- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Fingerprint Liveness Detection Using Patch-Based Convolutional Neural Networks
패치기반 컨볼루션 뉴럴 네트워크 특징을 이용한 위조지문 검출
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2017.01.14
- Published : 2017.02.28
Nowadays, there have been an increasing number of illegal use cases where people try to fabricate the working hours by using fake fingerprints. So, the fingerprint liveness detection techniques have been actively studied and widely demanded in various applications. This paper proposes a new method to detect fake fingerprints using CNN (Convolutional Neural Ntworks) based on the patches of fingerprint images. Fingerprint image is divided into small square sized patches and each patch is classified as live, fake, or background by the CNN. Finally, the fingerprint image is classified into either live or fake based on the voting result between the numbers of fake and live patches. The proposed method does not need preprocessing steps such as segmentation because it includes the background class in the patch classification. This method shows promising results of 3.06% average classification errors on LivDet2011, LivDet2013 and LivDet2015 dataset.
fingerprint liveness detection;CNN;fake fingerprint detection;presentation attack
- M, Kiyoung, "Biometrics technology trend and prospective," TTA Jounal 98. pp. 38-47.
- A. Wiehe, T. Sondrol, Olsen, O. K. and F. Skarderud, "Attacking fingerprint sensors," Gjovik University College, 2004.
- P. Lapsley, J. Lee, D. Pare and N. Hoffman, "Anti-fraud biometric scanner that accurately detects blood flow," US Patent 5,737,439, 1998.
- A. Antonelli, R. Cappelli, D. Maio and D. Maltoni, "Fake Finger Detection by Skin Distortion Analysis," Information Forensics and Security, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 360-373, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2006.879289
- D. Baldisserra, A. Franco, D. Maio and D. Maltoni, "Fake fingerprint detection by odor analysis," in Advances in Biometrics, Berlin Heidelberg, Springer, pp. 265-272, 2005.
- A. K. Jain, Y. Chen and M. Demirku, "Pores and ridges: high- resolution fingerprint matching using level 3 features," Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 15-27, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2007.250596
- D. Gragnaniello, G. Poggi, C. Sansone and L. Verdoliva, "Local contrast phase descriptor for fingerprint liveness detection," Pattern Recognition, vol. 9, Jun, 2014.
- D. Gragnaniello, G. Poggi, C. Sansone and L. Verdoliva, "Fingerprint Liveness Detection based on Weber Local Image Descriptor," IEEE Workshop on Biometric Measurements and Systems for Security and Medical Applications, 2013.
- X. Jia, X. Yang, K. Cao, Y. Zang, N. Zhang, R. Dai and J. Tian, "Multi-scale Local Binary Pattern with Filters for Spoof Fingerprint Detection," Information Sciences, 2013.
- L. Ghiani, G. L. Marcialis and F. Roli, "Fingerprint liveness detection by Local Phase Quantization," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, 2012.
- S. B. Nikam and S. Agarwal, "Local Binary Pattern and wavelet-based spoof fingerprint detection," International Journal if Biometrics, vol. 1, pp. 141-159, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBM.2008.020141
- Y. LeCun, "Generalization and network design strategies," Connections in Perspective, 1989.
- R.F. Nogueira, R. de Alencar Lotufo, and R.C. Machado, "Evaluating software-based fingerprint liveness detection using convolutional net- works and local binary patterns," IEEE Workshop on Biometric Measurements and Systems for Security and Medical Applications, 2014.
- C. Wang, K. Li, Z. Wu and Q. Zhao, "A DCNN Based Fingerprint Liveness Detection Algorithm with Voting Strategy," CCBR, LNCS 9428, pp. 241-249. 2015
- G.L. Marcialis, A. Lewicke, B. Tan, "First International fingerprint liveness detection competition - LivDet 2009," 15thInt. Conf. Image Analysis and Processing, pp. 12-23, 2009.
- D. Gragnaniello, G. Poggi, C. Sansone, and L. Verdoliva, "An investigation of local descriptors for biometric spoofing detection," IEEE Trans. Inf. Forensics Security, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 849-863, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2015.2404294
- R.F. Nogueira, R. de Alencar Lotufo, and R.C. Machado, "Fingerprint Liveness Detection Using Convolutional Neural Networks," IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1206-1213, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2520880
- D. Yambay, L. Ghiani, P. Denti, G. L. Marcialis, F. Roli, and S. Schuckers, "LivDet 2011-Fingerprint liveness detection compe- tition 2011," Proc. 5th IAPR Int. Conf. Biometrics (ICB), pp. 208 -215, 2012.
- L. Ghiani et al., "LivDet 2013 fingerprint liveness detection competition 2013," Proc. Int. Conf. Biometrics (ICB), pp. 1-6, 2013.
- V. Mura, L. Ghiani, G. L. Marcialis, F. Roli, D. A. Yambay and S. A. Schuckers, "LivDet 2015 fingerprint liveness detection competition 2015," Biometrics Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS), 2015 IEEE 7th International Conference on, Arlington, VA, pp. 1-6, 2015.
- K. Weonjin, L. Qiongxiu, P. Eunsoo, K. Jungmin, and K. Hakil, "Fingerprint liveness detection and visualization using convolutional neural networks feature," Journal of The Korea Institute of Information Security & Criptology, 26(5), pp. 1259-1267, Oct. 2016. https://doi.org/10.13089/JKIISC.2016.26.5.1259
Grant : 스마트 디바이스용 박막 타입 지문센서 모듈 및 프라이버시 보호 응용 SW 기술개발
Supported by : 정보통신기술진흥센터