- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Combined Effects of Wheat Sprout and Isolated Soy Protein on Quality Properties of Breakfast Sausage
- Lee, Cheol-Won ;
- Kim, Tae-Kyung ;
- Hwang, Ko-Eun ;
- Kim, Hyun-Wook ;
- Kim, Young-Boong ;
- Kim, Cheon-Jei ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang
- Received : 2016.08.22
- Accepted : 2016.12.22
- Published : 2017.02.28
The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of different concentrations of WSP (wheat sprout powder) and ISP (isolated soy protein) on the quality of breakfast sausage. Treatments were formulated as follows: Control, T1 (2.0% ISP), T2 (1.5% ISP + 0.5% WSP), T3 (1.0% ISP + 1.0% WSP), T4 (0.5% ISP + 1.5% WSP) and T5 (2.0% WSP). The treatments were analyzed for color, pH, cooking loss, emulsion stability, protein solubility, viscosity, texture properties and sensory evaluation. Lightness and redness were reduced and yellowness was increased as increased level of WSP, due to the dark green color of WSP (p<0.05). The pH values of all samples were affected by WSP which has lower pH (p<0.05). The emulsion stability and cooking loss of treatments were improved with increasing level of WSP (p<0.05). The protein solubility, viscosity and overall texture properties of the sausage indicated significant differences in relation to the level of WSP and ISP (p<0.05). The sensory evaluation indicated that the greatest flavor and overall acceptability in sausage was achieved at WSP 1% combination with ISP 1% (T3) (p<0.05). Therefore, these results indicate that breakfast sausage containing 1% WSP and 1% ISP is the optimal formulation, taking into consideration the overall physico-chemical properties and sensory evaluation.
WSP;ISP;physico-chemical property;sensory evaluation;breakfast sausage
- Shand, P. J. (2000) Textural, water holding, and sensory properties of low-fat pork bologna with normal or waxy starch hull-less barley. J. Food Sci. 65, 101-107. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb15963.x
- Tudek, B., Peryt, B., Miloszewska, J., Szymczyk, T., Przybyszewska, M., and Janik, P. (1998) The effect of wheat sprout extract on beno(a)pyrene and 7, 2-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene activity. Neoplasma 35, 515-523.
- Turgut, H., Varol, M., and Uygun, M. E. R. (1981) Studies on determining of the emulsion capacity of beef, buffalo, lamb and goat meats with different oil and fats. TUBITAK Marmara Scientific and Industrial Research Inc., Gebze, Turkey, pp. 1-16.
- Turhan, S., Sagir, I., and Ustun, N. S. (2005) Utilization of hazelnut pellicle in low-fat beef burgers. Meat Sci. 71, 312-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.03.027
- Warriss, P. D., Wilkins, L. J., and Knowles, T. G. (1999) The influence of ante-mortem handling on poultry meat quality. Richarson, R. I., and Mead G. C. (eds) Poultry meat Sci. Poultry meat symposium series. CABI Publishing, Walling ford, UK, pp. 217-230.
- Watzl, B. (2008) Anti-inflammatory effects of plant-based foods and of their constituents. Int. J. Vitamin Nutr. Res. 78, 293-298. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-9822.214.171.1243
- Zorba, O., Gokalp, H. Y., Yetim, H., and Ockerman, H. W. (1993) Salt, phosphate and oil temperature effects on emulsion capacity of fresh or frozen meat and sheep tail fat. J. Food Sci. 58, 492-496. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb04308.x
- Ozturk, I., Osman, A., Tornuk, F., and Yetim, H. (2014) Effects of wheat sprout powder incorporation on lipid oxidation and physico-chemical properties of beef patties. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 49, 1112-1121. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12407
- Park, G. B., Oh, S. H., Song, D. J., Shin, T. S., Kim, Y. G., Kim, J. S., and Jin, S. K. (1995) Effects of non-meat proteins on the moisture content, water holding capacity and texture of emulsion-type sausages. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 37, 411-417.
