- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Case Study on Application of CPTED of Park Development Guidelines -With Suwon-City Park Development Guidelines as a Case-
공원조성 가이드라인의 CPTED 적용에 관한 사례연구 -수원시 공원조성 가이드라인을 사례로-
- Yeom, Sung-Jin (Department of Landscape Architecture, Hankyong National University) ;
- Hong, Youn-Soon (Department of Landscape Architecture, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2016.11.28
- Accepted : 2017.01.05
- Published : 2017.01.31
In the recent trend where crime types are being diversified along with urban expansion, we are facing the reality of a 'taking-it-out-on-somebody' crime, which targets the public rather than a specific person with criminal intent, like a 'random target crime.' A park, which is a public space for urban dwellers' and residents' leisure and rest in the midst of social changes, can be called the spot where various crimes occur. This is because it is a space without boundaries, available for the influx of many and unspecified persons, thus making it difficult to specify users. For the purpose of keeping a park safe from crime and providing users with psychological stability, this study carried out its research to get basic knowledge of the introduction of CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design) concept in park development. The park development guideline contents are analyzed based on the six principles of CPTED theory as per the space composition element of a park. As a result, this study found out a problem was that most guidelines applied to the space composition element of a park were fragmentary in applying the six principles of CPTED theory, and were focused on arrangement and installation of facilities.
CPTED;Six principles;Public space;Park development;Guideline
- Heo, J. E., 2011, Research into ways of improving environmental design with CPTED, MS Thesis, Kookmin Univ., Seoul, Korea.
- Jeffery, C. R., 1971, Crime prevention through environmental design, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications, Beverly Hills.
- Kim, H. S., 2001, A Study on the creating defensible space in the urban neighborhood park, MS Thesis, Yonsei Univ., Seoul, Korea.
- Korea National Police Agency, 2013, http://police.go.kr
- Lee, H. S., 2013, A Study on the methodology of CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design) based on community design - Focused on Seoul root out crime by design, Institute of Science Culture, ED, 14, 371-384.
- Lee, J. S., Park, H. H., Oh, S. K., 2008, A Study on the Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) strategy for the application in Korea : A Preliminary inquiry, JKRDA, 20(2), 213-232.
- National Police Agency, 2005, Measures on crime prevention through environmental design, National Police Agency, Korea.
- Newman, O., 1972, Defensible space people and design in the Violent City, Architectural Press, London.
- Park, J. A., 2010, A Study on the environmental design of public space in residential area for preventing fear of crime, MS Thesis, Yonsei Univ., Seoul, Korea.
- Park, M. R., Shin, E. G., Kang, Y. G., Kang, S. J., Park, H. H., 2011, How to institutionalize CPTED in Korea (IV): An Application of CPTED principles for city parks, Report of Korean Institute of Criminology, Seoul.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government, 2009, Guideline of CPTED for redevelopment promotion area, 148.
- Park, H. H., 2003, A Study on the CPTED strategy of Britain, KPSA, 1(2), 7-26.
- Suwon City, 2016, Guidelines made with a park 2016.