- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis on Broadcasters and Internet Reports that Provide Weather Information Regarding Typhoons
태풍시기 기상정보 제공에 대한 방송사와 인터넷 보도자료 분석
- Lee, Bo-Ram (Korea Meteorological Industry Promotion Agency) ;
- Park, Jong-Kil (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering/Atmospheric Environment Information Research Center, Inje University) ;
- Jung, Woo-Sik (Department of Atmospheric Environment Information Engineering/Atmospheric Environment Information Research Center, Inje University)
- Received : 2016.09.09
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2017.01.31
As a result of broadcasters' websites, there were more reports during the typhoon Bolaven/Tembin in 2012 than in 2002 and 2003. Checking related press releases of each broadcaster on NAVER, YTN reports are 3 times more than KBS. Considering great technology progress in the Internet and smart phone user environment compared to the past, it is thought to be rather regretful in that KBS has been the supervising broadcaster over Korean disaster. As a result of daily reports, the year 2002 typhoon Rusa was reported from the date of its arrival on Korean Peninsular to 3 days, but the information required to be provided for disaster prevention before its arrival was too scarce. 2003 typhoon Maemi was reported as many times as the 2002 typhoon, but its information was provided before its arrival. This is meaningful because the information provision was intended for disaster prevention unlike the past. In 2012, the number of weather forecast broadcast on the typhoon Bolaven/Tembin increased greatly compared to 2002 and 2003. This was also determined to be due to abundant information provided by broadcasters and the Internet portal sites as a result of great progress in Korea internet industry.
Broadcasters;Internet report;Weather information
Supported by : 기상청
- Busan Metropolitan City, 2014, http://bangjae.busan.go.kr/02_bangjaedata/02_01.jsp?command=list&pageNo=1&groupid=00030_/00001_/00002&year=2015
- Choi, H. J., 2013, A Study on the disaster broadcasting of television news: Focused on analysing the 2000s' major typhoons, Master's Thesis., Sungkyunkwan University, Korea.
- Choi, K. H., Choi, G. Y., Kim, Y. M., 2014, Salty wind damages in windbreak forests of Jeju Island by typhoon Bolaven, Journal of the Korean Geographical Society, 49(1), 18-31.
- IPCC, 2007, The physical science basis, summary for policymakers, contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, 1-21.
- Kwon, N. H., 2013, The mass media promotion & revitalization on the purpose of mitigation damages of the Typhoon, Master's Thesis., Kangwon University, Korea.
- Meril, J., 1998, Forecast for EL Nino: Big ration?, Broadcasting&Calbel., 128(7), 31.
- NTC, 2016, http://typ.kma.go.kr/TYPHOON/statistics/statistics_02_3.jsp
- Park, J. K., Jung, W. S., Oh, J., 2014, Pilot study of application status for the improvement of weather information in the Korean Peninsula : Focus on extreme heat watch and warnings, Asian Journal of Atmospheric Environment, 8(3), 140-153. https://doi.org/10.5572/ajae.2014.8.3.140
- Park, S. Y., Lee, J. H., 2008, Comparative evaluation of the unified search services provided by major Korean search portals, Journal of Korean library and Information Science Society, 39(1), 265-278. https://doi.org/10.16981/kliss.39.1.200803.265