- Park, H. G., Oh, H. R., Ha, J. O., Kang, J. O., Lee, K. T., and Chin, G. B. (1998) Science and technology of meat and meat products. Sunjin publishing, Seoul, pp. 337-338.
- Park, L. Y. (2015) Quality characteristics of muffins containing wheat sprout powder. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 44, 784-789. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.5.784
- Pietrasik, Z. and Duda, Z. (2000) Effect of fat content and soy protein/ carrageenan mix on the quality characteristics of comminuted, scalded sausages. Meat Sci. 56, 181-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00038-3
- Rakosky, J. (1970) Soy products for the meat industry. J. Agri. Food Chem. 72, 1005-1009.
- Rao, L. O., Draughon, F. A., and Melton, C. C. (1984) Sensory characters of thuringer sausage extended with textured soy protein. J. Food Sci. 49, 334-336. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1984.tb12415.x
- RDA. (2009) Development of processed food using the Korean wheat flour sprout. Rural Development Administration, Gwangju, Korea. p. 15-17.
- Saricoban, C., Ozalp, B., Yilmaz, M. T., Ozen, G., Karakaya, M., and Akbulut, M. (2008) Characteristics of meat emulsion systems as influenced by different levels of lemon albedo. Meat Sci. 80, 599-606. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.02.008
- Sayre, R. N. and Briskey, E. J. (1963) Protein solubility as influenced by physiological conditions in the muscle. J. Food Sci. 82, 675-679.
- Kim, H. W., Choi, J. H., Choi, Y. S., Han, D. J., Ki, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Shim, S. Y., and Kim, C. J. (2009) Effects of wheat fiber and isolated soy protein on the quality characteristics of frankfurter-type sausages. Korean J. Food. Sci. Ani. Resour. 29, 475-481. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.4.475
- Kim, Y. S., Han, S. M., Kim, C. K., Lee, Y. J., and Kang, I. J. (2005) Quality characteristics of noodles by addition of buck-wheat sprout powder. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 15, 450-456.
- Kulkarni, S. D., Tilak, J. C., Acharya, R., Rajurkar, N. S., Devasagayam, T. P., and Reddy, A. V. (2006) Avalution of the antioxidant activity of wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum L.) as a function of growth under different conditions. Phytotherapy Res. 20, 218-227. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1838
- Lecomte, N. B., Zayas, J. F., and Kastner, C. L. (1993) Soya proteins functional and sensory characteristics improved in communuted meats. J. Food Sci. 58, 464-466. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb04300.x
- Lee, B. K. (2015) Quality characteristics of sponge cake with added powdered wheat and barley sprout. Master's thesis. Seoul National University of Science and Technology. Seoul, Korea. 1-35.
- Lee, Y. C., Song, D. S., and Yoon, S. K. (2003) Effects of ISP adding methods and freezing rate on quality of pork patties and cutlets. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 35, 182-187.
- Lin, K. W. and Ito, T. (1985) Rheological property of myosin B fibre and the fibre of the mixture of the myosin B and soya protein, and the interaction between myosin B and soya protein. J. Food Technol. 20, 219-235.
- Lin, K. W. and Mei, M. Y. (2000) Influences of gums, soy protein isolate, and heating temperatures on reduced-fat meat batters in a model system. J. Food Sci. 65, 48-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb15954.x
- Mittal, G. S. and Usborne, W. R. (1985) Meat emulsion extender. Food Technol. 39, 121-130.
- Decker, C. D., Conley, C. C., and Richert, S. H. (1986) Use of isolated soy protein in the development of frankfurters with reduced levels of fat, calories, and cholesterol. European Meeting of Meat Research Workers. 7, 1-2.
