- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Biological Characteristics of Rice Stem Borer (Chilo suppressalis Walker) and Variation in its Occurrence Patterns Among Crops
작물별 이화명나방의 발생양상 변동과 생물적 특성 연구
- Choi, Nak Jung (Crop Foundation Research Division, National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Choi, June-Yeol (Research Policy Bureau, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Bong-Choon (Crop Foundation Research Division, National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Kim, Sang-Min (Crop Foundation Research Division, National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Ra, Ji-Eun (Crop Foundation Research Division, National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Baik, Chai-Hun (Planning and Coordination Division, National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Lee, Jong Jin (Agricultural Biology, Chonbuk National University)
- 최낙중 (국립식량과학원 작물기초기반과) ;
- 최준열 (농촌진흥청 연구운영과) ;
- 이봉춘 (국립식량과학원 작물기초기반과) ;
- 김상민 (국립식량과학원 작물기초기반과) ;
- 나지은 (국립식량과학원 작물기초기반과) ;
- 백채훈 (국립식량과학원 기획조정과) ;
- 이종진 (전북대학교 농생물학과)
- Received : 2016.10.10
- Accepted : 2016.11.07
- Published : 2017.01.31
We analyzed the variation in occurrence time and intensity of attacks by the rice stem borer (Chilo suppressalis Walker) on several crops. This study aimed to understand how C. suppressalis damages crops and to utilize this basic data for the establishment of environment-friendly control methods like pheromone traps. This study surveyed the changes in occurrence patterns of C. suppressalis, biological characteristics of overwintering larvae, and the efficacy of different types of pheromone traps the years. We found similar occurrence patterns of C. suppressalis in different crops. In addition, occurrence time of the first generation was advanced. Overwintering larvae showed no difference in pupal period and weight compared to the non-overwintering ones. However, the larval period was reduced to 19.1 days in Miscanthus field, in contrast to that in the paddy fields. It was confirmed that larvae of C. suppressalis generally prefer the lower part of the stems of Miscanthus. Efficiency of the emergence trap was confirmed to be greater than that of the delta trap for capturing C. suppressalis adults. However, it is necessary to adjust the control period because of the advancement in occurring time of C. suppressalis in recent years. The larvae of C. suppressalis experience favorable environmental conditions for overwintering in Miscanthus fields. The major Miscanthus fields are generally located in the areas protected for sources of drinking water, owing to which spraying of chemical pesticides is very limited. The results of this study provide important inputs for the development of environment-friendly control methods.
Biological characteristic;Chilo suppressalis;Delta trap;Emergence trap;Miscanthus;Occurrence pattern;Rice
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- An, G. H., Kim, J. K., Moon, Y. H., Cha, Y. L., Yoon, Y. M., Koo, B. C., Park, K. G., 2013, A New genotype of Miscanthus sacchariflorus Geodae-Uksae 1, identified by growth characteristics and a specific SCAR marker, Bioprocess Biosyst. Eng., 36, 695-703. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00449-013-0893-7
- An, G. H., Yang, J. W., Jang, Y. H., Um, K. R., Kim, S., Cha, Y. L., Yoon, Y. M., Moon, Y. H., Ahn, J. W., Yu, G. D., 2014, Overwintering pattern of larvae of Chilo suppressalis Walker in the bioenergy crop Miscanthus sacchariflorus cv. Geodae 1, Korean J. Crop Sci., 59, 369-374. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2014.59.3.369
- Atkinson, C. J., 2009, Establishing perennial grass energy crops in the UK: A Review of current propagation options for Miscanthus Biomass Bioenergy, 33, 752-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2009.01.005
- Greef, J. M., Deuter, M.. Jung, C., Schondelmaier, J., 1997, Genetic diversity of European Miscanthus species revealed by AFLP fingerprinting, Genet. Resour. Crop Ev., 44, 185-197. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008693214629
- Han, L., Lu, S., Liu, P., Peng, Y., Hou, M., 2012, New artificial diet for continuous rearing of c (Lepidoptera: Crambidae), Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 105, 253-258. https://doi.org/10.1603/AN10170
- Jezowski, J., 2008, Yield traits of six clones of Miscanthus in the first 3 years following planting in Poland, Ind. Crop Prod., 27, 65-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2007.07.013
- Koonin, S. E., 2006, Getting serious about biofuels?, Science, 311, 435. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1124886
- Lee, C. S., Park, H. J., 1991, Changes in the occurrence pattern of the striped rice borer, Chilo suppressalis Walker, in Korea, Korean J. Appl. Entomol., 30, 249-257.
- Lee, J. H., 1999, Development of insect population dynamics and forecast models: A Case of Chilo suppressalis (Walker) occurrence in Suwon, Korean J. Appl. Entomol., 38, 231-240.
- Lewandowski, I., Clifton-Brown, J. C., Scurlock, J. M. O., Huisman, W., 2000, Miscanthus: European experience with a novel energy crop, Biomass Bioenerg., 19, 209-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0961-9534(00)00032-5
- Moon, Y. H., Koo, B. C., Choi, Y. H., Ahn, S. H., Bark, S. T., Cha, Y. L., An, G. H., Kim, J. K., Suh, S. J., 2010, Development of "Miscanthus" the promising bioenergy crop, Kor. J. Weed Sci., 30, 330-339. https://doi.org/10.5660/KJWS.2010.30.4.330
- Paik, W. H., 1967, Insect pests of rice in Korea in major insect pests of rice plant, Johns Hopkins Univ., Press, 657-674.
- Park, C. G., Hyun, J. S., 1990, Studies on the regional characteristics in the occurrence of the rice stem borer, Chilo suppressalis (Walker) in Korea, Korean J. Appl. Entomol., 29, 257-268.
- Song, Y. H., Choi, S. Y., Hyun, J. S., 1982, A Study on the phenology of the striped rice borer, Chilo suppressalis (Walker), in relation to the introduction of new agricultural practices, Korean J. Plant Prot., 21, 38-48.