- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Physical and Sensory Properties of Ice Cream Containing Fermented Pepper Powder
- Yeon, Su-Jung (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Ji-Han (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Hong, Go-Eun (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, Woojoon (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Soo-Ki (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Seo, Han-Geuk (Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Chi-Ho (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.06.17
- Accepted : 2016.12.22
- Published : 2017.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the physical and sensory properties of ice cream containing fermented pepper powder. Three ice cream formulas were manufactured: 1, control; 2, supplemented with 0.1% fermented pepper powder; and 3, supplemented with 0.2% fermented pepper powder. Formulas 2 and 3 had significantly higher viscosity and lower overrun than formula 1 (p<0.05). Additionally, ice creams supplemented with fermented pepper powder were harder and maintained their forms longer than the controls. 0.2% fermented pepper powder added ice cream had no pungency as much as that of control and overall sensory attribute was not significantly different from control. Therefore, ice cream containing fermented pepper powder maintained physical and sensory properties similar to the controls, and maintenance was better. It means fermented pepper powder ice cream can be utilized as the material of functional food (dessert).
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Arbuckle, W. S. (1986) Ice cream.Van Nostrand Reinhold Company Inc., New York, USA. p. 1.
- Ballongue, J., Schumann, C., and Quignon, P. (1997) Effects of lactulose and lactitol on colonic microflora and enzymatic activity. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. Suppl. 222, 41-44.
- Chen, L., Hwang, J. E., Choi, B. R., Gu, K. M., Park, Y. M., and Kang, Y. H. (2014) Antioxidant capacities and cytostatic effect of Korean red pepper (Capsicum annuum L.): A screening and in vitro study. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 57, 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-013-4152-z
- Cho, S., Moon, H. I., Hong, G. E., Lee, C. H., Kim, J. M., and Kim, S. K. (2014) Biodegradation of capsaicin by Bacillus licheniformis SK1230. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 57, 335-339. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-013-4277-0
- Gibson, G. R. and Roberfroid, M. B. (1995) Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota - Introducing the concept of prebiotics. J. Nutr. 125, 1401-1412.
- Goff, H. D., Freslon, B., Sahagian, M. E., Hauber, T. D., Stone, A. P., and Stanley. D. W. (1995) Structural development in ice cream-dynamic rheological measurements. J. Texture Stud. 26, 517-536. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.1995.tb00801.x
- Her, B. Y., Sung, H. Y., and Choi, Y. S. (2005a) Effects of oligosaccharide-supplemented soy ice cream on oxidative stress and fecal microflora in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 34, 1536-1544.
- Her, B. Y., Sung, H. Y., and Choi, Y. S. (2005b) Oligosaccharide-supplemented soy ice cream for diabetic patients: Quality characteristics and effects on blood sugar and lipids in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Korean J. Nutr. 38, 663-671.
- Ioanna, S., Martinou, V., and Gregori, K. Z. (2004) Effect of some stabilizers on textural and sensory characteristics of yogurt ice cream from sheep's milk. J. Food Sci. 55, 703-707.
- Iwai, K. and Watanabe, T. (1999) Tougarashi-shinnminokagaku. Tokyo, Japan. Saiwaishobo. pp. 209-213.
- Kim, I. J. (2005) Seasonal management of life styles for diabetic patients. J. Clin. Med. 3, 43-48.
- Kim, S. H., Choi, D. J., Shin, H. J., Lee, J. Y., and Sung, N. J. (2004) Nutritional characteristics of ice cream added with citron juice. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 17, 212-219.
- Kim, S. K., Cho, S. B., Kim, S. O., Won, M. Y., Lee, C. H., and Moon, H. I. (2011) Isolation of capsaicin degrading bacteria and its cleavage. In: 7th Asian Pacific Conference on Clinical Nutrition. June 5-8, the Sofitel Centara Grand Bangkok in Ladprao, Bangkok, Thailand. pp. 1198.
- Ko, S. H., Han, Y. S., Yoon, H. G., Jang, S. S., Myoung, K. S., Kim, S. A., Shim, J. H., Park, S. Y., Lee, H. J., and Lee, K. Y. (2014) Quality characteristics of ice creams using Tarak. Korean J. Culin. Res. 20, 91-101.
- Luo, X. J., Peng, J., and Li, Y. J. (2011) Recent advances in the study on capsaicinoids and capsinoids. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 650, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2010.09.074
- Muse, M. R. and Hartel, R. W. (2004) Ice cream structural elements that affect melting rate and hardness. J. Dairy Sci. 87, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73135-5
- Prapasuwannakul, N., Boonchai, S., and Pengpengpit, N. (2014) Use of green coconut pulp as cream, milk, stabilizer and emulsifier replacer in germinated brown rice ice cream. Int. J. Biol. Biomolec. Agric. Food Biotechnol. Eng. 8, 459-462.
- Sakurai, K., Kokubo, S. Hakamata K., Tomita, M., and Yoshida, S. (1996) Effect of production conditions on ice cream melting resistance and hardness. Milchwissenschaft 51, 451-454.
- Shin, H. S., Lee, J. H., Pestika, J. J., and Ustunol, Z. (2000) Growth and viability of commercial Bifidobacterium spp. in skim milk containing oligosaccharides and inulin. J. Food Sci. 65, 884-887. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb13605.x
- Sofjan, R. P. and Hartel, R. W. (2004) Effects of overrun on structural and physical characteristics of ice cream. Int. Dairy J. 14, 255-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2003.08.005
- Tanaka, M., Pearson, A. M., and deMan, J. M. (1972) Measurement of ice cream texture with the constant speed penetrometer. Canad. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. 5, 105-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0315-5463(72)74098-5
- Wilbey, R. A., Cooke, T., and Dimos, G. (1998) Effects of solute concentration, overrun and storage on the hardness of ice cream. In: W. Buchheim (Ed.), Ice Cream: proceedings of the international symposium held in Athens, Greece, 18-19 September 1997, International Dairy Federation, Brussels, Belgium. 186-187.
- Yeon, S. J., Hong, G. E., Kim, C. K., Park, W. J., Kim, S. K., and Lee, C. H. (2015) Effects of yogurt containing fermented pepper juice on the body fat and cholesterol level in high fat and high cholesterol diet fed rat. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 35, 479-485. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.4.479
- Yeon, S. J., Kim, S. K., Kim, J. M., Lee, S. K., and Lee, C. H. (2013) Effect of fermented pepper powder on body fat accumulation in mice fed a high-fat diet. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 77, 2294-2297. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.130063