- Eddouks, M., Maghrani, M., and Michel, J. B. (2005) Hypoglycaemic effect of Triticum repens P. Beauv. In normal and diabetic rats. J. Ethnopharmacol. 102, 228-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.06.019
- Fernandez-Gines, J. M., Fernandez-Lopez, J., Sayas-Barbera, E., Sendra, E., and Perez-Alvarez, J. A. (2004) Lemon albedo as a new source of dietary fiber: Application to bologna sausages. Meat Sci. 67, 7-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2003.08.017
- Gornall, A. G., Bardawill, C. J., and David, M. M. (1949) Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. J. Biol. Chem. 177, 751-766.
- Haga, S. and Ohashi, T. (1984) Heat-induced gelation of a mixture of myosin B and soybean protein. Agric. Biol. Chem. 48, 1001-1007.
- Hänninen, O., Rauma, A. L., Kaartinen, K., and Nenonen, M. (1999) Vegan diet in physiological health promotion. Acta Physiol. Hung. 86, 171-180.
- Hsu, S. Y. and Sun, L. Y. (2006) Comparisons on 10 non-meat protein fat substitutes for low-fat kung-wans. J. Food Eng. 74, 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.02.022
- Joo, S. T., Kauffman, R. G., Kim, B. C., and Park, G. B. (1999) The relationship of sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar protein solubility to colour and water-holding capacity in porcine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci. 52, 291-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00005-4
- Joseph, C. C. (1987) Use of soy proteins in processed meat products. Briminhgm Alabama USA.
- Chin, K. B., Keeton, J. T., Longnecker, M. T., and Lamkey, J. W. (1999) Utilization of soy protein isolate and konjac blend in a low-fat bologna (model system). Meat Sci. 53, 45-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00035-2
- Cho, Y. K., Lee, S. K., and Kim, Z. U. (1990) Quality characteristics of SPI and Na-caseinate substituted sausage for meat protein. J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. 33, 43-51.
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Kim, H. W., Jeong, J. Y., and Kim, C. J. (2009) Characteristics of low-fat meat emulsion systems with pork fat replaced by vegetable oils and rice bran fiber. Meat Sci. 82, 266-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.019
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Kim, H. W., Song, D. H., Lee, J. W., and Kim, C. J. (2010) Effects of chestnut (Castanea sativa Mill.) peel powder on quality characteristics of chicken emusion sausages. Korean J. Food. Sci. Ani. Resour. 30, 755-763. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.5.755
- Choi, Y. S., Jeon, K. H., Park, D. J., Sung, M. J., Seo, D. H., Ku, S. K., Oh, N. S., and Kim, Y. B. (2015) Comparison of pork patty quality characteristics with various binding agents. Korean J. Food Cook. Sci. 31, 588-595. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.588
- Choi, Y. S., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Shim, S. Y., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2007) Quality characteristics of meat batters containing dietary fiber extracted from rice bran. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 27, 228-234. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.2.228
- Choi, Y. S., Lee, M. A., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, E. S., and Kim, C. J. (2007) Effects of wheat fiber on the quality of meat batter. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 27, 22-28. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.1.22
- Chung, E. S. and An, S. H. (2015) Physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of muffins added with wheat sprout powder. The Korean J. Culinary Res. 21, 207-220.
- An, S. H. (2015) Quality characteristics of cookies made with added wheat sprout powder. Korean J. Food Cook. Sci. 31, 687-695. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.6.687
- Bergara-Almeida, S. and da Silva, M. A. A. P. (2002) Hedonic scale with reference: Performance in obtaining predictive models. Food Qual. Prefer. 13, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(01)00057-X
- Bilek, A. E. and Turhan, S. (2009) Enhancement of the nutritional status of beef patties by adding flaxseed powder. Meat Sci. 82, 472-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.03.002
- Bloukas, I. and Honikel, K. O. (1992) The influence of additives on the oxidation of pork back fat and its effect on water and fat binding in finely comminuted batters. Meat Sci. 32, 31-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(92)90015-V
- Bourne, M. C. (1978) Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32, 62-66.
- Cazuola, I., Marsili, V., and Gianfranceshi, G. L. K. (2004) Synthesis of antioxidants in wheat sprouts. J. Agric. Chem. 52, 5201-5206. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0307752
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs