, microbial protein synthesis and nitrogen utilization in goats. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2007;137:58-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.10.005
- Klita PT, Mathison GW, Fenton TW, Hardin RT. Effects of alfalfa root saponins on digestive function in sheep. J Anim Sci 1996;74:1144-56. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7451144x
- Hess HD, Beuret RA, Lotscher M, et al. Rumen fermentation, methanogenesis and nitrogen utilization of sheep receiving tropical grass hay-concentrate diet offered with Sapindus saponaria fruits and Cratylia argentea foliage. J Anim Sci 2004;79:177-89.
- Goetsch AL, Owens FN. Effects of sarsaponin on digestion and passage rates in cattle fed medium to low concentrate. J Dairy Sci 1985;68:2377-84. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)81112-7
- Thalib A, Widiawati Y, Hamid H, Suherman D, Sabrani M. The effects of saponin from Sapindus rarak fruit on rumen microbes and performance of sheep. J Ilmu Ternakdan Veteriner 1996;2:17-20.
- Makkar HPS, Sen S, Blummel M, Becker K. Effect of fractions containing saponins from Yucca schidigera, Quillaja saponaria and Acacia auriculoformis on rumen fermentation. J Agric Food Chem 1998;46:4324-8. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980269q
- Sliwinski BJ, Kreuzer M, Wettstein HR, Machmuller A. Rumen fermentation and nitrogen balance of lambs fed diets containing plant extracts rich in tannins and saponins and associated emissions of nitrogen and methane. Arch Anim Nutr 2002;56:379-92.
- Han LK, Xu BJ, Kimura Y, Zheng YN, Okuda H. Platycodiradix affects lipid metabolism in mice with high fat diet induced obesity. J Nutr 2000;130:2760-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.11.2760
- Ilsley SE. Miller HM. Effect of dietary supplementation of sows with quillaja saponins during gestation on colostrum composition and performance of piglets suckled. J Anim Sci 2005;80:179-84.
- Turner JL, Dritz SS, Higgins JJ, Herkelman KL, Minton JE. Effects of a Quillaja saponaria extract on growth performance and immune function of weanling pigs challenged with Salmonella typhimurium. J Anim Sci 2002;80:1939-46. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8071939x
- : structures, biological activities, and molecular simulation for structure–activity relationship vol.9, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1039/C8FO00755A