- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
S-wave Relative Travel Time Tomography for East Asia
동아시아 S파 상대 주시 토모그래피
- Cho, Seongheum (Division of Geology and Geophysics, Kangwon National University) ;
- Chang, Sung-Joon (Division of Geology and Geophysics, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2016.11.29
- Accepted : 2017.01.09
- Published : 2017.02.28
We performed seismic imaging based on relative S-wave travel times to examine S-wave velocity of upper mantle structure beneath East Asia. We used teleseismic events recorded at 129 broadband stations of the Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (KIGAM), Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA), and National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED). Relative travel time residuals were obtained by a multi-channel cross-correlation method designed to automatically determine accurate relative phase arrival times. The resulting images show high-velocity anomalies along plate boundaries around the Japanese islands region. These anomalies may indicate subducting Pacific and Philippine Sea plates. On the other hand, a low-velocity anomaly is revealed beneath east of the Korean peninsula down to around 300 km depth, which is thought to be related to the formation of the Ulleung basin and the Ulleung island. Low-velocity anomalies revealed beneath the Jeju island may imply that the formation and volcanism of the Jeju island have been caused by magmatic sources from the deep mantle.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Abdelwahed, M., and Zhao, D., 2007, Deep structure of the Japan subduction zone, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 162, 32-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pepi.2007.03.001
- Asamori, K., and Zhao, D., 2015, Teleseismic shear wave tomo-graphy of the Japan subduction zone, Geophysical Journal International, 203, 1752-1772.
- Bird, P., 2003, An updated digital model of plate boundaries, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 4, 1027, doi:10.1029/2001GC000252.
- Brenna, M., Cronin, S., Kereszturi, G., Sohn, Y., Smith, I. M.,and Wijbrans, J., 2015, Intraplate volcanism influenced by distal subduction tectonics at Jeju Island, Republic of Korea, Bulletin of Volcanology, 77, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-014-0893-8
- Chang, S.-J., and Baag, C.-E., 2005, Crustal structure in southern Korea from joint analysis of teleseismic receiver functions and surface wave dispersion, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 95, 1516-1534. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120040080
- Chang, S.-J., and Baag, C.-E., 2007, Moho depth and crustal Vp/Vs variation in southern Korea from teleseismic receiver functions: Implication for tectonic affinity between the Korean Peninsula and China, Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, 97, 1621-1631. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120050264
- Fukao, Y., Widiyantoro, S., and Obayashi, M., 2001, Stagnant slabs in the upper and lower mantle transition region, Reviews of Geophysics, 39, 291-323. https://doi.org/10.1029/1999RG000068
- Kennett, B. L. N., and Engdahl, E. R., 1991, Travel times for global earthquake location and phase association, Geophysical Journal International, 105, 429-465. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.1991.tb06724.x
- Kim, S., Tkalcic, H., Rhie, J., and Y. Chen, 2016, Intraplate volcanism controlled by back-arc and continental structures in NE Asia inferred from transdimensional Bayesian ambient noise tomography, Geophysical Research Letters, 43, 8390-8398, doi:10.1002/2016GL069483. https://doi.org/10.1002/2016GL069483
- Li, C., and van der Hilst, R. D., 2010, Structure of the upper mantle and transition zone beneath Southeast Asia from traveltime tomography, Journal of Geophysical Research,115, B07308, doi:10.1029/2009JB006882.
- Liu, X., and Zhao, D., 2016, P and S wave tomography of Japan subduction zone from joint inversions of local and teleseismic travel times and surface-wave data, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 252, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pepi.2016.01.002
- Lou, X., van der Lee, S., and Lloyd, S., 2013, AIMBAT: A Python/Matplotlib tool for measuring teleseismic arrival times, Seismological Research Letters, 84, 85-93. https://doi.org/10.1785/0220120033
- Simute, S., Steptoe, H., Cobden, L., Gokhberg, A., and Fichtner, A., 2016, Full-waveform inversion of the Japanese Islands region, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 121,doi:10.1002/2016JB012802.
- VanDecar, J. C., and Crosson, R. S., 1990, Determination of teleseismic relative phase arrival times using multi-channel cross-correlation and least-squares, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 80, 150-169.
- VanDecar, J. C., 1991, Upper-mantle structure of the Cascadia subduction zone from non-linear teleseismic travel-time inversion, Ph.D. thesis, University of Washington, Seattle.
- Wei, W., Zhao, D., Xu, J., Wei, F., and Liu, G., 2015, P and S wave tomography and anisotropy in Northwest Pacific and East Asia: Constraints on stagnant slab and intraplate volcanism, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 120, 1642-1666, doi:10.1002/2014JB011254. https://doi.org/10.1002/2014JB011254
- Witek, M., van der Lee, S., and Kang, T.-S., 2014, Rayleigh wave group velocity distributions for East Asia using ambient seismic noise, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, 8045-8052,doi:10.1002/2014GL062016. https://doi.org/10.1002/2014GL062016
- Zhao, D., and Ohtani, E., 2009, Deep slab subduction and dehydration and their geodynamic consequences: evidence from seismology and mineral physics, Gondwana Research,16, 401-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2009.01.005