- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Feeding habits of larval Clupea pallasii in the Eastern Jinhae Bay, Korea
진해만 동부해역에 분포하는 청어 (Clupea pallasii) 자치어의 식성
- KIM, Hyeon-Ji (Department of Seafood & Aquaculture Science / Institue of Marine Industry/Marine Bio-Education & Research Center, Gyeonsang National University) ;
- JEONG, Jae-Mook (Coastal Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- PARK, Jong-Hyeok (Department of Seafood & Aquaculture Science / Institue of Marine Industry/Marine Bio-Education & Research Center, Gyeonsang National University) ;
- BAECK, Gun-Wook (Department of Seafood & Aquaculture Science / Institue of Marine Industry/Marine Bio-Education & Research Center, Gyeonsang National University)
- 김현지 (경상대학교 해양식품생명의학과.해양산업연구소.해양생물교육연구센터) ;
- 정재묵 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 박종혁 (경상대학교 해양식품생명의학과.해양산업연구소.해양생물교육연구센터) ;
- 백근욱 (경상대학교 해양식품생명의학과.해양산업연구소.해양생물교육연구센터)
- Received : 2016.10.25
- Accepted : 2017.02.16
- Published : 2017.02.28
The feeding habits of larval (5.0~27.0 mm SL) Clupea pallasii were examined and 1,523 individuals were collected from November 2010 to March 2011 in the coastal water of Eastern Jinhae Bay, Korea. Larval C. pallasii were fed mainly on copepods that constituted 55.2% in IRI. Monogeneans were the second largest prey component, another prey items tintinnids, cladocerans and ostracoda. The results of analysis in ontogenetic changes exhibit high during the daytime, two small size classes (
Larval fishes;Clupea pallasii;Feeding habits;Daily feeding rate
- Blaxter JHS. 1965. The feeding of herring larvae and their ecology in relation to feeding. CalCOFI Reports, 10, 79-88.
- Blaxter JHS. 1986. Development of sense organs and behavior of teleost larvae with special reference to feeding and predator avoidance. Trans Am Fish Soc 115, 98-114. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1986)115<98:NLFCDO>2.0.CO;2
- Chang CY. 2010. Invertebrate Fauna of Korea-Continental Harpacticoida. NIBR 21(4), 246.
- Chesney Jr EJ. 1989. Estimating the food requirements of striped bass larvae Morone saxatilis : effects of light, turbidity and turbulence. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 53, 191-200. (DOI:0171-8630/89/0053/0191/$03.00) https://doi.org/10.3354/meps053191
- Choi HC, Park JM , Youn SH and Huh SH. 2015. Feeding Habits of Larval Clupea pallasii from the Nakdong River Estuary, Korea. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 48, 498-506. (DOI:10.5657/KFAS.2015.0498)
- Chyung MK. 1977. The Fishes of Korea. Ilji-sa, Seoul, Korea, 727.
- Eldridge, MB, Whipple JA, Eng D, Bowers MJ and Jarvis BM. 1981. Effects of food and feeding factors on laboratoryreared striped bass larvae. Trans Am Fish Soc 110, 111-120. (DOI:10.1577/1548-8659(1981)110<111:EOFAFF>2.0.CO;2) https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1981)110<111:EOFAFF>2.0.CO;2
- Foy RJ and Norcross BL. 1999. Spatial and temporal variability in the diet of juvenile Pacific herring (Clupea pallasii) in Prince William Sound, Alaska Can J Zool 77, 697-706. (DOI:10.1139/z99-030) https://doi.org/10.1139/z99-030
- Huh SH and Baeck GW. 2003. Feeding habits of Repomucenus valenciennei collected in the coastal waters of Gadeok-do, Korea. Kor J Ichthyol 15, 289-294. (ECN:ECN-0102-2009-520-003314962)
- Hunter JR. 1981. Feeding ecology and predation of marine fish larvae. Marine fish larvae: morphological, ecology, and relation to fisheries. University of Washington Press, Seattle, 343-355.
- Islam MS and Tanaka M. 2009. Diet and prey selection in larval and juvenile Japanese anchovy Engraulis japonicus in Ariake Bay, Japan. Aquat Ecol 43, 549-558. (DOI:10.1007/s10452-008-9207-6) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10452-008-9207-6
- Ji HS, Lee DW, Choi JH and Choi KH. 2015. Development of naturally-spawned pacific herring Clupea pallasii larvae. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 48, 362-367. DOI:10.5657/KFAS.2015.0362)
- (Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CH, Lee YJ, Kim BJ and Kim JH. 2005. Illustrated Book of Korean Fishes. Kyohak Publ, Seoul, Korea, 615.
- Kim TK and Kim ES. 2009. Seawater Quality of Jinhae Bay and Adjacent Sea of Gaduk Island, Korea. J Kor Soc Mar Environ Saf 6, 137-143.
- Maran BV, Oh YS, Moon SY, Soh HY, Kim CK and Myoung JG. 2014. Monogeneans (Platyhelminthes) from marine fishes of Tongyeong, Korea. J parasitic diseases 38, 277-285. (DOI:10.1007/s12639-012-0232-y) https://doi.org/10.1007/s12639-012-0232-y
- Pinkas L, Oliphant MS and Iverson ILK. 1971. Food habits of albacore, bluefin tuna and bonito in California waters. Fish Bull 152, 1-105.
- Shirota A. 1970 Studies on the mouth size of fish larvae (in Japanese with English abstract). Nippon Suisan Gakk 36, 353-368. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.36.353
- Soh HY. 2010 Invertebrate fauna of Korea-Marine Planktonic Copepods. NIBR, 21(3), 199.
- Soh HY and Choi SD. 2004. Species composition and occurrence patterns of zooplankton in Jinhae Bay. Kor J Environ Biol 22, 43-56. (ECN:ECN-0102-2009-470-002701802)
- Takatsu T, Suzuki Y, Shimizu A, Imura K, Hiraoka Y and Shiga N. 2007. Feeding habits of stone flounder Platichthys bicoloratus larvae in Mutsu Bay, Japan. Fisheries Sci 73, 142-155. (DOI:10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01312.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01312.x
- Tamura T. 1952. Feeding sense of juvenile Japanese temperate bass (in Japanese with English abstract). Nippon Suisan Gakk 17, 8-12.
- Yamaji I. 1984. Illustration of the Marine Plankton of Japan. Hoikusha publishing Co., Ltd. 538.
- Yoo GI, Hue HK and Lee WC. 1991. Taxonomical revision on the genus Acartia (copepoda : calanoida) in the Korean Waters. Bull Kor Fish Soc 24, 255-265. (ECN:ECN-0102-2008-520-002470007)
- Youn SH, Oh GS, Chung MH. 2010. Zooplankton Community Structure and Copepod Production in the Seomjin River Estuary. Kor Soc Mar Environ Saf. 16, 369-379.
- Young JW and Davis TLO. 1990. Feeding ecology of larvae of southern bluefin, albacore and skipjack tunas (Pisces: Scombridae) in the Eastern Indian Ocean. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 6, 17-29. (DOI:10.3354/meps061017)